Print Thread
#547858 25/08/14 05:17 AM
B
Bacax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
So, I have been toying with the idea of making a character with no skills. I know the first reaction would be that I am an idiot, but hear me out.

For one thing, I was thinking of using a mod to either make custom henchmen, or start with all 4 characters as custom... personally, I dont see why one of those is not an option normally, but anyway.

So, I will have four characters, and one of which I was thinking to be a rogue type, but with such few ability points to spend, you can't really spread them out at ALL. If I have my numbers correct, you can max two abilities, put one more to 3, and dip into 3 more.
I will have three other characters to do most of the damage dealing anyway, so here is my idea for a skillless rogue:

Lucky Charm (To Max)
Lockpicking (To Max)
Pickpocketing (To 3)
Stealth
Bartering
Charisma

Now, I know that people are going to say that you can just bash locks, but there are some chests near NPCs that you can sneak to, but they dont like it if you are all bashy bashy on it. Also, some people dont bother picking pockets, but.... free stuff!

So, considering that I want to pick locks and pockets - do people think this could work? In combat, I can still use bows and/or daggers, since you just need dexterity to use them... I just wont have skills to go with them. Is this a viable option?

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
When you say skills, you mean Scoundrel, Marksman, Man-At-Arms, and only those types of Abilities?

It can definitely work, I'm just not sure how much fun it will be.

It's going to be a pain, at low level, when you need those combat abilities more. And at high level I feel like it's going to get tedious without any abilities of your own to spice things up.

B
Bacax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by dirigible
When you say skills, you mean Scoundrel, Marksman, Man-At-Arms, and only those types of Abilities?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

Also, I was thinking that I could give that character a bow, and they could be my main user of special arrows and scrolls... That may make them a bit more useful in combat.
I was also thinking that I could drop the bartering, and put 1 point into Geomancer just for the spider and poison dart... The only issue with that though, is that I would have to put attribute points into Int as well.

Edit: I would dip 1 point into Scoundrel instead of geomancer, to get walk in shadows, but it seems a waste if that is the only skill I would use... Two of the other starter skills need daggers, and I was thinking a bow/crossbow for this character

Edit 2: I was toying with the idea of putting 1 point into Aerotheurge instead of geomancy or scoundrel, since there is an invisibility spell... but the skills are still confusing me a bit. Does the 1-5 ability level only affect how many spells you can know, not the level of spell?

Last edited by Bacax; 25/08/14 12:31 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
I have a character like that on my current playthrough. She's more or less dead weight in combat (apart from being a decent hate magnet) but it's part of my challenge.

Using a mod called FourPlay, which allows you to have four custom characters at the beginning.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bacax
Does the 1-5 ability level only affect how many spells you can know, not the level of spell?

It affects how many spells of that category you can learn/use at a time, and how many AP the higher level spells will cost to cast.

B
Bacax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by Bacax
Does the 1-5 ability level only affect how many spells you can know, not the level of spell?

It affects how many spells of that category you can learn/use at a time, and how many AP the higher level spells will cost to cast.

So, even putting one point in Aerotheurge, for example, will let you cast chain lightning, as long as you have a high enough Int?

B
Bacax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Okay, so I cannot make up my mind. Maybe some more opinions will help. It may be worth it to note that I will have a bow user with some Perception, and I think I have decided to drop the 1 point in Barter to give a single point in a skill... Anyway, here are the options I am trying to decide between:

Option 1: Aerotheurge
Str/Int (Probably up to 15/10)
Str to carry more, since she will be doing all the looting, and using melee weapons.
Int for Aerotheurge - Invisibility spell might help when there are too many NPCs around for stealing, Feather Drop to get hard to reach loot closer.... and for the third spell - probably Lightning Strike, since I will be melee.

Option 2: Scoundrel
Str/Dex/Per (Probably up to 10/10/10)
Str - as above
Dex for scoundrel - Cloak and Dagger / Walk in Shadows to get to loot.. third skill probably Charming Touch
(Note, with this, I could potentially use bows instead of melee as well)
Perception would be mainly to find hidden things, as this character will likely be in the lead a lot, and also going off alone at times.

I think that I am leaning towards option 2 as it seems much more roguelike. I do kind of like the fact that the Aerotheurge could have a damaging skill though, whereas Scoundrel gets nothing unless I want to use daggers.... which I dont really want to do because I will mainly be doing basic attacks, where the dagger damage would be pretty low. 2 hand weapons, sword and shield, or even bows seem like a much better option.

So... input? I really only have the 1 ability point that I am willing to put into a a skill, and the matching attribute either way will likely be only up to 10... so it is kind of limiting.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Bacax:

As long as you have 1 point in Aerothurge, and are high enough level, you can learn any skill.

Intelligence will increase your damage, chance of applying status effects, and decrease the cooldown for the ability.
If your Ability level (Aerothurge rank) is too low, you will have to spend more AP to cast high level abilities.

Link Copied to Clipboard