Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#564919 29/03/15 08:18 PM
Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
I just thought whether it would make sense to use "man at arms" for mages. There are numerous skills in man at arms that are useful for mages and do not need high strength. Just take the numerous effects that decrease willpower or "lower resistances" or the free "teleports" or the "fear" effects that make enemies run away from you. Also the unlocked talents are nice. You could combine the additional vitality from "picture of health" with "glass cannon" and get a really fast mage with decent health.

I'm just brainstorming.

Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, never mind, I just noticed that the witchcraft stuff is probably better.

veteran
veteran
Maybe for Lone Wolf mages, or maybe if you turn in some of the useless Talent points to the demon to get attribute points.

I don't really think it's that great an idea. You would need to invest heavily into Man-At-Arms to actually make some use out of those Talents, and that means trading in Talent points to get the ability points to spend.

Also you are wrong about the effects not requiring high strength. the basic Divine Light wants 8 STR (30% penalty at 5 STR), and Lower resistances wants 10 STR (50% penalty at 5 STR), and that's just to get rid of the fumble penalty. Mages can't really afford 10 STR.

I don't see that working out terribly well for a pure mage. Maybe if you make a battlemage.

Arne Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Also you are wrong about the effects not requiring high strength. the basic Divine Light wants 8 STR (30% penalty at 5 STR), and Lower resistances wants 10 STR (50% penalty at 5 STR), and that's just to get rid of the fumble penalty. Mages can't really afford 10 STR.

Yep, you're right. You could maybe dip one level into it but not much more.

enthusiast
enthusiast
NOt a good idea, its doable but like painting a chicken yellow so you cna call it a duck, there are better ways.

Scoundrel and Expert marksman 1 level for the mage is better, Tactical Retreat is a cheap self-teleport for instance.

Picture of Health with Glass Cannon is pretty good for the fighter though. Definately.

Link Copied to Clipboard