Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Fend Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
F
At my first play I didn't get hurt much by the problem of skills books, I managed a respec of each character and only lost one skill in the process, and I could have get it anyway.

At my replay, I made an atypical party to spice the game and combats that are too easy.

I did 4 custom characters and now I realize that I won't get AOE base attack for one 2H, I tried a ton of scamloading but the diversity of respawn in shops is bad, possibly last patch made it worse. So right now I'm bored by this detail and it led me to wonder.

But is there a single good point in that crap system of random skills from shop?

A Roguelike game has a huge number of variation and could play on random for character builds, a game like D:OS doesn't have more than 1% of number of variations of a good roguelike, hence that random character build system is... non sense, boring.

So what's good in that awful design choice? The only answer I see: Nothing it's pure bad.

Subsidiary question: No mod to only fix that awful design point?

EDIT: The problem could be more for Man At Arm skills,

Last edited by Fend; 26/08/14 06:18 PM.
R
R
Solution: Save game editor

With kind regards,

Rashar.

F
Fend Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
F
Mmm thanks, on Mac tedious solution but ok I'll look for that to cancel my choices at character creation. Still a design I don't understand.

R
R
I can't help you clear that up, as I don't understand it either. Some "rare" skillbooks can be bought in your homestead from the elementals. It might be my imagination, but I think I seen whirlwind skillbook on the fire elemental.

Also there are some mods out there that allow the purchase of all skillbooks, not sure if modding is easier on a mac though.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
The Dust Devil skillbook actually doesn't exist, I've heard. Walk in Shadows is available either as an initial skill or a book in the homestead. I can't recall any others with this problem.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Yes, atm Dust devil doesnt exist. Whirlwind also cant be bought, so be carefull respecing char with it, because this skill is op.

Dust devil non-existent seems like a bug.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
....because they made a poor game design choice to use skill books AND like every piece of software it has some mistakes and oversights.

addict
addict
... Actually, it was deliberate.

The merchants will have most of the skillbooks you want if you check them after about every reset (i.e. every level up), except certain skillbooks that were never intended to be simply bought, but found / worked for.

The awkwardness starts when you have starting skills that you can choose that you never find in the world.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
The problem is that deliberate omission of few rare skills (most which are found as secrets on maps), does not sync well with respec system added to the game.

There needs to be a way to preserve those skills. Heck, why not just add logic that after such skill is learned, at least once, by player character, that it is added in random merchant pool in stores in homestead. Problem solved...

Alternate solution would be that respec automatically adds all skills that were previously known by player characters to the merchant pool. That way no "knowledge" is lost forever...

Last edited by player1; 01/09/14 09:47 PM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
......yes, okay if you prefer, a deliberately poor game design choice.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Whirlwind can actually be bought ingame, i had it on 2 MAA chars in my first playthrough. Can't remember where though, but my guess is homestead.

stranger
stranger
OP:

You want Whirlwind attack on all characters you want
+ the game don't allow this
= Bad design

I don't agree with your equation. When I play, I desire all kinds of things for my characters. When I don't always get that, it doesn't necessarily mean bad game design. Sometimes, that can even be good game design, as I see it.

I quite like the idea some things (some skills for instance) are limited, that you have to plan things carefully and sometimes learn to suck up your mistakes or accept the built in limitations. If you want to bend the game to your desires, use mods or an editor.

Last edited by Zimith; 02/09/14 04:20 PM.
old hand
old hand
Hopefully this is part of the Re-balance patch, availability to all spell books AND they aren't consumed on usage.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Are you sure it wasn't Dust Devil on one, Whirlwind on the other? They are similar skills and have the same icon + cooldown.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The game as designed, requires you to adapt. It is part of what makes the game fun. Maybe you start out as a bow using ranger, but then you get an amazing legendary crossbow, so you switch, etc.

Again, that is what makes the game FUN. As another poster said, you have to sometimes suck up to a mistake you made and carry on.

Too many people don't want an adaptive, roleplaying game. They want a game where they can do what they want when they want.

I agree with many here, and say: use a mod or a game editor, or what for someone to create a god-mode hack that allows you to specify what loot you get from chests. Have fun with that. But stop asking that the game itself be nerfed.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sadre
The game as designed, requires you to adapt. It is part of what makes the game fun.

(snip)

But stop asking that the game itself be nerfed.

Wouldn't this request be a buff though? If it had all the skillbooks available in some manner, then if then people asked to have them randomly available le instead, that would be a nerf.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by sadre
The game as designed, requires you to adapt. It is part of what makes the game fun. Maybe you start out as a bow using ranger, but then you get an amazing legendary crossbow, so you switch, etc.

Again, that is what makes the game FUN. As another poster said, you have to sometimes suck up to a mistake you made and carry on.

Too many people don't want an adaptive, roleplaying game. They want a game where they can do what they want when they want.

I agree with many here, and say: use a mod or a game editor, or what for someone to create a god-mode hack that allows you to specify what loot you get from chests. Have fun with that. But stop asking that the game itself be nerfed.

Ummm, no.

Fun is subjective and your definition of genuine complaints as "nerf requests" is again based on, YOUR view, that having to find skill books is part of the fun.

It's not fun to me. It's not fun to other people as well and by posting on this forum, expressing our views, we are providing feedback regarding what is considered fun to us.

Presumably we can agree that most people will not play a game, or even purchase a game, that is not, or promises to be, "fun", yes?

There is no absolute scientific answer to whether having to find a skillbook, or leveling up and returning to a vendor to magically find a new skillbook is fun. It's subjective.

It sounds like you enjoy it as it adds to the challenge for you, which you enjoy. It annoys me to the point of not wanting to play the game and not wishing to purchase a future Larian RPG that insists on this game mechanic.

Both perfectly reasonable perspectives.

Link Copied to Clipboard