Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by john carmack
Originally Posted by Wellzy4eva
With the confirmation that the big patch has evolved into the Enhanced Edition, does this mean that this is the last patch that the original D:OS will receive now that the focus of the development team is the Enhanced Edition or will there be further content updates or bug fixes?

Next Big Patch = Enhanced Edition?

Yeah, if you expected an actual patch or continued support of D:OS - like was promised - you're completely hosed.

To be fair this solution is much better!

The advantages:
  • You can keep playing the old original game without any fear of losing your save games. This is because the changes are so vast that old save games is not going to be compatible with the new version. Imagine all the criticism that would have come if the original game was suddenly upgraded and everyone lost all of their save games...
  • According to Larian the story is better, the battles are better balanced, and the game is a better experience overall.
  • All characters now have voice so you don't have to read that much if you don't want to. Just listen to what they have to say.
  • The game is lifted to DirectX 11 which will increase performance.
  • The game is ported to consoles which will make you able to play it on a console as well as a PC. There are even two different user interfaces, one is the already present UI suited for mouse and keyboard (which might even be improved), the other is a new UI suited for a controller.

The disadvantages:
  • The game is lifted to DirectX 11 which will make it unplayable on old Windows computers. You need a graphic card that supports DirectX 11

ivra #566528 25/05/15 11:28 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ivra
To be fair this solution is much better!

The advantages:
  • You can keep playing the old original game without any fear of losing your save games. This is because the changes are so vast that old save games is not going to be compatible with the new version. Imagine all the criticism that would have come if the original game was suddenly upgraded and everyone lost all of their save games...
  • According to Larian the story is better, the battles are better balanced, and the game is a better experience overall.
  • All characters now have voice so you don't have to read that much if you don't want to. Just listen to what they have to say.
  • The game is lifted to DirectX 11 which will increase performance.
  • The game is ported to consoles which will make you able to play it on a console as well as a PC. There are even two different user interfaces, one is the already present UI suited for mouse and keyboard (which might even be improved), the other is a new UI suited for a controller.

The disadvantages:
  • The game is lifted to DirectX 11 which will make it unplayable on old Windows computers. You need a graphic card that supports DirectX 11

So everything that was promised for the game... except it's not for the game, and you're hosed if you don't conform to the standards of the new game.

Yeah, having a hard time seeing the "better" in the situation. I personally see lying and deceiving to be worse than losing the savegames to an obsolete game.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Luckmann

So everything that was promised for the game... except it's not for the game, and you're hosed if you don't conform to the standards of the new game.

Yeah, having a hard time seeing the "better" in the situation. I personally see lying and deceiving to be worse than losing the savegames to an obsolete game.

There are people who pledged for D:OS during the Kickstarter campaign and then found out that they cannot play the (original) game because their hardware does not meet the minimum requirements. I was one of those people and had first to upgrade my system. However, I do not remember anyone complaining (and ranting in all possible threads) that Larian lied and broke their promise because thay said the game would have moderate requirements and would be playable on an average laptop and so on.

As Raze and others have already pointed out, you still have a game in a perfectly playable state (which by the way won multiple GOTY awards - so it cannot be THAT bad and THAT buggy!). While it is disappointing that you cannot immediately play the EE edition, one day you will upgrade your system and you will be able to play the free EE edition.

As a sidenote: I was looking forward to Witcher 3 and even thought about pre-ordering it. However, having seen those whooping minimum req, I knew that I would probably have to wait a year or two before I could consider buying a computer which can handle it.

Last edited by Elwyn; 25/05/15 01:22 PM.
old hand
old hand
Anyone know if there will then be local coop since it is getting the console treatment?

Support
Support

Yes, there will be.

Elwyn #566708 01/06/15 10:41 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Elwyn

As Raze and others have already pointed out, you still have a game in a perfectly playable state (which by the way won multiple GOTY awards - so it cannot be THAT bad and THAT buggy!). While it is disappointing that you cannot immediately play the EE edition, one day you will upgrade your system and you will be able to play the free EE edition.

As a sidenote: I was looking forward to Witcher 3 and even thought about pre-ordering it. However, having seen those whooping minimum req, I knew that I would probably have to wait a year or two before I could consider buying a computer which can handle it.

The problems with the game begin after Cyseal. I doubt video game reviewers ever get to the end of the game or even to the Braccus REX battle. They got to play too many games to even get half way though them all.

With all the testing, ACT 1 went out with very little problems. Luculla Forest and on was a disaster with the stinking glitches and atrocious combat balancing. We should have tested the entire game.

I've yet to finish it, always getting stuck in a glitch of some sort or find I'm wasting an excessive amount of time on a "puzzle" when the area I'm trying to get to is an uncompleted portion of the game.

Unless this Enhanced version is really going to be fantastic, I'm simply done as a Larian Customer. The 1st game was the only real good one they ever produced, and I feel like a fool waiting for something to come out that will be just as good or better.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 01/06/15 10:43 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Yeah, if you expected an actual patch or continued support of D:OS - like was promised - you're completely hosed.

So if I get an extended edition along my Steam version, which is a patched and supported version of D:OS... how are we hosed again?

I remember having to pay for Deus Ex Human Revolution's upgrade... and I'm still pissed at Daedalic for bundling and patching the Deponia games into one and then having absolutely no PR so I have to find out about it much later and be charged 40 euro for a patch... there's a hosed situation...

@Lightning: Funnilly I was able to finish the game with no problems... despite the admitedly 1000's of bugs I note down in my bug-thread.
(What I would like is less reliance on tiny tiny buttons... was pounding my head a bit at a certain end-game area when I looked it up on the forums and the progression was blocked behind such a tiny button)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

So if I get an extended edition along my Steam version, which is a patched and supported version of D:OS... how are we hosed again?

[...]

Notice that qualifier at the beginning of the first sentence. "If you...". If you don't care or if you're not affected, well, you don't care, and you're not affected.

Now, if you can't actually run D:OS:EE, well, then you're absolutely hosed.

veteran
veteran
And we know we will get it.

But to appease you from totally nitpicking something with an entire different meaning... let me rewrite.

So when I get an extended edition along my Steam version, which is a patched and supported version of D:OS... how are we hosed again?

And you can still use the old D:OS if you can't run the EE. Tell me again how anyone is screwed up? Cause your "can't play" makes NO sense what-so-ever.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard