Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just going threw the blogs at Lar.net and saw that the ending in the Enhanced Edition is going to be much grander. Even if only 5% of players actually finished the game.

Is there current stats some where to show how many people completed the game? I'm quite shocked at this considering how easy the bosses were.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

You can get a rough idea based on Steam achievement stats.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Quite surprising how people spend so much money on a game and then not even get half way though it.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
Some people may have bought the game and OWN it, but have not started it yet. Steam can't or doesn't tell the difference. You can't get far without getting the pyramids, and 56.8% of people have gotten those, so if you take THAT as the actual percentage of owners who have played at all, it's closer to 10% of people who started the game have finished the game.

old hand
old hand
There are also people like me who started on Steam due to early access and better support initially, then switched to GOG (where I finished the game) once GOG got its act together.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
M
addict
addict
M
Well, I didn't finish it due to a system crash where I lost all my saves, and they announced EE before I finished my new walkthrough. So now I'm waiting for EE.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why is it so hard to grasp this?

Unless my standards are that off, there is a simpler, third reason for it; it being that nearing its end, if not earlier, the game dragged while simultaneously becoming easier and easier (poor pacing, poorer balance).

Lack of a challenge can be a major detriment. Coupled with the odd bug or lack of a feature..there you go. Just because one bought it..does not mean anything in itself. One could have bought it and still lost interest halfway through.
Nothing that complicated smile

p.s. the first couple of Wizardry games? For over a decade, i had not finished them. At all, lol, any of them. If you've played them, you can probably understand why.

Last edited by Aenra; 11/06/15 05:05 PM.

Pride, honour and purity
old hand
old hand
Most RPGs of this type have this same issue. That's it.
Original Sin might be a little lower lower for a variety of reasons but it's a pretty small difference.

WL2's number is about the same, as is Pillars.

I of course don't mean Larian shouldn't try to improve (read: burn down) the Phantom Forrest.

old hand
old hand
I liked D:OS a lot, but I never beat it. Partly because my save got corrupted for some reason, and also because the combat was trivial by that point. Mostly just because I hadn't got enough star stones by the time I got to the temple door and just was too lazy to find more. I heard the temple and the boss fight were pretty lame anyway, so I didn't feel compelled to frustrate myself just to complete the game. Almost all RPGs get tedious by the end.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't find that surprising at all, achievement stats don't take owned copies vs played copies into account. And many people probably played the game on GOG version too...

So generally speaking, I think the number is more like 10% to 20%

As for why.. well there could be plenty reasons. The start of the game is not very immersive, the characters not hugely interesting.. and the end game is very meh. And some of the puzzles are HUGELY frustrating.

There is not 1 singular reason I am sure, but every single annoying thing makes more people stop playing. And Cyseal.. is not a great start.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I would expect more like 25% completing the game, especially for how hard it gets in the middle. Also with youtube guide videos, there is little to prevent a person from completing a game. Growing up in the 90's you had to have a subscription to a game player magazine to get affordable guides on beating a game. Now those magazines just talk about upcoming games and reviews... no more multi-page lay out of side scrolling dungeons.

I'm surprised I beat it myself, but that's more due to playing beta 15+ times and starting over 3 times after release (at about 75% through the game) due to major patches and additional content only accessed through a new game.

And with the EE, it'll be time to jump right in all over again! I swear, I have got more of my moneys worth on this game than any other RPG I have played so far.

But at least I can say I beat it once so far. *phew*

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
I don't find that surprising at all, achievement stats don't take owned copies vs played copies into account. And many people probably played the game on GOG version too...

So generally speaking, I think the number is more like 10% to 20%

I think this reasoning is flawed. Not everybody plays this game on Steam; that much is true. But why do you assume the people playing it on Steam are different from the people who do not? The Steam achievement says that 5% of the Steam-players have completed the game. It does not say anything of the people that do not play it on Steam, but why assume that they play it differently?

Let us assume that 50% of the players play it on Steam and 50% do not. To make your assumption true - using the completion rate of 10% - the number of non-Steam players that have to complete the game must be 15%. If the upper rate of 20% is to be true, the non-Steam player completion rate has to be 35%. This is a rather large difference of the two groups. Why do you assume they are so different?

I do not know how big the different groups are. How many play this game on Steam and how many do not. If for instance only 1% of the players play it on Steam and 99% of the players do not, the numbers provided by Steam cannot be trusted to apply for the entire gaming base. If the groups are almost equal or if the Steam group is the bigger group, I think the numbers provided by Steam are quite accurate. I cannot see why the behavior of the two groups should differ that much with regard to completing the game.

I know this is a bit of a derail, but the "scientist" inside me had to speak up hehe

Last edited by ivra; 12/06/15 09:47 AM.
old hand
old hand
Isn't this the story of most games?

The biggest reason I feel is there are more games to play all the time.

I'm a fan of cheaper shorter games for this very reason. As much as I love some games, there is a point with many where my ADHD kicks in, the mechanics become boring and I wane.

I also would take it with some concern, as some didn't finish for reasons above or others, bottom line is they didn't finish it and that will stick with them. I feel a lot of second games in a series, with large sales drops reflects this. The customer didn't finish first game, so why but the 2nd?

Things like Blackguards and Grimrock, the follow ups where scary in drop off.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ivra

I know this is a bit of a derail, but the "scientist" inside me had to speak up hehe

That's ok and you are probably right, in the end it would just be more depressing if it really were only 5% the thing though, is that if a steam profile is set to private, achieved achievement stats do not count into the global, but the ownership count still counts into the global, hence why I don't think achievement stats are 100% correct. Someone who played offline is never counted in those numbers either, something you could do with D:OS...

So yep, we are basically guessing and 5% or 10%.. it would be depressing all the same considering how many backers this had. ;p I know quite a few people that stopped played for the above mentioned reasons too.. so yeah

Easily explained by several patches requiring a restart of the game. I have not finished the game but I have been through Cyseal around 5 times and I absolutely HATE it.

Slow leveling,

a ridiculous amount of abilities you HAVE to invest into to make combat fun (weapon, tenebrium, willpower, body building, armourer and marksman, man-at-arms or etc..., a mage has it even worse.) One character getting stunned can lead to NO CHANCE in the fight which makes combat too much about the RNG.

NO direction where to go next, I am level 13 now and no idea where I could go next without getting killed by enemies of a higher level than me.

Last edited by Blablabla; 13/06/15 03:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blablabla
Easily explained by several patches requiring a restart of the game. I have not finished the game but I have been through Cyseal around 5 times and I absolutely HATE it.

Imagine how we alpha/beta backers feel, for us even on release it was already the x th time to play through Cyseal. And that city does not get better the more you play it...

enthusiast
enthusiast

Imagine how we alpha/beta backers feel, for us even on release it was already the x th time to play through Cyseal. And that city does not get better the more you play it...

Yeah, I'd imagine that it's quite possible to get 'Cysealed out', kind of like I had. I played through the beta entirely with a team that I really liked, and then I had to start over for the new game and just couldn't get a team that I liked like the old team that I had, now I'm just waiting to re-play with the new version of the game now that it's been a significant amount of time that I've last played.

I can't speak for anyone buy myself, but I didn't bother to finish the game for a very simple reason.

Larian: "Hey, everyone, we'll be patching in new companions later, so look forward to it!"
Larian: "Hey, everyone, we'll be doing a huge content patch this spring, look forward to it!"
Larian: "Hey, everyone, we're doing a total revamp of the game, so look forward to it!"

It's hard to muster the will to finish the game when there's ALWAYS a major improvement coming "sometime" in the future.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Haleseen

Yeah, I'd imagine that it's quite possible to get 'Cysealed out', kind of like I had. I played through the beta entirely with a team that I really liked, and then I had to start over for the new game and just couldn't get a team that I liked like the old team that I had, now I'm just waiting to re-play with the new version of the game now that it's been a significant amount of time that I've last played.

hah, yeah I guess I really was 'Cysealed out' had to force myself to push through (And thankfully I had no major bugs at least..) and this is also why I didn't play the game again after beating it once.

I hope the EE doesn't "Enhance" Cyseal.. because one thing that city doesn't need is more content. This would be the first time *ever* I as gamer thought to myself "this needs stripping" ... and not even really removing things, but rather just moving things OUT of the city, into huts in the wilderness, into smaller encounters on the road etc...

Just to cut up the immense "wall of text" that you hit when you are in Cyseal and quest there, for the needed level ups and monies to get skill-books.. oh well. Even knowing the dialogs doesn't really make that any less.. easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard