Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#568380 31/08/15 09:54 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Who is going to be the next music composer for D:OS2 with the (tragically, unfortunate) passing of Kirill? Will we still be getting to listen to unused music tracks that he's made in this game?

http://www.pcgamer.com/divinity-composer-kirill-pokrovsky-has-died/

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

That has yet to be determined.

That was my very first thought as I heard the first time about a new Larian game as Kirill's soundtracks were truly an essential part of making their games immortal over all those years.

I am sure they will choose well and find someone who knows like Kirill to stir the emotions deeply with a variety of tunes. I never forget Kirill's tunes, especially his wonderful melancholic tunes which touched the heart in particular.

*cries at the memory of those wonderful pieces*

Damn Kirill, you are so very much missed! sad sad sad

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bearhug
That was my very first thought as I heard the first time about a new Larian game as Kirill's soundtracks were truly an essential part of making their games immortal over all those years.

I am sure they will choose well and find someone who knows like Kirill to stir the emotions deeply with a variety of tunes. I never forget Kirill's tunes, especially his wonderful melancholic tunes which touched the heart in particular.

*cries at the memory of those wonderful pieces*

Damn Kirill, you are so very much missed! sad sad sad

Yes! Thats right!!

Sound is also an element that cannot be underestimated for D:OS2.

addict
addict
I love Kirill's work, really ! And I am going to miss it but Larian should not wait to much before hiring a new composer. Music composition is part of the artistic process, you cannot firts program the game and then think about chara-design. Same same with the music. I do undertand that Kirill was part of the team since DD but they have to move on and IMO the sooner the better.
Music isn't something you can patch once the game is finished.

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Finding a good and educated composer is harder than you think. Kirill was a professional who had studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory. His tracks are always put together very well in a technical sense. Very good voice-leading, orchestration, logical usage of material etc. He was one of the best in the video game industry and I'm not saying that lightly. It's not technically true that composition for a video game or film is part of the overall process, trust me, I'm a composer (currently studying in the conservatory) as well. John Williams has said that he doesn't even look at the script when he's composing for a film and that tells you something. Music, in its very core, is illusion and sleight-of-hand. That means you CAN patch the music in after the game is completed. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on the concept, ideas and technical skills of the composer. I do hope they find a worthy successor to Kirill.

M
addict
addict
M
Paul Anthony Romero (and/or Rob King) ?

It's a very different style, but as a Homm die-hard fan...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by melianos

Paul Romero is also a professionally trained musician. His invention is very good and he can play with timbres very well. He would be a nice choice. His technical skills are lacking in places, but that's mostly fine. It's mainly because he has been trained as a pianist much more than as a composer.

veteran
veteran
I do not know much about the production of computer games or movies.

But in some cases they made the music first. Like in "the good, the bad and the ugly". (The best western movie of all times from my point of view.) The music was played during production so the actors get into the right mood when acting.

Music is also very importand in a computer game. But unlike a movie, you cannot get the timing between music and action perfectly unless you make a cut scene. Things like
- How long does the player take to read a text and push continue?
- How long does he wait to decide what he uses in his turn in combat
- After entering the map, how long does it take until the player moves to a point where something happens?

Anyway, I am sure they find a good composer.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
M
addict
addict
M
It might be a good idea for a blog post from Sven when they finally decide on who will compose the music, and what kind of music it will be smile

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'd like to suggest Justin Bell, he did a wonderful job with Pillars of Eternity.

Kai Rosenkranz would also be another suggestion, his work doing the soundtracks for the Gothic titles is also a fitting style for this universe.

I don't think anyone can ever replace Kirill but people can certainly attempt to honor his legacy

It might be a good idea for a blog post from Sven when they finally decide on who will compose the music, and what kind of music it will be smile

I vote for fantasy themed polka music. up

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mirkk
I'd like to suggest Justin Bell, he did a wonderful job with Pillars of Eternity.

lol, no. His technical skills are abysmal and his invention is boring and unsalvageable. He is nowhere near Kirill and isn't going to be a good successor. I have nothing more to add really.

stranger
stranger
I vote that most of the original soundtrack gets reused as a tribute and just add some new songs. The new songs having elements that reminds us of the old themes.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kevinik
I vote that most of the original soundtrack gets reused as a tribute and just add some new songs. The new songs having elements that reminds us of the old themes.

So, your idea is to have nothing which reflects the new atmosphere or new themes of Original Sin 2?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Some pieces could be arranged by "Pedro Camacho" he has worked in Witcher 3, Civilizations V and is currently the composer of Star Citizen and I know him personally smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kevinik

That's what they did for D:OS1 already. It's starting to get really noticable, and not in a good way, if they do that *again*

veteran
veteran
I think Kai Rosenkranz would be a good fit. He's extremely talented, in the "reach" of Larian and he would pay the due respect to Kirill, I'm sure.

WOOS
stranger
stranger
I trust Larian to make a fine choice.

apprentice
apprentice

Oh. I do love the music from original M&M series (damn you Ubisoft... what have you done to it T_T) and a soundtrack inspired both by Divinity and M&M games could be wonderful.

Whoever Larian will choose, I hope the music will feel more like 'successor' than something completely different and original.

What do you guys think about Jeremy Soule?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard