Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

There is now a beta branch on Steam for a balancing update (currently just Windows), to get suggestions and feedback. The basic goal is to speed up combat; see below for details.

This is a beta, so there may be changes in future beta updates that break save compatibility. Any progress made during the beta period will most likely be lost. You will, however, have a chance to influence the implementation of this set of balancing changes.

The beta will load saves from the current version of the game, but of course should you choose to revert back to 1.0.219 you would not be able to load beta saves.

Anyone interested in trying the beta update and providing feedback, please contact me by PM or email (raze@larian.com).

changelist
- bug fixes and minor changes to several combat encounters
- Rebalanced Constitution & Damage: from LUC to DAF, overall, creatures go down faster but deal more damage.
- Nerfed Armor: some Armor scores were too high, resulting in unnecessarily long fights.
- Rebalanced Initiative: some creatures had too high an Init, some others none at all. NPC Init scores will now be closer to players'.
- Rebalanced Willpower & Bodybuilding throughout the game.
- Rebalanced physical & magical resistances: some were high for no reason.
- Some creatures had really high Dex and were difficult to hit for no reason.
- Pure elementals (fire, water, air, earth) now have proper resistances & immunities.
- Magic weapons: before, e.g., a flaming sword would inflict pure fire damage; now, it inflicts physical (slashing) damage + a fire boost.

Last edited by Raze; 16/12/14 09:03 PM.
veteran
veteran
So in other words, if I try this out, I can continue from where I am right now, but the saves will break and I'll have to go back to Cyseal, and there will be no way to opt out of the beta and continue with the saves I made before starting the beta?

If that's the case, I can't try it, I haven't finished the game and don't want to lose all my progress.

N
addict
addict
N
You can backup your saves though and later restore them after reverting to the original branch from the beta one. They're compatible with the original game after all.

Edit: nvm, I thought "all my progress" meant progress in the non-beta game.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

No, if you revert back to the current release, you can load any pre-beta save. It is just that the current release will not be able to load saves made in the beta version. I'll clarify that in the original post.

There is a possibility of loosing progress during the beta, if there are significant changes made that would make maintaining beta to beta save game compatibility unfeasible. On the other hand, if only minor tweaks are made, there could potentially not be any progress lost (don't know if or what further changes are planned before the general release).

It would probably be a good idea to create a new profile for the beta and then copy your latest save folder there, so you will not overwrite any current quicksaves or autosaves, etc.

old hand
old hand
Sounds wicked, the exact kind of changes I was hoping for, though still looking forward to new skills and whatnot. Perhaps Larian might look into speeding up certain animations, cutting down on the delay after performing an action, or perhaps even adding a global combat speed slider like they did in Wasteland 2. Also, I think the popularity of +walk speed mods speaks volumes about the slowness of the walking speed outside of combat. Given that most players have already played the game and would like to replay the game with less tedium, perhaps they might increase move speed in the vanilla game.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, I think I'll take this for a spin. I love mods, but every time there is an update, I have to hand update 1000's of tweaks made to balance, at least how I do it editing the spreadsheets and running the macro. Would like to see how much better it is vanilla.

And 100 yes's to Baardvark talking about places to allow us to adjust speed. A pretty common thing in TB games now is a combat speed slider, this needs it. And walking speed, that one I had to mod, but in game all the better.

old hand
old hand
Downloading a 220mb update after having updated for the beta patch already... Is this part of the beta? More changes? Or am I just getting a fluke somehow...

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

There was an update for the beta; I don't have a changelist, or know what any of the changes were (other than the version number going from 1.0.63.265 to 1.0.64.198).

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
How much time it can take? And patch progress.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

The current beta version will go for at least a couple weeks. Depending on feedback and other factors there could be additional beta updates. I don't know what the expected timeframe for release is; I assume January.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
Thx

veteran
veteran
I've just finished the game, so now's a great time to try the beta. Just to be clear, though...

All full-game saves are compatible with the beta version.
All beta saves may not be compatible with beta updates...
But after the beta updates, full-game saves will still be compatible with the updated beta?

Have I got that right? If so, that'll work fine for me. I can just load any old saves from whenever to try out different areas. That sounds good.

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Yes, you got that right.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
About balance.
Do you work on perks, stats, spells?

Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

Yes, there should be some balancing changes to spells, abilities and talents, etc, in a future update.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
It would be nice. But how long it can take?

But i'll w8 for balance patch, and then walk through game again.

Last edited by TGM; 03/01/15 11:42 AM.
Raze Offline OP
Support
OP Offline
Support

I don't know when the balance patch is planned for. The last kickstarter update video said there would be things to announce this month, but I don't know what, or how far in advance they will be announced.

T
TGM Offline
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Raze

I don't know when the balance patch is planned for. The last kickstarter update video said there would be things to announce this month, but I don't know what, or how far in advance they will be announced.

kk will w8.
And i can't w8 for new game from Larian studios.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
This game is great! But there are a few major problems I have with it.

- Movement speed is wayyyyy too slow.
- Combat animations take wayyyy too long.
- Balance tweaks - Hunters being able to escape combat, makes for cheesing fights as you can just kill one mob, leave, heal up, go back, rinse-repeat.
- Leech + Bloodletting is super over-powered. You should not able to cast blood letting on your allies in combat.

I understand that some people enjoy this, but a combat speed and movement speed options slider would offer the best of both worlds to the players. Let us decide the speed we want to experience Divinity at.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Any news? When will the patch leave the BETA Status?

I have the GOG Version.

What about a new big Patch in the next weeks?

Last edited by john carmack; 07/01/15 01:40 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard