Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Hello, I am unsure if anyone at Larian actually reads these forums.. but I figured it would not hurt to come and toss this on.

If at all possible could you make the game not end once the main quest is completed? and have some sort of re-spawn feature for those who want it?

The tool kit, oh wow.. I was so terrified of the one for D:OS. I could not make heads or tails of it. Pretty please make D:OS II's kit easier and friendlier for people. I would love to make adventures in the game.

ReSpawning, I know this is something people often have angst against, but if it was an option would add some danger and length to the game.

Level Scale- Make it so encounters can scale with the player levels rather then static levels. This way adventures made by others could be enjoyed by any level. And the base game could also benefit from Level Scaling in ways. If it also had respawns or random encounters.

Just my view on things and I don't expect everyone to agree, just please keep torches caped. No need for flames.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd suggest using the search feature to see if ideas that you have, have already been brought up before. For example, the editor/tool kit has already been brought up like 3 or 4 times, maybe more, in multiple forums.

Larian does read these forums, or at least I would assume so (since they post here and stuff like that ;)) since they advertise on their kickstarter campaign that you can show your ideas and stuff about the game on this forum.

You can also still post your ideas on here:
http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/314766-divinity-original-sin-2-game-ideas

and vote on ones that you want to see in the game too (I'd also suggest using the search feature there too).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Respawning' though, could you elaborate on what you want to have implemented? From my understanding 'Respawning' would make the game easier, for example if you died, you could just go back to the area you were just at and try again.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Oh respawning monsters! I played the first one and got really bored walking through empty maps. Which is why i also brought up level scaling. So even if someone leveled off respawns the main story would stay around their level.

About the idea site. I have voted there! and posted one about Long hair and gentle face options. For people who want to play more of a kind character. So many games give females this face lately >=( or >=). I think we can only post one suggestion on the site.. so I didn't post anymore.

addict
addict
Well cannot speak about the editor because I only made crappy stuff with it.

concerning respawning, well honestly what I like in Larian's game is that they always have hell of a story to tell and wiping an area is part of the story, it is like in the tales, when you kill someone it does not come back (well at least if we take apart ghost and haunting). I'd rather like to believe that each and every monsters are unique somehow with their own story (that I will brutally bring to an end) than bashing common monsters just to get a level.

about level scaling, and this is my own opinion, I really think it sucks, I mean where's the point, where's the epic battle when you can kill a powerful necromancer with a crappy stuff and two skills?! I like to see my guyz starting from killing rats in a sewer as common people to become more and more powerful and then, and only then, being able to slay legendary creatures. Where is the fun when every peasant can kill the ultimate boss of a game?

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Chaotica
Well cannot speak about the editor because I only made crappy stuff with it.

concerning respawning, well honestly what I like in Larian's game is that they always have hell of a story to tell and wiping an area is part of the story, it is like in the tales, when you kill someone it does not come back (well at least if we take apart ghost and haunting). I'd rather like to believe that each and every monsters are unique somehow with their own story (that I will brutally bring to an end) than bashing common monsters just to get a level.

about level scaling, and this is my own opinion, I really think it sucks, I mean where's the point, where's the epic battle when you can kill a powerful necromancer with a crappy stuff and two skills?! I like to see my guyz starting from killing rats in a sewer as common people to become more and more powerful and then, and only then, being able to slay legendary creatures. Where is the fun when every peasant can kill the ultimate boss of a game?

About respawns, you truly beleive in the world if you kill a few rats that is the end of them? if that is how Larian views a fantasy world. then I am worried. I was not talking about bosses respawning.

About level scaling. I am not sure you understand how it truly works. A peasent would not be able to kill the ultimate boss easily. Since the boss would have more abilities and health. level scaling simply means the player would stay in range of the story so they wouldn't over level or under level at any point.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by QuietArts
Hello, I am unsure if anyone at Larian actually reads these forums.. but I figured it would not hurt to come and toss this on.

Just so you know, yes.
Raze is always there to answer questions too.
Every single post is checked I can assure you smile

Support
Support

Repeatedly killing groups of rats doesn't make for great gameplay. There are situations where respawning would make sense in the game world (migration or reinforcements from adjoining areas, etc), but in general Divinity games are not meant to have a strong grinding mechanic, especially with the switch to turn based combat.

There are ways level scaling could be implemented to keep opponents from becoming too weak if you go to a lower level area later in the game. There are lots of ways level scaling can be implemented poorly, though.

I'm not sure how you can use realism to argue for respawning (at least in the case of rats), but also advocate opponents become weaker or stronger depending on your own level.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Raze

Repeatedly killing groups of rats doesn't make for great gameplay. There are situations where respawning would make sense in the game world (migration or reinforcements from adjoining areas, etc), but in general Divinity games are not meant to have a strong grinding mechanic, especially with the switch to turn based combat.

There are ways level scaling could be implemented to keep opponents from becoming too weak if you go to a lower level area later in the game. There are lots of ways level scaling can be implemented poorly, though.

I'm not sure how you can use realism to argue for respawning (at least in the case of rats), but also advocate opponents become weaker or stronger depending on your own level.

I guess it's just a me thing ._. I just hate being forced through map to map to map with no time to explore around a bit or just kill a few things that re spawned to get a few coins I am short of buying something. Then just going to a credits screen at the end.

Support
Support

I fail to see how lack of respawning or level scaling discourages exploration.

enthusiast
enthusiast
IMO, if there is a limited amount of enemies in a map, you'll be wanting to explore the entire map to see everything and get all the xp. When enemies respawn, it makes me NOT want to explore the map because I know that it's just a waste of time.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Raze

I fail to see how lack of respawning or level scaling discourages exploration.

to me walking around a dead map is a bit dull, again just my personal thoughts. When there is zero danger and then if I have to walk back and forth for a quest.. but I just remembered someone made a mod that did respawns on Divinity Original Sin 1.. so I have to hope that person gets the second one ^_^

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Haleseen
IMO, if there is a limited amount of enemies in a map, you'll be wanting to explore the entire map to see everything and get all the xp. When enemies respawn, it makes me NOT want to explore the map because I know that it's just a waste of time.

Just difference in gaming ^_^ kicking myself for making this thread now.

QuietArts, I understand your concerns but respawning enemy's is not the answer, I got a better idea for places that have already been explored (little fun quests like monster hunter, bounty, treasure hunting and so on)

Read this: http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...dynamic-and-engaging-gameplay-system-ple - Go find this part "Now lets talks about more ADDICTIVE activities to do in the game"

You also made me another idea, side events can be occurred during your paths if you need to visit the area again. Example a imp on the road that was not there before when you need to travel to the same area. I'm sure these little small events can make travelling allot more fun as well smile

Oh by the way there will be an arena in game, so I am sure you'll have allot of fun on that too smile

Hope you leave a comment and vote as this does satisfy most people who want to do more combat and other things to do in the game.

So QuietArts I do agree that there was nothing to interact with when your done exploring the area on D:OS or nothing really happening when travelling to the same destination as you already looted and interacted with everything, just respawning enemy's is not really the answer as it does get repetitive and annoying :P

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Texoru
QuietArts, I understand your concerns but respawning enemy's is not the answer, I got a better idea for places that have already been explored (little fun quests like monster hunter, bounty, treasure hunting and so on)

Read this: http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...dynamic-and-engaging-gameplay-system-ple - Go find this part "Now lets talks about more ADDICTIVE activities to do in the game"

You also made me another idea, side events can be occurred during your paths if you need to visit the area again. Example a imp on the road that was not there before when you need to travel to the same area. I'm sure these little small events can make travelling allot more fun as well smile

Oh by the way there will be an arena in game, so I am sure you'll have allot of fun on that too smile

Hope you leave a comment and vote as this does satisfy most people who want to do more combat and other things to do in the game.

So QuietArts I do agree that there was nothing to interact with when your done exploring the area on D:OS or nothing really happening when travelling to the same destination as you already looted and interacted with everything, just respawning enemy's is not really the answer as it does get repetitive and annoying :P

I voted on the voice site. I love that Larian set that up!! I liked the monster hunting idea thing..

Also for the arena O.o are you sure there is one in game? and it's not just a pvp area?

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qezVapjaYD8

Yes, you can go in by yourself and go against AI's, just hopefully you can go against your companions. Though they might do it differently for Single Player like your party against AI's of creatures and a different setting than hunger games :P

Last edited by Texoru; 07/09/15 03:32 AM.
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
aww darn! had me all excited thinking it was me and my NPC companions vs some monsters or gladiators.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Texoru

The thing I see with this idea though, is that you need a ton of different event so it didn't get tidious. You would not really want to see the same event twice.
Or you would be like "Oh, it's the imp again..."
Not saying it's a bad idea, just... it needs a lot of content to not feel "deja vu".

NorD

I know what you mean but I was not thinking to make the same event more than twice (magical imp selling stuff, travel merchant, bandit, ambush, rare drops and so on)... though it might take allot more effort to add different events and might not be worth adding in as it may complicate things. Though some events can be triggered more than once like merchants.

Though the link I've added about monster hunting, bounty, treasure hunting and so on is much a better idea as it does attract allot of players to do more stuff in the game, so the areas that have been already explored won't feel empty to them when they can get these "fun" quests smile

veteran
veteran
1. Level scaling? HELLLLL NO. I don't think it really needs much explaining why.

2. Respawning? No again. It just screams "grinding". And then people love it, and you know, they come to the forums and complain the game is just too easy cause they grinded and rofl-stomp everything now. Believe me; It will happen. It's opening a can of worms that adds a negative value whatever way you look at it. So why should they waste developer time adding it.

That doesn't mean I disagree with certain events opening up new content (and potentially a battle) in older areas. Like in Area 3 you run into a NPC who tells you evil wizard X took over the lair of the forest after you cleaned it and is using it for pure evil. And if you return, new opponents are there, not just a rehash of the ones you killed before - as akin to the new quest/encounter that lured you back there.
Several other ideas could be the treasure hunts of before (expanded, and sometimes luring enemies to itself), fighting a "lair" (kinda needs objective XP (hell yeah) though or no XP for the lair summons) or as stated bounty hunting.

There's so much one can think of, but just respawning the same enemies will only harm the game and is, at best, a completely lazy cop-out. A big no.

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
1. Level scaling? HELLLLL NO. I don't think it really needs much explaining why.

2. Respawning? No again. It just screams "grinding". And then people love it, and you know, they come to the forums and complain the game is just too easy cause they grinded and rofl-stomp everything now. Believe me; It will happen. It's opening a can of worms that adds a negative value whatever way you look at it. So why should they waste developer time adding it.

That doesn't mean I disagree with certain events opening up new content (and potentially a battle) in older areas. Like in Area 3 you run into a NPC who tells you evil wizard X took over the lair of the forest after you cleaned it and is using it for pure evil. And if you return, new opponents are there, not just a rehash of the ones you killed before - as akin to the new quest/encounter that lured you back there.
Several other ideas could be the treasure hunts of before (expanded, and sometimes luring enemies to itself), fighting a "lair" (kinda needs objective XP (hell yeah) though or no XP for the lair summons) or as stated bounty hunting.

There's so much one can think of, but just respawning the same enemies will only harm the game and is, at best, a completely lazy cop-out. A big no.
\

Not to sound mean, but you type lots and make little sense. Going HELL NO to level scaling then going to respawning and saying will stomp it.. well yeah, that is where level scaling comes into play. To keep it a challenge. But I can see Divinity Original Sin 2 will be just another rush through to the end credits game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard