Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
If it's not to much to ask, allow us to import character face pictures. That probably requires an overhaul of the system you originally used, but you'd probably want that done for the long term anyway (I think?)

I also am going to second the person that talked about looking at the NWN 1 and 2 editors. They were pretty user friendly. You might also want to look at the Dungeon Master mode if the Game Master stretch goal gets fulfilled as well.

Item editing sucked in the original. Also the contents of chests and such. That was kind of weird, again, look at how NWN's editor handled that.

old hand
old hand
One thing (as a customer to modders) that I'd like to see is if there is a hosting website for various mods. Since I haven't created any game mods myself, I don't know how big those files can be. If they go over a certain file size, then perhaps we can use bit torrent to share the files until they are no longer in high demand. The website would only host the torrent file until a week or two goes by where most of the download traffic will have ended, then there can be a download link for the mod directly from the file server. You could still leave the torrent file link active just incase people would rather share that way.

I think this would be a lot easier for customers as we wouldn't have to find discussion threads or individual websites. The author of the mod would also be able to upload a few screenshots and a brief description of the mod. Zeldaclassic does something similar, although those files are pretty small to download. Zelda classic is a mod based off the original NES game.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Maybe the Nexus could be approached to host files, as well as Steam workshop. I know a lot of people aren't into Steam, so a OriginSin2Nexus could be the solution.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
apprentice
apprentice
Maybe the Nexus could be approached to host files, as well as Steam workshop. I know a lot of people aren't into Steam, so a OriginSin2Nexus could be the solution.

Well, I do know they had a Nexus for OS1, so I don't see why they wouldn't have one for OS2.

Good to see people suggesting the import/export of assets.

Maybe the ability for us to edit stuff straight down to the in-game sound and texture files. I know modders from Skyrim have done texture overhauls as well as fully voiced custom NPCs, and what with users asking for full voice acting (ha), an eager modder could of course create that, themselves.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Release the mod tools along with the alpha/beta versions of the game. This will give us time to learn the toolset, begin producing some custom content, and most importantly, provide hands on feedback!

A
stranger
stranger
A
As mentioned earlier allow us to create and modify items, but I would also like to add that can you allow us to even add crafting recipes in addition to having a plane in the editor to change and add items.

Also would it be possible to allow the create of new buffs and debuffs with the new spells and maybe create interaction between the new effects?

E
stranger
stranger
E
I have only used the Bioware Dragon Age Origins Toolset, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I have developed a few adventures using it and it's ok, not great, ok. I like being able to create a mod that adds creatures, dialogue, new areas to explore. They included the source of pretty much the entire game, which turned out to be a great resource on "How to". Really looking forward to D:OS2 editor!

N
norD Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
N
Ok, I just gathered what was proposed here and updated my 1st post so it's easier to see the "big lines" of what you guys are asking for.
Keep 'em going!

addict
addict
I've never created a mod before but tinkered around a bit in some game's toolset.

My thoughts:

- increase the limit on the total no. of mods a game can run
If Larian can't do this, then no matter how much awesome content is created, a lot of it won't be used. I know Torchlight2 has a 10 mod limit but I've also heard Elderscrolls has like 200++?

M
addict
addict
M
First I have a question, if I do fiddle with DOS editor, will it be useful training for DOS2 editor ?

In the editor, I'd like to be able to change game assets, for example change colors for the ground.
Or can you make it easy to modify assets by opening the files with a text editor of sorts ?
Will you be adding new assets after the game is out ? New terrain, new walls, new theme-based stuff (Candy walls, Candy weapons and armors !)

If I work on a map on DOS:EE, will I be able to import it in DOS2 editor ? Maybe not everything, but part of it (terrain mostly) ?

Multi mod support has already been added to the list, but make it simple too.
As simple as copy/paste a file in a directory please smile
Or why not an interface in the game menu where you can simply see all mods in some given website and just check those you want to download and use.

stranger
stranger
Maybe it's part of "custom ui" and "adding and editing talents" - but what I would like:
being able to...
- change texts in the gui, like changing names of skills or character classes.
- add new character and creature models I've created (maybe this is possible already?)
- add new items (with a custom imported image, effects and description)

N
norD Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by melianos
First I have a question, if I do fiddle with DOS editor, will it be useful training for DOS2 editor ?

I would say yes to some extend. I don't think the editor will be 100% different. But I also don't know how far we will go with that, so maybe?

Originally Posted by melianos

If I work on a map on DOS:EE, will I be able to import it in DOS2 editor ? Maybe not everything, but part of it (terrain mostly) ?

Probably not sadly. Things will change too much in the code and in a lot of other stuff "behind".

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
My biggest stumbling block with the original D:OS editor was the lack of a ready-made player character creator. When I realized that I had to reverse-engineer the one in the main game and to adapt it for the (small) campaign I had in mind, my brain shut down and I never mustered up the willpower to continue working on it. Maybe I have missed something, but I haven't found any tutorials on this back in the day, either...

It would be great if, instead of making an entire level with custom GUI elements floating in the air, we could just say: this module needs 1 (2, 3, 4...) player character(s) of level 1 (2, 3, 4...), with following races, "class" and equipment templates, and appearance options available to select from. If we could then use this character creator in the editor to generate a bunch of legitimate PCs and swap them out during testing, it would be great.

Obviously, the new editor needs to be simply and intuitively designed. We shouldn't have to look up a video tutorial to build a wall, for example. But I'm sure Larian is well aware of that.

The only big thing I can say for CERTAIN that the editor needs, specifically, is a robust dialog editor. Please, please, please look to the dialog editor in Neverwinter Nights' Toolset for an example of how to do it.

stranger
stranger
For this editor to be the best that it can be you need to include:

Assets

1. Publicly shared assets

Have an online database of assets, user ratings, and an easy way to include them in the projects. (including models, animations, music and sound effects)

2. In engine asset modifications

Include a way to change the assets and doodads, and to paint with them. The painting tool should have a controllable randomizer for size and density, and a controllable density (as a minimum).

3. Animation and rigging

Perhaps cloth and hair rendering and materials is a bit much to ask for, but we at least need a way to attach animations to models. An animation editor for people to share animations and a rigging tool to attach the assets to these animations.

Programming Tools

4. Triggers

Easy and clear triggers that can be set up in the world map with a large pool of conditions to chose from. Even conversations with NPCs should be based on a trigger system.

Example: (asset 076: on player interaction, do subroutine "conversation 013") or (on player interaction, condition inventory "item 023" and "skill 011", do subroutine "conversation 013")

5. Easy to use subroutines

After a trigger condition has been met and a specific subroutine has been called, we need a clear and easy way to manage, edit, view, and understand the subroutine.

We need to be able to graphically create a flow chart with operators between events.
Example: event 1 conversation.
conversation option 1, conversation option 2, conversation option 3, operator test inventory item 011: conversation option 4

6. Debugger

An easy way to check our subroutines and triggers.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lightsteal

4. Triggers

Easy and clear triggers that can be set up in the world map with a large pool of conditions to chose from. Even conversations with NPCs should be based on a trigger system.

Example: (asset 076: on player interaction, do subroutine "conversation 013") or (on player interaction, condition inventory "item 023" and "skill 011", do subroutine "conversation 013")

FWIW this is pretty much how it works now unless I'm misunderstanding you.

You do have to type these things in yourself, so I could see sort of a wizard allowing people to get some basic functionality in without touching the script directly.

apprentice
apprentice
Would very definitely like to see a more robust art import process that includes the ability to bring in custom rigged meshes and animations made in outside 3D packages. This is my own primary interest in the editor.

Friendliness to small mods seems really important (this includes a lot of things that have already been mentioned vis-a-vis mod limits, ease of use, not having mods tied into the main campaign, etc.). The DOS editor in its current state seems to say "who's going to bother installing a mod that adds a small new location, or a few new items? Go big or go home!"

More thorough documentation. This sort of goes beyond just tutorials -- I can imagine there isn't going to be a tutorial on every little thing the editor can do. But a thoroughly documented editor might be achievable, and would go a very long way to making the editor viably usable by modders. This approach would make tutorials more suitable for just teaching the basics of using the editor, with documentation handling the more advanced features.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Forgot this one in my previous post but what really is annoying that after you test combat or pick up objects in you level npc will stay dead or objects in your inventory. You should be able to reset the level so you can try things over and over again.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Like some people above said and for emphasis, please use the Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 editors and use them as a basis.

And also please make it so that games can be made for online multiplayer, sorta like mini MMOs (dunno what else to call them).

N
norD Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Grompie
You should be able to reset the level so you can try things over and over again.

This is something I asked myself! We really need that ^__^

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard