Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

TotalBiscuit addressing his opinion on the livestream above. He was also a part of it momentarily.

Another video of Christina Sommers, feminist, regarding Gamergate.

Another article about it.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by henryv
I see what you mean. I think that "he" apologized to pinsof on whatever "he" have done. "He" didn't know that pinsof's career has been destroyed because of "his" act. I just didn't save that specific tweet on my file so I can't present you any evidence.

By that I take it you mean Pinsof's former employer apologised? It's so hard to keep track sometimes... I think all three people involved need to do some apologising, the woman who tried the donation scam, Pinsof and his employer, but that situation has really developed a life of its own and I'm aware of the risk of making it somehow emblematic of GamerGate since it's a rather tangential issue at best, in spite of my feelings about it being an example.

I somewhat agree with you that it has been hijacked/misrepresented into oblivion, but current discussion tells me that gamers supporting Gamergate are now keeping their heads into discussing the corruption/bad journalism issue or keeping themselves on track. The one oblivious to being a gamer, who doesn't even game at all, are somewhat brought up by the main stream media, and it changed the priorities for a little while.

This seems not an unreasonable conclusion: given the very high media profile of GamerGate, and much of it not very flattering, I suspect most people are now aware that they really need to ensure their behaviour is spotless. I've little doubt that there'll still be hot-heads and troglodytes aligned with it, as there always is with anything, but hopefully not enough to keep on derailing what is actually quite a serious matter with the usual sensationalised reporting which handily misses the point...

J'aime le fromage.
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vometia
snip

By that I take it you mean Pinsof's former employer apologised? It's so hard to keep track sometimes... I think all three people involved need to do some apologising, the woman who tried the donation scam, Pinsof and his employer, but that situation has really developed a life of its own and I'm aware of the risk of making it somehow emblematic of GamerGate since it's a rather tangential issue at best, in spite of my feelings about it being an example.

Sorry for not getting specific. The person who asked for the charity fund apologized to pinsof. I don't have an idea if Pinsof apologized, but I do understand his position there. His previous employer probably won't apologize to him since he's the one on the hot seat. We are just attacking the journalists behind it. For me though, this is not the emblamatic of Gamergate. There are many more articles that argue there is corruption within the Media. Such as:

Collusion

Receiving bribes

Lack of Integrity

Bad Journalism

and don't forget the timeline I showed earlier

The only thing why it is being brought up was that what the GJP did is illegal on certain states.

snip

This seems not an unreasonable conclusion: given the very high media profile of GamerGate, and much of it not very flattering, I suspect most people are now aware that they really need to ensure their behaviour is spotless. I've little doubt that there'll still be hot-heads and troglodytes aligned with it, as there always is with anything, but hopefully not enough to keep on derailing what is actually quite a serious matter with the usual sensationalised reporting which handily misses the point...

Again, it was due to the media pushing this narrative. We also did our part in investigating on the harassment of a known personality, but I bet the media won't report it since it's going to make their narrative look bad.

It's probably not within the ranks, but probably third party trolls. I believe GNAA, Something Awful are probably involved. We can't control it as they have their own agenda. As I've mentioned before, a harassment/doxxing of any kind is reported first on twitter administrators/Customer support probably, then escalated to the authorities if it is threatening enough.

Again, additional links:
TB gives his opinion on the recent Salon Article. He also discusses how Youtube commentary works.

David Pakman Interview with Brianna Wu

Last edited by henryv; 29/10/14 05:59 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
In that case, I would appreciate not referring to a trans-woman as "he". She's "she". End of story. Apart from anything, it's basic decency, regardless of what else they may have done. For the record, further to my stated interest in this part of the case, that designation could technically include me, though I prefer just "woman", "she" etc. In my experience, there's not many positive things to be said about people who won't accommodate that.

On topic, this sort of thing is likely to turn those of us who are on the fence away from what GamerGate claims to stand for, and sadly reinforces the (albeit rather hysterically over-stated, thus far) claims of misogyny. Let's not go there.

J'aime le fromage.
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
In that case, I would appreciate not referring to a trans-woman as "he". She's "she". End of story. Apart from anything, it's basic decency, regardless of what else they may have done. For the record, further to my stated interest in this part of the case, that designation could technically include me, though I prefer just "woman", "she" etc. In my experience, there's not many positive things to be said about people who won't accommodate that.

On topic, this sort of thing is likely to turn those of us who are on the fence away from what GamerGate claims to stand for, and sadly reinforces the (albeit rather hysterically over-stated, thus far) claims of misogyny. Let's not go there.

Understood and thanks for the correction. Everyday is a learning process. I apologize to everyone who has been affected by the pronouns I used.

Anyways, additional links:
David Pakman Interviews John Bain (Total Biscuit). More focused on the ethical issues and gaming review process.

Interview of TB and Totillo (Kotaku). 2 hour long.

Current Happenings on GJP

Off-Topic
Art of Gamergate. Image is in the description.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thanks! And I apologise for being perhaps more tetchy than was really necessary. laugh

J'aime le fromage.
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Double post.

Last edited by henryv; 02/11/14 06:08 AM.

henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks! And I apologise for being perhaps more tetchy than was really necessary. laugh

No problem! I learned a thing or two from our discussion.

IGN will change their Ethics policy. I won't be hyped from all this though until I see the public documents about it. Additionally, I'm not comfortable with the word "permanent" they used as the policy put out in place might also be criticized and not sufficient for the consumer. In other words, it needs to be flexible at least to some extent and it could also be beneficial to them due to technological changes/consumer demand. I don't visit IGN myself so I don't know how they review/rate products/games, but I might do after this. Anyways, as Jennie Barahj have stated, there is still an observation period if the policies are being adhered to in practice.

BBC Interview with Sargon

Latest Censorship

Updated Boycott List

Gamergate from an Occupy Wall Street activist perspective.

Inspirational:
Community Piece: The Humanity of #GamerGate 10/31/14
Community Piece: The Humanity of #GamerGate 10/28/14

Last edited by henryv; 02/11/14 06:01 AM.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It'll be interesting to see what happens, and if these ethics policy changes really make any difference. Even apart from what GamerGate brought into focus, games journalism has suffered an increasingly bad problem with credibility for a long time now. I think someone at IGN must realise that if nothing else, they have a bit of a PR problem that needs some work. Hopefully it's not just a PR solution as that wouldn't really do anything other than being a short-term fix.

J'aime le fromage.
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have the same sentiment. As the saying goes, don't count the chick until the egg hatches. I hope they revise it accordingly if it is not satisfactory enough.

Additional links:
Conflict of Interest

Producers didn't want the full story of Gamergate

Another developer got negative press.

Inspirational:
Developer of Freak speaks out on Gamergate

Others:
Culture out of Chaos: The #NotYourShield Uprising

Interview with Jennifer Dawe

The attitudes of these "Good Journalists".

henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've been out of the loop now for a week. I found a new job and the workload is taxing. Company had an upgrade in hardware and software in addition to me being new to the culture/process. I still send emails if I have the time though.

Anyways, if you guys want an update, visit a subreddit called Kotaku in Action. If you want to watch a video of the current happenings/recent happenings, subscribe/watch this youtube channel. To be honest, I haven't watched the latter a lot so I apologize if it became unnecessary.

Last edited by henryv; 10/11/14 01:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard