veteran
Originally Posted by Luckmann
adapted for consoles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxhOYqLPdY

Support
Support
Instead of a patch like we were promised

So the reason Larian doesn't care is that they added much more to the update than was originally intended???

There are a fairly small fraction of people who meet the hardware requirements for D:OS but will not for the Enhanced Edition. While unfortunate, these people will eventually upgrade (DX11 support being common for more than the last 5 years, for example), and will be able to play it. I don't see how it would have been more caring to significantly restrict the scope of the update for everyone so that people who's systems can barely handle D:OS would also barely handle the EE.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
adapted for consoles...

Except, y'know, I'm not. It's been expressly stated. It's a bit hard to go back on now.

Originally Posted by Raze
Instead of a patch like we were promised

So the reason Larian doesn't care is that they added much more to the update than was originally intended???

There are a fairly small fraction of people who meet the hardware requirements for D:OS but will not for the Enhanced Edition. While unfortunate, these people will eventually upgrade (DX11 support being common for more than the last 5 years, for example), and will be able to play it. I don't see how it would have been more caring to significantly restrict the scope of the update for everyone so that people who's systems can barely handle D:OS would also barely handle the EE.

It's not an update anymore, and it's disingenuous to suggest that it is. It's a cash-in and it's the original supporters that's paid for it.

Saying that it's only a "small fraction" of those supporters doesn't make it OK, even if it would happen to be true (which I'm not convinced, but that ends up coming down to the semantics of "small fraction"). Saying that "these people will eventually upgrade", meaning me, is a straight-up lie, because there's nothing to go on that would suggest that, and I certainly don't have to funds to do so in the foreseeable future.

And saying "... barely handle D:OS would also barely handle the EE" is condescending at best, classicism more often than not. I have absolutely zero problems running D:OS.

Support
Support

It started off as an update. More stuff was added. It became the Enhanced Edition. Somehow that means Larian doesn't care about those who bought the game.

It can not be a cash-in if it is free to everyone who owns D:OS.

The history of computers (obsolescence, reliability, etc) suggests that virtually everyone will upgrade eventually. I used (and am still using) my old computer for more than a dozen years past the the last upgrade it made sense to make; much of that time I didn't have the money to build a new computer, sometimes I did but couldn't justify it when there other things I needed to deal with first, but eventually (a year ago) I had both the money and justification.

Other than the switch from DX 9 to 11, and becoming 64 bit only, there is not going to be huge jump in requirements.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It started off as an update. More stuff was added. It became the Enhanced Edition. Somehow that means Larian doesn't care about those who bought the game.
Strawman.

It can not be a cash-in if it is free to everyone who owns D:OS.
A lot of people already got it on consoles? I find that doubtful, considering that D:OS isn't available for consoles.

The history of computers suggests that virtually everyone will upgrade eventually. I used (and am still using) my old computer for more than a dozen years past the the last upgrade it made sense to make; much of that time I didn't have the money to build a new computer, sometimes I did but couldn't justify it where there other things I needed to deal with first, but eventually (a year ago) I had both the money and justification.
Good for you. Irrelevant, but good for you.

Other than the switch from DX 9 to 11, and becoming 64 bit only, there is not going to be huge jump in requirements.
No-one said it was a huge jump. I didn't expect it to be a huge jump. Which is really part of the problem. First you say barely able to play D:OS (which is false), and now you say that the difference won't be huge.

Either is irrelevant. The issue is precisely that it's not a huge jump, but a roadblock. It's not about barely scaling the wall, it's about an insurmountable blockade.

Support
Support

Are you claiming the mere existence of a console version means Larian doesn't care about people who bought the game on PC? Everyone who owns D:OS is still getting the PC version of the EE for free.

It is irrelevant that I've been in the same situation, not being able to play new games with no short term prospects of being able to upgrade?

It is because there will not be a huge jump in requirements that (other than the DX 11 requirement and 64 bit only) those unable to play the EE likely can not play D:OS very well.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Are you claiming the mere existence of a console version means Larian doesn't care about people who bought the game on PC? Everyone who owns D:OS is still getting the PC version of the EE for free.
No. The fact that they're locking people out shows that they don't care about previous customers. The fact that they make it a console game shows that they don't care about PC gamers. Two related but separate issues.

It is irrelevant that I've been in the same situation, not being able to play new games with no short term prospects of being able to upgrade?
Yes. It's a nice story and good for you, but it doesn't change anything for those that do not have the opportunities you obviously had.

It is because there will not be a huge jump in requirements that (other than the DX 11 requirement and 64 bit only) those unable to play the EE likely can not play D:OS very well.

Again - this is the third time you're corrected - this is false. I have no troubles playing D:OS at all. There is no significant jump, yet boom, locked out, get a new car you last-year peasant, how dare you be poor? What did you say? Your car is running fine? Well it doesn't have a rear spoiler so we're not giving you access to the gated community and we're not going to fix the sink for you that we promised, either, sucks to be you, get bent, we have plenty of other customers now.

Last edited by Luckmann; 20/05/15 10:03 AM.
veteran
veteran
And it's more than the third time you're complaining about a "game *" you said you can play D:OS fine, .... well, let's play D:OS and have some fun !! wink

* I hope a "game" is not ALL you've, I really hope you are more worried about vital things in your life than a "game" ....
If the Enhanced Edition start to run not smooth on my laptop (in worst case BAD!), I can simply play further on the NON Enhanced Edition and be happy with that situation, just because it's only a game for "hours of entertainment", not a vital thing !
OK, to be honest: in first place I'll be disappointed if my laptop can't play the Enhanced Edition (smooth enough),
but heay, there's more in my life than gaming alone ! So please, stand still for awhile and think of this in mind wink
What I always say to myself: "Don't take entertainment too serious!"
Just me smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Support
Support

The vast majority of feedback about the EE thus far has been positive. While it is unfortunate that some will not immediately be able to play the EE, you can not claim Larian doesn't care about people that bought the game because they didn't put a hard lock on the requirements and reject anything that would benefit the game (including performance improvements) but impact the requirements.

So you have to be 100% PC only, or you you are 100% against PC, with nothing in between?
It is ridiculous to claim making a console port of a game means Larian doesn't care about PC players. Nothing was cut out of the game or altered in the PC version to make it work on the console.

It doesn't exactly take a charmed life to be able to build a new computer able to play D:OS (after a dozen years with a computer that was budget class when it was new).

Note the section "other than the DX 11 requirement and 64 bit only" in that sentence.

You do realize that every other type of software is going to be updated, and is going to gradually drop support for older hardware? Drivers for your system are going to be stopped being updated, if they haven't already. Newer releases of web browsers are going to start getting slower and slower. Eventually some dotNet update or something isn't going to install, which is going to prevent various software from running. Etc.
This will not mean that nobody cares about PC users.

veteran
veteran
adapted for consoles...

Except, y'know, I'm not. It's been expressly stated. It's a bit hard to go back on now.

You are.

This game was developed for PC and finished for PC. This game had a kickstarter dedicated to making it really cool with lots of stuff other games didn't do (at least these days), and although you may have to take the word of other people on this, generally it delivered on those promises. Larian has communicated their passion for this project and their philosophy of doing things right and not the most money-grubbing cheap way many many times.

And yet you seem to have the unreasonable notion that the PC version's features which already exist in a finished product - will be gutted and stripped out - reducing the quality of an existing and finished game, in opposition to their philosophy... just to make the PC version match the limitations of a console version... which no one has even seen yet.

I don't see how you could be more wrong.

A lot of people already got it on consoles? I find that doubtful, considering that D:OS isn't available for consoles.

Everyone who has bought Original Sin for PC from the Kickstarter up until whevever the EE gets released gets EE free. However, no console version was ever promised. Not in the Kickstarter, not after, not until now.

(Until right now) Larian never promised that there would be a console version at all, so they have no obligation to give away the console version for free.

And also, the market for consoles is a lot heavier on physical dics than digital goods, meaning the cost to produce the copies is going to be a lot higher than the digital-only copies.

It's not an update anymore, and it's disingenuous to suggest that it is. It's a cash-in and it's the original supporters that's paid for it.

This game was developed for PC and finished for PC. This game had a kickstarter dedicated to making it really cool with lots of stuff other games didn't do (at least these days), and although you may have to take the word of other people on this, generally it delivered on those promises. Larian has communicated their passion for this project and their philosophy of doing things right and not the most money-grubbing cheap way many many times.

The question is simply whether the original D:OS covered all promised kickstarter goals/features for which people backed the project yes or no. If it did, Larian can take the game and develop it in any direction they please, simply because backers got already what they paid for. If it did not, Larian should give the backers what they paid for.

I also felt crushed by the terrible third part of master of orion, or by how they butchered the settlers series and I don't like civilization 5 either. But I can't change that, because it's not my game.

Last edited by Arne; 20/05/15 01:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
The big thing promised-but-absent is the NPC scheduling, but that was determined to be too difficult to add during the alpha. It was decided then that the amount of resources needed to implement that would drastically have lowered the quality of the game as a whole, and I really don't think the math has changed there.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Arne
If it did not, Larian should give the backers what they paid for.

Kickstarter is not a pre-order system, and does not make games immune to the normal development process. Kickstarter backers are not paying for a game with a checklist of features, they are backing the game so development can continue, with the stated goals and plans; sometimes those plans do not work out, sometimes more things are added that was the original intent.

G
addict
addict
G
You have received an offer of significant upgrade for further re-playability. On top of 100hours of fun you have consumed, you are offered to get another load for free.

If your economic situation do not allow you to meet minimum requirements, feel free to use the standard version forever.
(One of my PCs is a CoreDuo Intel 6420+2GRam+Radeon3780+W7/64bit its about 10 years old hardware. Sometimes I have played the current version on it - it goes pretty good. I am sure it will run EE too. )

If you receive a free ride on role caster but you always vomit. So you dont use such offer. Would you complain in this case too?

Dude, its beautiful day today, go outside smile and do something nice for a stranger. :-]

Last edited by gGeo; 21/05/15 04:24 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
...[things]...

I can understand you would be upset that you won't be able to play the new game, but it seems you're just really salty at this point.

Multiple people have given you counter arguments to each of your complaints but you're quick to dismiss them and just repeat what you've already said.

One of you major points seems to be that the fact the game is now being ported from PC to console suddenly means features will be stripped and the game will be a bloody mess. This is simply not known for certain. Is it possible? It most certainly is, and examples have already been cited. Is it 100% always the case? Most certainly not! I would like to cite Starcraft 64 and Diablo (for playstation).

While the original Diablo wasn't exactly feature rich, Starcraft was a fully realized RTS. In either case though, neither PC game suffered from it's console port. In fact, Starcraft's PC version even got an expansion that the console did not. And if these 2 examples aren't enough to convince you, I am more than happy to cite more (as I know there are more PC-to-console ports that did not suffer as you seem to be suggesting they all do).

Does it suck that you won't (right now at least) be able to play the new D:OS:EE? Of course it does. But just because you won't be able to play it doesn't mean that it will suck, or that Larian hates PC gamers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Drewgamer
...[things]...

I can understand you would be upset that you won't be able to play the new game, but it seems you're just really salty at this point.

Multiple people have given you counter arguments to each of your complaints but you're quick to dismiss them and just repeat what you've already said.

One of you major points seems to be that the fact the game is now being ported from PC to console suddenly means features will be stripped and the game will be a bloody mess. This is simply not known for certain. Is it possible? It most certainly is, and examples have already been cited. Is it 100% always the case? Most certainly not! I would like to cite Starcraft 64 and Diablo (for playstation).

While the original Diablo wasn't exactly feature rich, Starcraft was a fully realized RTS. In either case though, neither PC game suffered from it's console port. In fact, Starcraft's PC version even got an expansion that the console did not. And if these 2 examples aren't enough to convince you, I am more than happy to cite more (as I know there are more PC-to-console ports that did not suffer as you seem to be suggesting they all do).

Does it suck that you won't (right now at least) be able to play the new D:OS:EE? Of course it does. But just because you won't be able to play it doesn't mean that it will suck, or that Larian hates PC gamers.

It's painfully evident that you actually never played D2 or Starcraft on console. If you want a better example, look at Diablo 3, which was actually intended as multiplatform from the beginning (which many fans called Blizzard on long before it was announced; and it wasn't announced precisely because people knew that it compromises development).

There is not a single multiplatform game in the history of gaming that didn't suffer due to being, well, multiplatform. You say it is simply not known for certain, but experience has taught us otherwise. Even under the best of circumstances, the best developers can do is to attempt to obfuscate the fact by making it less obvious what was compromised.

But at the end of the day, what gets to me the most is that Larian has no trouble pissing in the face of their fans after promising an extensive patch for months, but in reality adapting the game for consoles and then go "Nuh-uh", releasing a new game instead, which, of course, is unusable. At the end of the day, was the inventory system of Skyrim bad because of consoles, or were it just bad? We all know it's the former, but the apologists and peasantry can easily argue that it was just badly designed.

And we see this time and time again, whether it's bad controls or entire features that had to be cut because it was impossible to make it fit in a console UI. Because yeah, sure, D:OS:EE will get two separate UI:s, but you bet that if there's a feature that won't work well with the console UI, it's going to get binned for both versions, whether it would've worked with the PC UI or not (and face it, it would've; that's the difference, anything works or can be made to work on PC).

When you're promised a stellar patch, it's really dishonest to make it into a new game that, whoops, you can't play. But uh, you can play the unpatched game, so that's fine.

This is Grade A douchery worthy of Electronic Arts and paints Swen Vincke and his cohorts as nothing short of crooks.

Last edited by Luckmann; 21/05/15 12:35 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry for the double-post, but I'm getting an error on the editing.

Originally Posted by gGeo
You have received an offer of significant upgrade for further re-playability.
No.

If your economic situation do not allow you to meet minimum requirements, feel free to use the standard version forever.
A patch was promised for months. Now, instead, you're getting a game you can't even play. Yeah, not quite the same thing as enjoying the standard version.

(One of my PCs is a CoreDuo Intel 6420+2GRam+Radeon3780+W7/64bit its about 10 years old hardware. Sometimes I have played the current version on it - it goes pretty good. I am sure it will run EE too. )
No, it won't. But you think so, because you have no idea what you're talking about and it's painful to watch you run your mouth in ignorance.

This is really part of the problem - that people have no idea what the issue is, despite having it spelled out to them. Anyone with an IQ south of 125 should be forcibly removed from the gene-pool already.

veteran
veteran
Okay, you expected a big patch, me too (!), and it all ended as a enhanced edition WITH some new requirements on top of that ! I can understand your frustrations when I try to imagine your situation (but honestly: I never can that for 100 %).

The Unpatched game (in his current state) is still a very good & magnificent game to play ...!

For me that's fine, but as I can clearly understand, not for you ...

I've still full confidence in the Larian Team, don't understand me wrong, but one thing you, Larian Studios, must try to understand : as always I'm afraid, you're all mostly (TOO?) Ambitious/Enthousiastic !
Therefore they take, as almost always, too many hay on their fork starting a big update ...

So that's like a knife that cuts on both ways !!
And now it depends on which side you look at on the current matter : all the negative or all the positive ... (or in between) wink !

But, like always, at the end, I strongly appreciate their enthousiastic developers work !!
That's the largest reason why I love the Larian games : all the hard work they did in each of their games gives that good feeling :
a game maked with Passion & Love !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran

There is not a single multiplatform game in the history of gaming that didn't suffer due to being, well, multiplatform. You say it is simply not known for certain, but experience has taught us otherwise. Even under the best of circumstances, the best developers can do is to attempt to obfuscate the fact by making it less obvious what was compromised.

You know what, you're right. I remember when D:OS came to Mac, and the PC version was completely stripped of features to make the PC version in line with the Mac version.

U
stranger
stranger
U
I actually just created an account despite never having played the game (Currently plotting about purchasing) to let you know that you sound kind of crazy on here Luckmann.

First you suggest killing 95% of the world population? Even if this is sarcastic (which it does not seem like) it is both in bad taste and quite unfitting for intelligent discourse.

Second you claim that no PC game can ever be good while having a console port. While I agree with you that console ports scare me and ruin many games (DA:I for me) this is an incredibly over exaggerating statement. XCOM, Portal 2, TF 2 all have console ports and are all this outstanding PC games. In fact I would argue that turn based games tend to port the best.

Third even if all of your arguments are 100% valid the way in which you convey them is incredibly confrontational and disrespectful. Despite repeated attempts by individuals such as Joram to remind you that the fact that we are discussing a vide game on internet board means none of our life's are all that terrible.

Life is short don't waste it being angry. Lets see how the EE is and if its bad we don't come back, no reasons to get to excited before it comes out.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard