Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by Lacrymas
About it being serious music - it all depends on what the intent and skill of the composer is. They can make it serious music or not, Arcanum's soundtrack IS serious music btw and it works great - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHLAcd14b4

You still lack the explanation why it should be serious music after all. What's the benefit?

And I'm also quite curious WHY Arcanum's soundtrack was serious.

Uncultured swine! Tone deaf and absolutely no taste in music. *sniff*

(I don't get it either.)

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
----------------------------
Devine Order of Devinity
----------------------------
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
veteran
veteran

You still lack the explanation why it should be serious music after all. What's the benefit?

And I'm also quite curious WHY Arcanum's soundtrack was serious.

I never said it should be, I said it *can* be. I was explaining why most movie/video game soundtracks sound the same and what can be done to make them not sound the same.

Actually you never did so (the latter part). You don't have to study musical theory to know that many soundtracks especially for fantasy topics sound pretty similar. But you go one step further, you say that this is bad (otherwise you wouldn't insist so much on the topic) and I still want to know why. Why do you want different music? Just because it's different? Because it's more professional? Because you don't like the sound in general? I mean, why?

You know, personally, my most important wish for music in media (means music that supports other elements in audio-visual media which is pretty much the usual definition of music made for movies or video games) is that it gets to me on an emotional level. I don't care whether the music is serious or not or whether it sounds similar to other soundtrack as long as it fulfils this purpose, to deepen then emotional experience I have while playing a game.

Arcanum's soundtrack is serious music because it follows directly from string quartets of western classical music (which is the majority subset of what is considered serious music). Though it is, of course, way more complicated than that, but going into technical details is daunting for people not formally educated in music. Just to remind you - there is no negativity attached to any part of the folk, serious and popular musics triangle.

Well, there is definitely some kind of bias involved in this. Otherwise you wouldn't mention it that often. And then again, the question still stands: why do you want the music for DOS to be serious. You said it "can" be. But why? What's the benefit?

WOOS
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by transfat
What do you guys think about Tilman Sillescu? He is a german composer who has written quite alot, even together with Hans Zimmer for Crysis 2. He is cofounder of Dynamedion which composed for Risen 2 and TES online.

Wasn't Dynamedion responsible for Drakensang soundtrack? I found it really enchanting and fitting the game mood (but then I'm a sucker for DSA >.> )
But for some reason there are no good YT links for those tracks frown (not for AFdZ anyway)

Last edited by Thiev; 01/10/15 11:23 PM.
A
A
Larian should ship DOS2 just without any new music, just let someone rearrange all the stuff we have from Kirill Pokrovsky.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Larian should ship DOS2 just without any new music, just let someone rearrange all the stuff we have from Kirill Pokrovsky.

IIRC they already did something like that for DOS after Kirill got ill. DOS soundtrack is a mixture of new and older stuff from him.

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
I thought the benefit was quite clear - to not sound the same? To actually have some creative value even outside the game. Generic orchestral music No 48394934's creative value is long gone. Kirill's music is serious, btw, he has studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory and his soundtracks for Divinity make full use of that. It doesn't sound even remotely like Generic Orchestral Music. You should probably direct your anger at the people who have classified music this way, because I certainly didn't invent that and neither did I invent the history of music :p

apprentice
apprentice
Another random suggestion and/or a composer I really like is Rik Schaffer, the man behind one of my all time favourite video game soundtracks in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I might be a little biased because Bloodlines is one of my favourite games ever but still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FU6JTZhMS8

A
A
I thought the benefit was quite clear - to not sound the same? To actually have some creative value even outside the game. Generic orchestral music No 48394934's creative value is long gone. Kirill's music is serious, btw, he has studied composition in the Moscow Conservatory and his soundtracks for Divinity make full use of that. It doesn't sound even remotely like Generic Orchestral Music. You should probably direct your anger at the people who have classified music this way, because I certainly didn't invent that and neither did I invent the history of music :p

You might have used instead "formal or art music" and avoided in running into misunderstandings *g*

enthusiast
enthusiast

You might have used instead "formal or art music" and avoided in running into misunderstandings *g*

I was actually contemplating that, but art music would sound even worse (the endless questions will begin - what is art? How is this art music and u-musik isn't? and I'd have to spend even more time explaining :p) and formal music doesn't sound specific enough ;d They are synonyms though, so you are right.

If there's still confusion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music

Last edited by Lacrymas; 02/10/15 02:29 PM.
A
A
The endless questions are implied anyway as the borders are not very clean. 12 tone jazz still popular music are already serious business? Neo-Classic-Metal? etc ;-)

enthusiast
enthusiast
The endless questions are implied anyway as the borders are not very clean. 12 tone jazz still popular music are already serious business? Neo-Classic-Metal? etc ;-)

Yeah, but the average person doesn't know what dodecaphonic jazz is or where exactly the line blurs between u-musik and formal music :p I don't think it's even possible to explain that to a person who hasn't studied music at some point. They just lash out at me whenever I mention something they aren't familiar with, like you see in this thread.

addict
addict
Having good knowledge of a subject doesn't make you a good teacher of the subject.

Someone around here previously mentioned Michael van der Bos and his work on AoW3. I liked said pieces, but I think there is a gap between music meant for a strategy game and atmospheric music meant for an RPG. Could the artist pass that gap? I don't know, but he'd be my choice if he could.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Having good knowledge of a subject doesn't make you a good teacher of the subject.

I'm actually a teacher in real life, lulz. Well, I'm a student and I do some teaching on the side.

apprentice
apprentice

Someone around here previously mentioned Michael van der Bos and his work on AoW3. I liked said pieces, but I think there is a gap between music meant for a strategy game and atmospheric music meant for an RPG. Could the artist pass that gap? I don't know, but he'd be my choice if he could.

I did. But since then I dug up my soundtrack from River of Time and promptly switched sides.

A
A

If that is your concern, I would say FlyByNo does quite the atmospheric music for roguelikes and strategy games ;-)

veteran
veteran

Yeah, but the average person doesn't know what dodecaphonic jazz is or where exactly the line blurs between u-musik and formal music :p I don't think it's even possible to explain that to a person who hasn't studied music at some point. They just lash out at me whenever I mention something they aren't familiar with, like you see in this thread.

Well, I understand you much better since I know that you're an (aspiring) teacher. You have the right attitude/writing style already. wink

But back to topic, "to sound different" is imo no worthy goal. Different doesn't mean good. I'd rather have another "generic" (which is by the way just another bland word) soundtrack that sounds nice than serious music, that sounds different - but also not as nice. You know, most people are only interested in whether they like music, whether they like the melodies and the sound. They don't care at all whether somebody made it who has studied music himself or whether somebody uses certain techniques. There is no value in these things if they don't create music that people like more - especially in ambient/soundtrack music. I mean, we're no talking about an opera or an instrumental track in which the music has to speak for itself. That's a completely different premise.

Last edited by LordCrash; 02/10/15 06:54 PM.

WOOS
veteran
veteran
I have to agree with LordCrash.
99% of computer game players have not studied music and its theories, but everybody has his own opinion if he likes a piece of music or not. Larian should aim that many players like the music, not that the music is good according to a theory almost nobody knows.

personal comments:
-I had a little bit of music theory at school, it was boring as hell and I have forgotten everything. Once we listened to an opera in order to analyze it. It was supposed to be german but I did not understand a single word (I am german). My comment: Well, it is definitely serious art, but I don`t understand it and I don`t like it.

- When you (Lacrymas) said folk music I was thinking of the german word Volksmusik, which is music based on some local tradition and often sung with dialect, but most of the time it is composed by someone. When I visit my parents and they listen to it (does anybody know the TV show Musikantenstadl? If not you are lucky) I have to leave the room and listen to some rock or electronic music to recover from the shock.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
enthusiast
enthusiast

But back to topic, "to sound different" is imo no worthy goal. Different doesn't mean good.

I was thinking something along the lines of this - https://youtu.be/OitPLIowJ70?t=1313 (I've linked it at the fourth movement) rather than something 20th/21st century or anything too wild/experimental.

M
addict
addict
M
I'm not sure there is a composer out there recognized for his work that doesn't know the basics of formal composing. Or if there is, he hasn't written more than a couple scores.

To get back to the basics, music scales were invented for a reason, if you don't use them your music will sound bad to almost everyone.

A
A
Originally Posted by melianos
I'm not sure there is a composer out there recognized for his work that doesn't know the basics of formal composing. Or if there is, he hasn't written more than a couple scores.

To get back to the basics, music scales were invented for a reason, if you don't use them your music will sound bad to almost everyone.

This is quite reasonable answer to LordCrash, on top of that there is a elephant in the room. Something generic will mean a decrease in quality compared to the divinity games of the past. Kirill Pokrovsky was writing some really outstanding soundtracks for the divinity games. He can never be replaced, but if you do not want to lower the quality of the game then you have to aim very high.

And btw, while I like the Drakensang soundtrack and consider if fitting for a Realms of Arkania (DSA) game, I don't think that level of quality would be desirable for a divinity game.

Here btw some samples of Drakensang OSTs as people seemed to have trouble finding it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtfUtFpj1Oo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvU8xQeqnWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjciBKNkos

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard