Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
I hope, like the first one, Larian won't have swearing (like the s-word and f-bomb) and nudity, otherwise I cannot play it. I plan on backing this game for $50 when Larian starts accepting PayPal. I'm pretty excited about this!

Last edited by freeportaa; 30/08/15 07:28 PM.
old hand
old hand
Already saw swearing in the PC gamer trailer, sorry.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Windemere
Already saw swearing in the PC gamer trailer, sorry.

Where can I find this trailer?

old hand
old hand
It's actually a developer playthrough, rather than a trailer. I've linked to the video just before the dialogue where it occurs.

https://youtu.be/4X8SS5cysHI?t=18m48s

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Of course it was a dwarf swearing! Well, I don't think it's necessary to swear in a game like this. Larian should at least have an option to censor swearing. :think: Please, Larian, it shouldn't be too difficult to be able to do that!

Last edited by freeportaa; 30/08/15 09:03 PM.
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
This is a pre-alpha build so a lot of stuff are not exactly like they will be in the game at the end, including the s-word smile.

apprentice
apprentice
How about asking for a filter option instead of forcing down your way to others? Win-win if you ask me.

F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Draganta
How about asking for a filter option instead of forcing down your way to others? Win-win if you ask me.

You are right, I don't want to force things ouch . I did ask for a filter though.

Support
Support

I don't know how practical a filter would be, but I'm sure the writers will be a tad more eloquent with the final text, and if there are situations where swearing is appropriate, use something suitable to the setting, not modern colloquial profanity.

veteran
veteran
I'm not sure that attempts at being more eloquent necessarily mean better clarity. Conveying emotion is better at conveying the severity of the situation which is always better than trying sugar coat something because sugar coating can mislead someone into thinking that maybe things may be ok after all without them altering the course of action that led to the confrontation to begin with. As for nudity....I don't think Larian are going to do it but if they feel inclined to then I have no problem with it.

Support
Support

Not being crude doesn't require something be sugar coated. If a character is crass, then using crass language would be entirely appropriate for them (as long as it is also appropriate to Rivellon), but that will not be the case for the game in general. Profanity is also appropriate in certain situations, but if dialogue in the game comes off as one boy trying to impress other boys on a playground, or a trucker and a sailor arguing in a biker bar, the writers will have been very lazy.

veteran
veteran
Reminds me of a scene from a movie called Knight and Day(comedy) where after a lot of insanity and barely surviving a plane crash Tom Cruise's character(forgot the name) tells another character(named June) that he tried to warn her not to get on the plane when he told her some things are meant to be(she was about to be kicked off the flight as her reservation disappeared from the system). To that she replies with "That's not a warning, the next time just tell me: June, don't get on the plane or you are going to f****** DIE!!!"

That movie got a PG13 rating.....DOS already got an M rating....and I seriously doubt that's going down for DOS 2 so I really don't see any purpose for refraining from colorful language. I don't care for tags like calling it "crass" or "immature" or "uncivilized" or whatever you want......if anything I find those tags hilarious because anyone who's been exposed to the modern world of deadlines and big business will know that within any organization cuss-words are very much part of the everyday civilized and mature world and a very effective way of communicating what needs to be communicated in a very time efficient manner.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 30/08/15 11:40 PM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
I really don't see any purpose for refraining from colorful language.

Neither do I. I don't see any reason it would have to be crude, modern colourful language, though. That wouldn't fit any more than NPCs using current slang.

enthusiast
enthusiast
In the modern world, if you don't say the f-word in white collared work, you're pretty much an outcast.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Haleseen
In the modern world, if you don't say the f-word in white collared work, you're pretty much an outcast.

In my 22 years of software development, I've never seen that.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Windemere
Originally Posted by Haleseen

In my 22 years of software development, I've never seen that.

Well then software development =/= IT or infosec.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I've always considered myself as "being in IT", speaking as a software developer and sysadmin. Many or most people I've worked with have sworn on occasion (sometimes those occasions not being all that occasional!) though I wouldn't say anyone would be considered an outcast for not doing so. And there are other creative means of expressing one's discontent or general disgruntlement! laugh

It's a subject I'm slightly ambivalent about: I'm generally not a fan, but then again, a game which let's face it will feature a significant amount of violence might seem rather sanitised if the language is restricted to what one might use in front of one's grandma.

J'aime le fromage.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by freeportaa
I hope, like the first one, Larian won't have swearing (like the s-word and f-bomb) and nudity, otherwise I cannot play it. I plan on backing this game for $50 when Larian starts accepting PayPal. I'm pretty excited about this!

I have never been able to empathise with the hysterically obtuse sensibilities of certain people who are intimidated/outraged/offended by words, nudity or aspects of "the real world" that they just find disagreeable.

Why is it that this abhorrent demographic insists on others kowtowing to their sensibilities?

As a gay person I'm constantly frustrated by members of my own demographic rushing to the fore, shouting loudly about how other people may use words like "gay", "fag" or the countless other expressions despite them being meaningless without a cruel intention behind them.

This frustration applies in equal measure to other vulnerable demographics who seem emotionally incapable of separating words from the intent behind them--granting meaningless garbage power over their lives, their feelings and their perceptions.

So when I come across an asinine post about "swearing" or "nudity" in the hope of censoring such expressions for others, I can't help but cringe at how utterly petty people are and how desperate they are to both play the victim and stand on their street corner loudly proclaiming their offense.

To quote one of my all-time favourite souls:
[Linked Image]

It's no doubt unfortunate for you that you don't live in a heavily padded sanitised pocket that caters to your every whim, wont and tender emotion, but life is a grand, wonderful stage full of vibrant colours and expressions. Being intimidated by words only ever serves to narrow your appreciation for it all and increase your intolerance of other people, societies and cultures that don't resonate your own self-righteous and hyper-inflated sensibilities.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
Why is it that this abhorrent demographic insists on others kowtowing to their sensibilities?

Freeportaa merely hoped the sequel would be like the original in the specified aspect, and said they would not be able to play it otherwise. That isn't trying to censor anything.
I hope D:OS 3 doesn't switch to a first person perspective, otherwise I may not be able to play it (some implementations give me eye strain or headaches).
It wouldn't prevent me from playing D:OS 2, but frequent use of modern profanity wouldn't exactly be appealing, or immersive.

Lots of people have said they wouldn't play D:OS 2 if multiplayer features interfered with single player, or controller support resulted in the PC version being dumbed down, etc.

People have said that they quit playing D:OS because they didn't like the dialogue heavy start of the game, or the balance mid game, etc. One person said they quit when they got to the homestead, because being in space suddenly made no sense to them. The writing style being a turn off for some people is not a unique situation.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
I can't help but cringe at how utterly petty people are and how desperate they are to both play the victim and stand on their street corner loudly proclaiming their offense.

Strong irony in this post. OP asks a simple question and gets a diatribe in response. laugh

Last edited by Windemere; 31/08/15 01:04 PM.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard