Print Thread
#562945 13/02/15 05:24 AM
M
myo2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
It's hard to second-guess the decision to devote more resources to D:OS than to this game, but after hearing Bellagar advertise it a couple times in D:OS, I started to wonder about buying it.

The reviews almost unanimously suggest an interesting and even admired concept that could do with a lot more polish, balance, and general TLC. In general, it's recommended to "buy on sale for the novelty." This is my current plan, although it doesn't seem to have been on sale for a while. In fact, it's hard to find much news about it post-launch-- in fact I'm not sure if it's ever been patched, let alone that DLC was introduced.

So, does Larian have future plans for DC? Or a sequel?

myo2 #562948 13/02/15 05:56 AM
Support
Support

Dragon Commander was just on sale last weekend, when D:OS was a weekend deal on Steam.

There were multiple patches post-release.

There are no plans for DLC. A sequel has been discussed, but there are no short term plans for that. Another couple RPGs have started development, building on the mechanics and gameplay from D:OS, so if a sequel is made, it wouldn't be for awhile.

myo2 #562952 13/02/15 06:36 AM
M
myo2 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Aaagh, shame I missed it.

Thanks for the info/corrections.

myo2 #562987 14/02/15 04:50 AM
veteran
veteran
I'd like more done with Dragon Commander too - if only allowing custom options to be used in the story campaign, but my hopes for anything else happening with it have dwindled to pretty much nothing.

myo2 #563716 01/03/15 08:01 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B
I'd love something like Dragon Knight Saga overhaul + new story treatment done to Dragon Commander. For Divinity 2 it turned a generally mediocre unfinished game into one of my favorites.

The concept standing behind DC is superb, however, the game is far more like a prototype to me (or early Beta if you are Blizzard fan). RPG elements are finished and really fun, but RTS needs asymmetric balance, fog of war, better/fancier tech tree and most importantly MAP DESIGN! I mean play Starcraft or Warcraft campaign(s) and DC Campaign and see the difference in how the maps and objectives are structured. Especially where you don't do always the same on each map smile

Its very hard to produce something state of the art if you are doing it for the first time (I mean RTS), but that's what overhauls/expansions (not that EA styled +1 shiny armor DLCs, but real expansions)/sequels are for!

Cheers from RTS fan and a game/server programmer - I always believed in you smile

bOdziO Wolf #564788 25/03/15 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by bOdziO Wolf
I'd love something like Dragon Knight Saga overhaul ...
I wish DKS ran in Wine frown

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
myo2 #565721 24/04/15 06:30 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I would have loved to see that patches/additional content they had originally talked about.
I can understand why it came to be the way it is and while I still have a very good opinion of Larian, one can't help but notice that they regularly bite off more than they can chew...

myo2 #565867 01/05/15 12:53 PM
veteran
veteran
The biggest con about DC was the RTS, and how one of the awesome things (being a dragon) was tied to it.
In the end I just couldn't stand the RTS anymore, which also means no dragon, leaving just a TBS with some political choices.

I really wish if they ever do a sequel they seperate dragon from RTS (or just drop the RTS completely).

myo2 #567636 12/08/15 10:15 AM
A Dragon Commander EE I would get behind. I would like to see that game reach its full potential - particularly the strategy section which felt unoptimised. But I'd also like to see Larian redo Divine Divinity in the DOS engine to be turn based so fingers crossed Larian gets more money than they know what to do with.

Hassat Hunter #570394 02/10/15 12:16 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
The biggest con about DC was the RTS, and how one of the awesome things (being a dragon) was tied to it.
In the end I just couldn't stand the RTS anymore, which also means no dragon, leaving just a TBS with some political choices.

I really wish if they ever do a sequel they seperate dragon from RTS (or just drop the RTS completely).

I really loved the RTS + Dragon Commander element of the game, it was just lacking on the RTS map design, AI, and enemy opponents. As Dragon you did not really need an army, because the enemy armies could not withstand you anyway in most cases. The whole RTS part was simply to thin on the polish side.

Prototype like is a really fitting imho. Besides of that, some Real-Time Action-RPG scenes would for sure not have hurt to add as another genre into the Dragon Commander Mix. Overall I would say Larian should stay away from DC2 until someone comes along and offers them a triple A budget to do it. *grin*

edit:
Or they have all key technologies and game elements build already from separate stand-alone games.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 02/10/15 12:17 AM.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard