#558473 12/11/14 06:09 AM
K
Kimpton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hello,
Most of my family enjoy a good game to get through over the Christmas period and we thought it would be a good idea to try this game. Ideally we need it to support 3 people, but preferably 4. Can someone just verify if 3-4 people can play, or by COOP do they mean 2 player (We all want to play the main story line together)

So yea that's basically it, before we go buying 4 copies of the game, we just wanted to know.

Thanks in advance.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
Yes, you can play with 3 frinds, but;
You must (if you host game) have 4 character in party.
You can take NPC or w8 for moment when you can create new character with magick mirror.
Oh just forget, you must do this:
Originally Posted by Raze
For the hex edit method, the term you need to search for is NumPlayers near the start of the '..\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Main_1.pak' file.

Last edited by TGM; 12/11/14 07:23 AM.
T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T

Support
Support

The main campaign is focused on 2 player co-op, but mods can have 4 players. There were a couple mods which allowed the main campaign to be played with 4 players, but I don't think they have been updated to be compatible with changes in the recent game updates.

The hex edit TGM mentioned is a fairly easy to do.

K
Kimpton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Hm,
Editing game files to get the game to work sounds a bit iffy... But if you can promise that it wont ruin saves ect.. (basically doesn't break the game), then I'll buy 4 copies. Shame the mods haven't been updated - it would seem the modding community don't like the way modding is done (I was doing a little reading).

I have fair knowledge in Python and I've made a few MC mods, what language is this game written in?

Last edited by Kimpton; 12/11/14 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Support
Support

Changing the value for NumPlayers shouldn't cause any problems with the game or saves. It may need to be re-done if a future update changes that file, and a backup copy of the file left in that folder can cause the game to crash on startup (as noted in the link above), but lots of people have played with the either the 4 player mods or the hex edit.

The editor is being updated, and there are usability improvements planned. The same engine is being used for Larian's next games, so development of the editor will continue.

K
Kimpton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Does everyone need to change the value or only the host need to? Also, if an update affects this file - and I open the game, what actually happens. Do the other two players data get deleted? Sorry to be a pest, but if I'm going to fork over the best part of ï½£100, I just want to make sure it works smile

1. Will the extra 2 players get deleted when a future update gets kicked out that changes that file.
2. Does everyone need to change this file
3. Does the game run smoothly with the 4 players. I.e any known bugs
4. Does this stop the whole companion additions?

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
1) How other players can be deleted? All saves will be in you DB. All party will be fine, if you want it.
2) I don't know.
3) Did't bugs, will same type with 2 players in co-op.
4) How it possybly?

K
Kimpton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
2. Can someone confirm this
4. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me okay - I mean with the 4 different people, can we not have the companions with us?

Support
Support

If an update reset this, you would just be able to have one player join after the update, until you re-did the edit. I'm not sure if those joining would need this edit, as well.

The 3rd and 4th players would be taking over the henchmen/companions in the party. I don't know if that would eliminate their quests and comments, but suspect so.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
4) nope, all saves in host DB. You can have 2/3 story mod with any friends.

K
Kimpton Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
Can someone test this out for me - Would be helpful to know all this info wink

Support
Support

Next week I should have a second computer that can probably run the game. I can borrow a laptop to try for a third, but I'm not terribly optimistic about that.

Feedback from anyone who has actually played the game this way would be better.

Link Copied to Clipboard