Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

For those playing in French or German (EDIT: or Italian), are there any translation issues still remaining in the current version of the game? Anything translated poorly or incorrectly, etc?

Specific examples would be very helpful, stating exactly what is wrong, or links to other places where this is currently being (or has recently been) discussed. Either would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Raze; 23/03/15 11:38 PM. Reason: add Italian
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Ok, I have a new question, for anyone who has played the game since September. How would you rate the translation in general? Would you say that overall it was good / ok / mediocre / poor (etc)? Would you rate the problems as rare / occasional / common / frequent (etc)? Are most of the problems minor issues with the choice of translation, or do they stand out like they were done by a non-native speaker of the language?

H
stranger
stranger
H
Playing the game in german with my wife, currently at lvl 10, so we are in the mid game.

So far we didn't notice any translation errors.
But we didn't really watch for it either.

For now i would say that the translation into german is very good.
The Dialogs are fun to read, many great funny sentenances, expecially when i can talk to the character of my wife.

I would definetly say that the translation into german was done by a native speaking german person.

Too bad that there are no german voiceovers, we were close to switch to fully "english" because of that. But i know how much work it would be to create german voiceovers. So no big deal.

M
addict
addict
M
I'll reinstall the French text and voices and give some info soon.

Edit : Found a bug. The wishing well in Cyseal says his name is Wally, but the game tells me he is called Sam smile

Last edited by melianos; 05/01/15 08:27 PM.
E
apprentice
apprentice
E
No problems with the french version so far. Good job wink

M
addict
addict
M
A few comments about the french translation.

There is a bug with the description of a marksman skill.
It's a stance that gives (following description)

Damage : +25%
added Damage : -10%

I guess it's "chance to hit -10%" instead smile

Also, when you speak to the people in Cyseal, there are like 8 different things you may ask. Some of the questions use "thou", others use "you" (in french "you" is a different word if used singular or plural), which is really weird.

Also, while the translation is much better than before, it sometimes sounds not-fantasish. Not sure how to say it, but some of the phrasing would be better suited to a modern context, not high fantasy.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I noticed some translation issuses with the german version. Many of the status-effect chat massages are grammatically wrong ("Roderick was hit for" translates to "Roderick war getroffen f?", it should be "Roderick wurde getroffen f?").

The game sometimes displayes an effect called "umhergetastet" when someone is hit by an elemental effect. I am not really sure what this means as it makes no real sense. I assume that it should refer to some kind of aoe-component of the spell, what is it called in english?

Overall i would rate the translation as "ok" since there really are a lot of errors (resulting from wrong status messages, so in fact its only one error but one that occurs very frequently).

As this is my first post, i just wanted to add that i really enjoy the game so far, i am on level 11 of my 1st playthrough.

C
C
First let me say, it's a great game that has me addicted. Other than the so called AAA titles, it's what an RPG should look like.

Second, I always play my games in english, if they were made in english. I assume that's the case with DOS. I gave the german version a try and for me it's immersion breaking compared to the english one. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the translation itself. It's only that it gives the overall appearance of children talking to each other. Some of the issues are how characters adress NPCs. The NPCs come over as polite, whilst the player seems to be rather blunt. The devil lies in the details and that's a general problem with game translations. They never live up to the original.

M
addict
addict
M
There is thing in the French translation that bothers me. Whenever I want to teleport, translation is not consistant.

For example, if I teleport to Luculla Forest, two of the places I can teleport to are called "Forest of Luculla - Some place" while another one is called "Luculla - Some other place". So two teleporters in the list are next to each other while the other is far away.

And in Cyseal it's worse, some places are called "Cyseals' Wherever" while others are called "That place in Cyseal".

I'd rather have it be all consistant, all places being called "Cyseal - Some place" and "Luculla Forest - Some other place".

So, now I go back to English, having characters talk or exclaim in English while written text is in French feels really weird smile

Last edited by melianos; 23/03/15 08:23 PM.
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Thanks.

BTW, if anyone notices any issues with the Italian localization, please report those, as well.

stranger
stranger
I don't know if it was already reported, but there is one thing which really bother me in the french translation:

The translation for some of the traits names is not the same when they are displayed above the character and in the character sheet. Although when they differ, the names are synonyms, it is hard to see immediately what have changed when you gain a new trait.

And another (really minor) point: in the description of your items in your inventory, "Quest Item" is not translated.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

The first has not been reported (will be shortly), the second has.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Hi,

Newbie here !
Are you still looking for some feedback or not? Because I just started the game in French, and while on most of the aspects the game got me seriously hooked (so many ideas!), I have to say the French translation somehow put me off.

The fact is that sometimes I just do not understand the translation, or the sentence is contradictory. There are other cases where there is a literal translation (the "non-native" thing), or when pronouns get mixed.

If you want I can put together a list with specific examples.

Last edited by Lokhlenn; 23/04/15 07:05 PM.
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Yes, though some things have already been changed, or are about to be. The forum can have problems with accented characters, so email (supportdos@larian.com) would probably work best.

To maybe save you some work (depending on how long it takes to skim through other reports, vs compiling a list), there are a couple older topics about this.
Duplicates are fine though, if you figure that would be faster or easier.

French translation of the game

French translation mistakes

There are a couple older posts in this CanardPC forum topic (another later here).

L
stranger
stranger
L
Thanks for your reply.
I checked the topics, they seem however to be older than the last translation patch?

If you say things are about to change, I will maybe wait a bit before bothering the support with this smile

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Some of the topics are older than the last update to the localizations; there was some specific feedback after I started this topic, though.

By 'about to' I meant for the next large update (as of mid-March the ETA was "some months"). Since there are updated and added dialogue and tooltips, etc, that are being translated, it would be better to check issues with the current localization now than to wait and go back after the fact.

Link Copied to Clipboard