Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Romus5 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I was thinking up some house rules I would place on myself to make the game more challenging, and thought I would share.

1. A character can only receive healing from a spell once during combat and once outside of combat, so they could end up in the next fight not full health. Potions can be used once in each as well. This would give a bit more reason to have food on hand as an extra source of healing. Man at arms bandaging skill can only be used outside of combat (would be cool if this required crafted bandages).

2. If a camp is found, you can heal one more time and eat as well.

3. I was thinking of giving a total arrow cap of 20 and you can decide what those 20 are. Just a more realistic cap on how many arrows could fit in a quiver.

4. You can't carry several sets of armor around. 1 heavy, 2 med, or 3 light can be carried. Same for weapons.

5. And thinking of imposing this on myself http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=557356&#Post557356

Last edited by Romus5; 22/10/14 05:43 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Where are the self restrictions "to make the game more difficult" exactly? Nothing of the above would raise difficulty, not even just slightly.

Regards,
Thorsten

Last edited by Thorsten; 22/10/14 06:47 PM.
R
Romus5 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Less healing, less gold (filling your backpack with tons of armor and weapons to go sell) doesn't make things harder? I can easily get over 10k gold after a few fights and looting chests.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Melee weapons and abilities only...there you go.

old hand
old hand
Don't have mages or archers.
Leave the teleport pyramids in Cyseal.
Don't use barter, crafting or blacksmithing AT ALL!
Play as only two characters, no henchment or other characters like Jahan.
NEVER use resurrect. Once a character dies, they are done for good.
Only use the talent to speak to animals (some quests can't be done without this).

WATERMAN MODE!
Get a giant tank of water near your computer desk with a waterproof keyboard and mouse. Only play the game while submerged in water, you must pause it when coming up for air. If this is STILL too easy, don't use goggles where everything is blurry.

Does this help? smile

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
R
Romus5 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
The idea is to not remove cool aspects of the game, just restrict them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian wanted to add a new difficultly level.
Any news on that? (next Patch?)

How about not using CC spells more than once during battle. No laying them down before battle. In the portion I played (Cyseal), I found that oil slick spamming turns a decent fight into a outright slaughter rather easily...

Insanity Is Just A Matter Of Opinion
R
Romus5 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Yeah was thinking of not allowing certain spells in my game, but it is a hard call because then I will get into a battle where "stun" is going on like crazy in a water or blood surface and I am getting owned.

I think some of the easier battles should just be beefed up somehow. I wish they had it so that it looks at your party level, and if the party is lower level the battle stays as-is. But if you are the same level or higher, they throw in more enemies.

A
stranger
stranger
A
no leech

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Animalmom
no leech

Is Leech really still good after the huge nerf it took?

Personally Im optimizing for power, not voluntary restrictions, and Ive been skipping it since...

Hell I like reading threads like this and doing the opposite to see if other people have figured out effective ways to play I could incorporate in my playstyle smile

Last edited by Nameless Hero; 24/10/14 01:34 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
oh didnt realize it was nerfed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I suggest the next: do not play Divinity Original Sin at all,you cannot imagine how it would be difficult resist temptation to play it-)

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
W
stranger
stranger
W
Well, so long as we're sharing:

I personally restrict myself from using traits or tactics I consider unbalanced or cheesy:

No Glass Cannon
No Lone Wolf
No Leech
No Zombie
Invisible can only be used to pass by enemies; you can't open doors or take things

No cheesing fights. That means that if I didn't know I was walking into a boss encounter, I can't make pre-battle preparations like setting traps or positioning people ahead of time. I am allowed to scout ahead if something is obviously up, but I'm only allowed to set up a trap once I've actually physically seen the enemy.

Also, no positioning people during dialogue. It's a cool mechanic; I like the idea that my guys can sneak behind the dumb villain while they are talking but at the same time it's kind of lame that I can just pause the conversation indefinitely while I have someone else coat the area in oil barrels in full view of the enemy and all their henchmen.

I also use the source difficulty mod so that enemies have enough action points to actually fight back. It makes healing and CC a lot more important as I can't simply rush in and one shot everyone with my warrior.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The game needs a hard mode, more so than the one built in. The most recent patch on Steam that made mention of "balancing" the combat seems to have made it insignificant. In the original release game build a part of level 3 characters would be committing suicide taking on the level 7 wolves in the Cyseal zone. Playing a new game after the patch in order to try the new rogue and ranger characters with a back story I was able to easily defeat the level 7 mobs at level 3! The battle against Braccas Rex was comical at best. The boss ran into the door way where you enter his dungeon and stood there watching me kill his minions and only after the last one was dead did he wake up. The ice king battle King Boreas, prior to the patch on normal the battle was a long drawn out slug fest that was allot of fun. After the patch my group had him at 1/2 health at the end of turn one and he only managed to summon one set of elementals before he was dead. After that battle I increased the difficulty to hard in the hopes of making it more of a battle instead of a slaughter for the enemy!

I have about 550 + hours in the game and I assume part of the problem is I know the game too well now. My usual gold total is between 700,000 ( if I am being lazy ) to 1.1 million if I really work at it. Coll down time on all spells is 1 turn due to intellect numbers as high as 26. Base damage for Madora is about 570, AC is 200 + and with her speed at 13, she is virtually unstoppable on the battle field. On my last play through #5 I didn't bother with constitution a whole lot. My Ranger with Glass Cannon skill was at 1300 HP and my Tank, Madora was at 2600. I concentrated on speed ( for more action points in combat ) perception for my ranger at 15 and 15 on my lead character to spot traps and hidden items without the use of pots or spells. Black smithing over 2 was all I needed and 3 in craft then +2 more with gear. Lore master was 3 and +3 with gear. I notice that random drops favor lore master and telekinesis allot more than is needed.

The pure randomness of the buffs on loot is a real sore point with me. I find a 2 handed weapon that has +1 sneak and +1 one handed sword? Heavy full plate armor with +1 dexterity and +1 Bow? The loot tables really need a good over haul as the random effects are pure rubbish and very lazy on the part of Larian.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warkupo
Well, so long as we're sharing:

I personally restrict myself from using traits or tactics I consider unbalanced or cheesy:

No Glass Cannon
No Lone Wolf
No Leech
No Zombie
Invisible can only be used to pass by enemies; you can't open doors or take things

No cheesing fights. That means that if I didn't know I was walking into a boss encounter, I can't make pre-battle preparations like setting traps or positioning people ahead of time. I am allowed to scout ahead if something is obviously up, but I'm only allowed to set up a trap once I've actually physically seen the enemy.

Also, no positioning people during dialogue. It's a cool mechanic; I like the idea that my guys can sneak behind the dumb villain while they are talking but at the same time it's kind of lame that I can just pause the conversation indefinitely while I have someone else coat the area in oil barrels in full view of the enemy and all their henchmen.

I also use the source difficulty mod so that enemies have enough action points to actually fight back. It makes healing and CC a lot more important as I can't simply rush in and one shot everyone with my warrior.

You still think that leech is overpowered after the nerf? I mean, it's still better than a lot of talents, but much more reasonable now. And you think Zombie is unbalanced? I've heard people say this, but I haven't heard much explanation. Is it because lots of enemies have poison attacks? Or does it just seem like an excessive amount of healing?

The pure randomness of the buffs on loot is a real sore point with me. I find a 2 handed weapon that has +1 sneak and +1 one handed sword? Heavy full plate armor with +1 dexterity and +1 Bow? The loot tables really need a good over haul as the random effects are pure rubbish and very lazy on the part of Larian.

I actually think a 2-handed weapon with +sneak could be kind of cool, if you were making a sneaky warrior or some weird build like that. Or a warrior who uses a bow sometimes? Strange loot rolls can be annoying, but they can also be perfect for certain characters. Of course, +1 single handed on a two handed sword is stupid and not possibly useful in any way, but that's the only possibility of those you list that I would completely eliminate. I also agree that loremaster and telekenis buffs seem excessively common.

Last edited by Baardvark; 29/10/14 06:33 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard