Print Thread
#559361 01/12/14 03:08 PM
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Hello guys!

So basically me and my fiance, we LOVED D:OS. By far the best co-op experience we ever had, tremendous fun!
But after 2 playthroughs it's a bit hard to get back into it. When you basically know all the story and the encounters it's obviously not as interesting.

So we are wondering if there are plans to make more games based on the awesome 2 player co-op, turn-based engine of D:OS. Scratch that, we are actually HOPING this will happen! Please, pretty please, get any world you like and make something similar.

I don't care if it's sci-fi, post apocalyptic, medieval, fantasy, whatever...just with the same awesome mechanics and open world!
You've got two copies sold immediately. Hehe

Is that actually a plan? Anyone knows?

Cheers!

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yes, Larian is planning on improving their engine and making more games using it. This is also good news for toolkit users, as those improvements will likely make the modding scene more user-friendly.

Until then, I'd watch for user created mods - its a slow process but I'm sure some are coming.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Ah perfect!!!
Hopefully retaining the turn-based model also which was absolutely magnificent! smile
Is the Larian site the only place we can get news from Larian or is there a blog or something I could follow?
Thanks Burgee by the way

apprentice
apprentice
Agree with Jimmious here smile

IMHO the engine provides great graphics along with all things needed for a full and healthy RPG experience.

I only see a reason to make new engines when there are large graphical/scripting gaps between games.

Well, best of luck to Larian.

Last edited by Gordyne; 01/12/14 05:56 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Yeah RPG's get better with iteration, particularly the rulesets.

Like, for instance, a few patches ago characters could get above 100 resist to all elements, just on gear -- meaning they got healed by all elemental damage. That shouldn't be, especially on higher difficulties, so it got capped at 80% on gear. Perhaps they'll refine mitigation formuals further, but definitely a step in the right direction.

G
stranger
stranger
G
If they do make more games on the same engine, they should make sure they get it to utilize more than one CPU core.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I agree about the game.

Fun thing for me is Im playing with a friend that is 3,000 miles from me.
We're still in the opening city as we play only 2to3 hours per week. So the game is very fun and long lasting and will take a long time for it to finish.

We spend time crafting, polishing off characters and treat it as a real life adventure, which it is smile

I look forward to it each week.

Last edited by MarkUCLA; 13/12/14 09:34 PM.
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Giever
If they do make more games on the same engine, they should make sure they get it to utilize more than one CPU core.

I'm sure technical improvements can happen. But they're not my main issue for sure.
I just want more co-op Turn-Based goodness! smile
Glad more people agree, I hope Larian does too!!

Last edited by Jimmious; 16/12/14 06:49 PM.
old hand
old hand
I think it's almost guaranteed that Larian will make a new campaign with the same engine. I believe they said somewhere that they plan to use the engine for a while, and that would be a good financial idea for them. If they don't have to spend time and money developing an engine, they can spend that time improving that engine and writing and scripting new stories instead. What surprises me is the lack of improvements for the engine itself so it's even easier for them to actually create new content, which makes me wonder if they're trying to make a new engine instead, but I'm sure they have their reasons for delaying editor improvements.

I'm curious whether they're going to sell a brand new game, standalone game, or an expansion, or a DLC next. Probably they'll go the former route to get the most customers, and since there's not much of a reason to sell "expansions" anymore, given that DLC has basically replaced them. Perhaps we'll see a director's cut or GOTY version with a bunch of updates. There's tons of little things Larian could do to make the original campaign and the general balance a lot better, just like how the Shadowrun DragonFall Director's Cut really made the game a LOT better. Balance and content additions really made the replay worth it for me, and D:OS could do the same. And they might do a similar thing where the director's cut is free or at least super cheap for people who already own D:OS.

I'm hoping for a better story and writing. D:OS is definitely has above average dialog, but the overall story is kind of generic, even if has its twists. A less linear story and world would be wizard too, although I know that's quite difficult to pull off.

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Aaaaand I'm completely happy with this news:

http://www.lar.net/2014/12/18/leaked-the-larian-plans-for-20152016-and-beyond/

Fixing things is not all weæ± e doing however, far from it. Weæ± e not hiring all those people just to transform D:OS in a better experience, no, obviously weæ± e also working on our new RPGs.

Notice the 壮? It痴 intentional and while I壇 love to tell you more about them, I need to refrain for fear of losing whatever press momentum we値l be able to muster when we値l announce them. But there痴 one I thing I can already tell you, and it fits well with the second big thing we池e doing to improve the quality of our future offerings both RPGs are being built on top of the D:OS engine.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Link Copied to Clipboard