Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Hello, i have finised divine divity and divinity 2 and i am trying again Beyond Divinity soon(stopped because i underestimated difficulty, after getting bashed by one of the first enemies in the game, i am gonna restart at a lower difficultyi think).

I have played a lot o rpgs and i thought maybe some ideas i had could help you. I dont claim my views are the best but who knows,maybe some ideas will ring a bell.
I havent played original sin(but will do one day) so maybe some ideas have already been exploited).

1[b]Being able to build a memorable group
[/b]
I think it will be really nice if player can make a memorable group with well written characters. Anyone who played BG2 has favourite companion or several companions he has never forgotten. Mins is the most famous i think.

There should be a balance in the firepower good and evil companions have. I mean that you should be able to make an effective group of lawful good characters or chaotic evil ones.

I know there isnt a system of alignment in divinity games, but what i mean is you shouldnt have to abandon a mate because he has bad stats or skills despite its interesting personality.

2 Limiting the amount of "do it now because if you go further its too late" content.

Divinity 2 has a warning prompting you to finish side quests before reaching a certain point in the game. It is useful because it avoids frustration of being unable to complete quests. I think it would be even better if everything that isnt related to the main quest remained available at any time, by limiting the impact of main quest on secondary quests or characters. Why? Because a lot of players will most likely do a single playthrough of the game(that doesnt mean they dont like it, i do generally a single playthrough because i tend to be obsessed on the idea of helping all people i can help in the game, save all innocents,etc and i invest a lot of time in that playthrough).

3limit the amount of quest breaking bugs. Well i know thats obvious but i fear those bugs.
One of my worst memories of Fallout is being unable to save followers of Apocalypse because of a bug that was never fixed.(and lack of a proper ending for the hub)

4Developp the lore and the idea of factions

Its often interesting to have factions, an order of zealots, a thieves guild, a wizards brotherhood.We hear about guild of assassins in divinity 2 and you can join thieves guild in divine divinity, but it isnt exploited as good as in Baldur'sgate.

5 Romances

I like Romances. They add another reward to the game. Not only can you save or destroy the world, but also build a love story.And buy a house

6 a daring butterfly effect system for events.
Its something very hard to do and probably impossible to create with modern technology. But who knows.

Lets take an example. Your character throws something in a bin, bin falls in the middle of the road. A horse that was approaching is panick-striken and runs over a peasant. The family of the peasant wants revenge and starts to hate the horse's rider. A civil war happens because of this. Meanwhile, another country invades the land, thinking its the right time to do so because the country is weakned by civil war.

Thats an extreme example, but thats the kind of "butterfly events" you could see in a rpg.It would be important to keep a bit of control though, limit the frustration caused by such unexpected events,etc.

[b]Limit or avoid quests with a limited time
[/b]

I must say i never liked getting quests that msut be completed before a week, two weeks,etc. Sure it gives a feeling of emergency, but it also hurts the feeling of liberty you have in a rpg.In Divine Divinity i rushed to complete the quest to save ill villagers to avoid failing.Tales of the Sword Coast(bg1) has a part were you get changed into a werewolf if you dont hurry.

Support
Support

For BD, see the topic Killing Fergus for some early build discussion and tips.

stranger
stranger
I do like your ideas but it looks to me that you are explaining Dragon Age series.
About a future Larian rpgz I think that D:OS ediotor should be used to its maximum potential, in other words or make one more game in D:OS editor simply to save money and still have awesome game or remake old Divinity Games in that creation set. I personally hate when they make HD versions of old games(Icewind Dale HD), instead they should be remade.

old hand
old hand
Divinity Original Sin desperately needed interesting companions being a party-based game. I haven't played it since the last big update which added in more companions and fleshed out the stories of pre-existing ones so I can't comment on whether it's since been improved.

I think consequences already exist in Divinity games especially Divinity 2. Divinity Original Sin also made sure your actions had consequences especially if you killed someone important but what I loved was that there's always a way to complete the main quest (or even a side quest), even if you've killed one of the main characters, mainly due to the multiple solutions and outcomes to quests.

Last edited by Demonic; 03/09/15 12:31 AM.
Support
Support

There will be some further updates to the companion dialogue and quests in the D:OS Enhanced Edition, among other things.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard