Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42
thanks jeff

everytime i read stuff like this im more and more convinced that i really like to do this and continue to try hard to also one day be part of a family like this and create stuff right out of your brain for everyone to see
dive into it so hard that you live what you do... i really enjoy creating art and especially games art...
all you people here and companies like larian really make me go deeper and deeper into it until it just happens :P

addict
addict
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by norD
Originally Posted by LordW
BTW that blog was really nice, could you maybe write a little bit more about your experience at ubisoft? I really would like to read that.

If you haven't saw, here you go : https://jfgnord.wordpress.com/

Great post, thanks.

It's really sad when you read stuff about Ubisoft and people almost never differentiate between the people who work for the company and their personal opinion about the games or even only some very top-level management decisions. Many people sadly fail to see that probably 99% of all people working at Ubisoft just want to create the best games possible and that criticizing the studio in the way it's often done on the internet must really hurt them. It became really "en vogue" in the past few years to just literally bash everything Ubisoft, on a level even Activision never experienced. It must be really a nice breath of fresh air for you to actually see people on the internet to appreciate the stuff for and the company you work in for sure... smile

Yes, it's sad that the workers, dev, designers, artists, wanting to make a good game, are pushed to create games that are ultimately seen as "crap" by the community... Sometimes because it's true, but most often because of a strong bias.
I was a big fan of Ubisoft for having some heart and the will to do things properly, but, one day, they started lying to the players - you know, the infamous visual downgrade of Watch_dogs, or the ultra-faked screenshots, the fake promises, etc. The leaders, the marketing guys, or some guys even above, decided they had to follow in Activision/EA footprints and start putting more of the money in advertising and marketing around a game, rather than in the actual game.
The last Ubisoft game I genuinely enjoyed was AC3. The heart and love poured into the game was real. The passion to recreate History, to take the time needed to tell a story, having almost half the game voiced in Native languages, a lot of innovative gameplay elements... But the public dismissed it because the hero was bland and a "looser". Obivously he was going to be. How could a Native/English guy could even have a chance in the post-independance colonies of America ? It was sad. I had a thought for the writers and researchers and designers.
But yeah, then came forth the era of WD and AC4, and all the sh!t they started to put together. I won't lie, the society, the name, deserved it. However, sh!t falls downward, not upward. And so it's the workers who take the blame.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 05/10/15 12:41 AM.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
veteran
veteran
Well, I still think AC Revelations was the best AC Ubisoft ever made. And AC3 was the last really good one.

The main "design failure" of all their big games since was that they desinged their worlds almost on a mathematical level. X chests, X quests, X towers, X activities. While their previous games were all about the narrative, their newer games are all about always the same old formulaic open world design. While everything has an insane production value the whole thing feels all too often ultimately heartless and less and less unique. In the end, that game design is a victim of its own success. It worked so well for Ubisoft that they apply it on pretty much every big game they made - for the last 5-5 years or so, basically since AC 3/4 and FC 3. That stuff just sells too well so there is no incentive to change the basic formula. Pouring heart and new design approches into it only threatens the economic success and has naturally a hard stand - especially if you think about the insanely short production times, only possible by the ton of people who work simultaneously on the titles.

So it's no surprise that in terms of world and game design, AC, Watch_Dogs and Far Cry are pretty much all the same and that The Division and the new Ghost Recon game will turn out pretty similar as well. It's all Ubisoft being imprisoned in the endless sequel loop of something that once turned out to be the ultimate AAA formula...

WOOS
norD #570816 05/10/15 06:45 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by norD
BTW that blog was really nice, could you maybe write a little bit more about your experience at ubisoft? I really would like to read that.

If you haven't saw, here you go : https://jfgnord.wordpress.com/

Thanks for link Jeff. I must say that it was quite interesting read, mostly i enjoyed Swens approach to interviews grin... what did your talk of Dungeon and Dragons consist of? Rules, worlds, narrative, world design??

SteamID: LordW (https://steamcommunity.com/id/LordW1984)
Devine Order of Devinity

Larian made DoS 1 then DoS EE and now they are doing DoS 2, that is 3 games... DIVINITY 3 is comfirmed guys!
addict
addict
Well, I still think AC Revelations was the best AC Ubisoft ever made. And AC3 was the last really good one.

The main "design failure" of all their big games since was that they desinged their worlds almost on a mathematical level. X chests, X quests, X towers, X activities. While their previous games were all about the narrative, their newer games are all about always the same old formulaic open world design. While everything has an insane production value the whole thing feels all too often ultimately heartless and less and less unique. In the end, that game design is a victim of its own success. It worked so well for Ubisoft that they apply it on pretty much every big game they made - for the last 5-5 years or so, basically since AC 3/4 and FC 3. That stuff just sells too well so there is no incentive to change the basic formula. Pouring heart and new design approches into it only threatens the economic success and has naturally a hard stand - especially if you think about the insanely short production times, only possible by the ton of people who work simultaneously on the titles.

So it's no surprise that in terms of world and game design, AC, Watch_Dogs and Far Cry are pretty much all the same and that The Division and the new Ghost Recon game will turn out pretty similar as well. It's all Ubisoft being imprisoned in the endless sequel loop of something that once turned out to be the ultimate AAA formula...

Hey, I actually 100% agree for once =) Nah, 99%. I skipped Revelations but I really liked Brotherhood myself. Oh well...

Click to reveal..
stranger
stranger
Hey everyone! Eight hours of make-work later and I am free of my job... until tomorrow. What's up?

Steam ID: robotsnblasters
addict
addict
Originally Posted by QuoteStar
Hey everyone! Eight hours of make-work later and I am free of my job... until tomorrow. What's up?

Hey o/
Well anything that isn't down ! *badum tssss*

Click to reveal..
journeyman
journeyman
Morning all. On the train back to sunny Wales. Hope you're all good.

Steam ID: ThePenguinK1d
M
mt1 Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Starting to miss the 300 posts to catch up on. also how is everyone?

OP Offline
Morning all! It's Monday...

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
----------------------------
Devine Order of Devinity
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ravensRblack
Morning all! It's Monday...

Is it? Daaamn I knew I was forgetting something... *runs to work*

Click to reveal..
stranger
stranger
It's really weird being however many hours ahead of most of you. Everyone's all "oh man Monday morning!" And here I am on Monday night just chilling on the internet.

Steam ID: robotsnblasters
Thx Larian for showing me Gang Beasts at party twitch-stream. Bought it and played with my son yesterday. It was so fun, we laughed all the time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dr Koin

Hey, I actually 100% agree for once =) Nah, 99%. I skipped Revelations but I really liked Brotherhood myself. Oh well...

LOL, I doubt these 100% if you never played Revelations. I mean, really? You missed the best AC... jawdrop

Last edited by LordCrash; 05/10/15 11:46 AM.

WOOS
LordW #570839 05/10/15 11:50 AM
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Thanks for link Jeff. I must say that it was quite interesting read, mostly i enjoyed Swens approach to interviews grin... what did your talk of Dungeon and Dragons consist of? Rules, worlds, narrative, world design??

We we basically talking about rules. He also asked me what was my favorite edition and since I haven't played 5e we were comparing ^__^. We also talked a lot about Pathfinder because this is the ruleset I'm using right now with my buddies.

veteran
veteran

WOOS
journeyman
journeyman
Well good afternoon from hearth of the Europe! This Monday is so hectic I almost forgot to check forums today :-D, its good to see everyone is doing ok, I myself am little tired (mostly mentally) and cant wait for end of the week ( there will be weekend full of gaming, or I will be writing my final thesis, cant decide :-/ ).

BTW I am thinking of buying new chair to sit on during my PC time, any ergonomic tips?? (p.s. im not going to spend 1 000 dollars on chair grin )

SteamID: LordW (https://steamcommunity.com/id/LordW1984)
Devine Order of Devinity

Larian made DoS 1 then DoS EE and now they are doing DoS 2, that is 3 games... DIVINITY 3 is comfirmed guys!
LordW #570844 05/10/15 12:48 PM
veteran
veteran
BTW I am thinking of buying new chair to sit on during my PC time, any ergonomic tips?? (p.s. im not going to spend 1 000 dollars on chair grin )

Maybe you want to check that out: http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

WOOS
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Maybe you want to check that out: http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

Oh look at that, the chairs we have at Larian.

OP Offline
I have very bad posture when it comes to sitting in front of the computer. I look like Gollum. Crouched and hunched on my keyboard. Sometimes (often) bleary eyed with a huge cup of tea next to me (that may or may not have been spilt before).

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
Devine Order of Devinity
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard