Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

It is done, being updated with the current changes for the Enhanced Edition, officially announced for Linux and SteamOS...

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
I'm aware it's been annoucned, I meant more of wanting to wait and see if that will actually happen this time.

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Also, I'd like some clarification on the refund process, as to why the bank transfer is preferred. I don't really like giving out information like my account number usually and would like to understand why that is easier than a paypal transfer.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

I would assume there is some time limit after which reversing a Paypal transaction is considered separate rather than a refund, so maybe the fees are higher or there is more bureaucracy involved. Larian also uses wire transfers for business purposes, so that may make things easier or give preferred rates, or something.

Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Just a question, then, if the Linux users never gets the promised Linux version of D:OS at all, what happens to the Linux users that do not conform to the new hardware system restrictions?

I can't blame people for wanting their money back - Larian skipped right past Linux and started adapting it for entirely different formats right away.

Last edited by Luckmann; 20/05/15 06:51 AM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Would you have preferred Larian just update the Linux version to the (already outdated at the time) release version of the game, thus not getting the updates in the Enhanced Edition?

What make you think there is going to be a huge jump in requirements? On Windows the switch to 64 bit only and DX 11 will have more of an impact. For Linux anyone who can not play the Enhanced Edition would likely, at best, barely have been able to play D:OS. In that case what happens is the same as it is for Windows and Mac: sooner or later people will upgrade their systems and be able to play.

Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Originally Posted by Raze
Would you have preferred Larian just update the Linux version to the (already outdated at the time) release version of the game, thus not getting the updates in the Enhanced Edition?
I would've preferred it if Linux would've been given the game it was promised, with the updates everyone else has gotten. I think that's fairly reasonable.

Originally Posted by Raze
What make you think there is going to be a huge jump in requirements? On Windows the switch to 64 bit only and DX 11 will have more of an impact. For Linux anyone who can not play the Enhanced Edition would likely, at best, barely have been able to play D:OS.


You say "on Windows"; will the Linux version not require you to have DX11-compliant hardware, too? No-one was talking about a huge jump in requirements, as you've been told before. It's a strawman of your own making.

Originally Posted by Raze
In that case what happens is the same as it is for Windows and Mac: sooner or later people will upgrade their systems and be able to play.

Saying that people will "sooner or later" be able to play the game isn't just condescending, it's spoiled and classicist. Just because you've got money coming out of every orifice doesn't mean that others do.

Overall, the Enhanced Edition is a bit as if your landlord promised you a new sink. Over time, the sink grew into a promise of a remade bathroom. Then months later it turns out that you're going to be given this whole new apartment, adapted for the physically disabled, but you'll only get it if you've got a car over a value of $100 000. But it's OK, because at least you still have your old apartment with the shitty sink and crumbling walls.

Last edited by Luckmann; 20/05/15 08:24 AM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

I'm sure Larian would have preferred not to have any middleware problems, but that kind of thing happens in development. When the Linux engine was done, the choice was to update it to the outdated release version, or update it to the current version (Enhanced Edition). You can prefer something else, but those were the only options.

I don't know what version of OpenGL support will be needed.

The number of people potentially effected by the change in requirements is relevant to the discussion.

Saying everyone will upgrade sooner or later is entirely accurate, entirely practical and entirely reasonable. It is based on my own experiences and everything I've seen with computers over a very long time.
I have been unable to play certain games, and them many games, due to having an old computer. Even at the time, I knew I would eventually be able to play them. That is in no way condescending.
You don't need to be rich to have a computer that can play D:OS, or the EE. If you need to save to be able to upgrade, next year there will be more powerful computers for cheaper than this year, same for the year after that. Buying a console may also be an option (I bought an Xbox 360 on a boxing day sale before Divinity 2 was released, when an unexpected expense meant I couldn't get a laptop I had been saving to buy).

How is having a video card with DX 11 support (ie made in the last 5 or 6 years) equivalent to needing a $100k car? A 5 year old computer is typically low end; a $100k car is rather on the high end.

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
I have a feeling people won't want to upgrade their systems just for your game...

Also, this brings to mind how well you will work on improving the performance of your game, or are you just going to claim that we need better systems if we have issues?

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Also, another option in terms of the Linux version was not to promise it until the devs actually had the ability to release it...

Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by d10sfan
I have a feeling people won't want to upgrade their systems just for your game...


Probably not, but maybe they'll want to upgrade their systems because support for the operating systems, drivers, software, will cease as the market shrinks.

No one can blame you for wanting a refund after such a long delay. But after almost a year of waiting, you're putting yourself through all this trouble of getting a refund just to buy it again in two-three months? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
It's because I no longer trust that the game will actually be released on Linux after this long of a wait, and very little information about any progress towards the Linux port. I'd rather get my money back and see if the new version is working and worth it, instead of being disappointed again.

Also, this talk of upgrading systems and increasing requirements worries me, because the Linux performance may be subpar, due to faults in the game, and the devs just claiming you need a better system.

Last edited by d10sfan; 20/05/15 03:55 PM.
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Swedonia
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by d10sfan
I have a feeling people won't want to upgrade their systems just for your game...


Probably not, but maybe they'll want to upgrade their systems because support for the operating systems, drivers, software, will cease as the market shrinks.

No one can blame you for wanting a refund after such a long delay. But after almost a year of waiting, you're putting yourself through all this trouble of getting a refund just to buy it again in two-three months? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.


You are operating under the assumption that he'll actually buy the game in two-three months. Knowing what we know today, I wouldn't, and I wouldn't expect him to do it either.

Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

Actually, you were apparently fine with little information. It was only once information started to be released, with official announcements, etc, that you started the refund process.

The entire conversation about not being able to play the EE is based on the Windows version switching to DX 11 rather than 9c, and the move to 64 bit only.
The performance of the engine has improved, due to better multithreading, etc.

Joined: Mar 2015
K
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
K
Joined: Mar 2015
Originally Posted by d10sfan
Also, this talk of upgrading systems and increasing requirements worries me, because the Linux performance may be subpar, due to faults in the game, and the devs just claiming you need a better system.

Hard to say in this case, but I upgraded my PC last in 2008, and even then I only spent 400€ for board, RAM, CPU and GPU*. Yet, that box runs games on Linux just fine (Civilization Beyond Earth, Pillars of Eternity, Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Broken Sword 5). It also didn't break a sweat with D:OS on Windows.

It's true, the EE won't work on Windows for me, as the GPU is DirectX 10.1 only. But I do not worry too much about running the Linux version. After all, the existing OpenGL version runs on a Mac with integrated Intel graphics! (So again, no reason to upgrade :-(.)
______________________
[*] 4GB, Core 2 Duo@2500Mhz, Geforce 9600GT

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Originally Posted by Raze

Actually, you were apparently fine with little information. It was only once information started to be released, with official announcements, etc, that you started the refund process.

The entire conversation about not being able to play the EE is based on the Windows version switching to DX 11 rather than 9c, and the move to 64 bit only.
The performance of the engine has improved, due to better multithreading, etc.


No that's incorrect, the reason why I asked for a refund in the first place was you mentioned that refunds were possible in a steam thread, before the annoucnement was made. So, I just did it now because before I didn't think it was possible. After it was made I was still interested in the refund.

Here's the thread I mentioned (http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/37470847983004609/#c613957600526562813). As you can see, that was before the new version was announced.

Also, in terms of information, all we know is that the Linux version may be coming in the future. No information on the improvements made to the Linux version, such as performance or rendering, or progress.

Last edited by d10sfan; 20/05/15 08:32 PM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

ka1man;
It was also mentioned in the comments for the latest blog post that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, as well, but Swen wasn't familiar with the details and thought there were some problems with it. Assuming those issues can be resolved, that may potentially remove the requirement for a DX 11 card in Windows.


d10sfan;
That was after it was revealed there would be an announcement very soon, which would include information about the Linux version.
There is no 'may'; the EE has been officially announced for Linux and SteamOS.

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Originally Posted by Raze

ka1man;
It was also mentioned in the comments for the latest blog post that there is an OpenGL build for Windows, as well, but Swen wasn't familiar with the details and thought there were some problems with it. Assuming those issues can be resolved, that may potentially remove the requirement for a DX 11 card in Windows.


d10sfan;
That was after it was revealed there would be an announcement very soon, which would include information about the Linux version.


Ok, like I said, I asked for a refund at that point, because you said it was possible. As far as I knew at that point, that soon could be much later than it was. This was before the annocument was made about the extended edition. With the wording, for all I knew, it could have been cancelled.

Last edited by d10sfan; 20/05/15 08:38 PM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Larian Studios
Offline
Larian Studios
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

It would have been rather rude to post a couple partial screenshots to tease the impending announcement of a cancellation, especially with this topic already explaining what the delay was and the fact that the Linux version was being updated to the most recent version of the code.

Joined: Jun 2013
D
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
D
Joined: Jun 2013
Originally Posted by Raze

It would have been rather rude to post a couple partial screenshots to tease the impending announcement of a cancellation, especially with this topic already explaining what the delay was and the fact that the Linux version was being updated to the most recent version of the code.


That's true, but like I said earlier, a refund was offered before the big news came out, and I took you up on that offer. Not sure why you see that decision as strange.

Last edited by d10sfan; 20/05/15 09:02 PM.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5