Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So we all have this picture in our head of what we want this game to be. We have played Original Sin and seen what they've done with the EE (for free!!), and now our brains are running wild, thinking if they can make competitive question maybe they can make... Yeah, here it stops because the rational part of our brains kicks in and sets us straight.

But let's pretend that ours craziest dreams could become a reality? What would you want this game to do?

Here is mine:
Destructible environment with physics and realistic npc reactions. So not only is ash and dust flying everywhere when you throw a fireball, but bricks and tiles too. Wall crumble as the fire spreads and npcs run screaming after buckets of water. Three houses burned down after one of the worlds most powerful sourcers released his wrath on the town. But all hope is not lost for the unfortunate families of these houses.. This is a tightknit community... A week later the everyone is fast at work rebuilding the houses.

Let your dreams fly free!

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 05/10/15 07:34 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Taming my own little Dragon and seeing how it grows up, just to be eaten by it when it is an adult stupid

Spiegelberg! He, Spiegelberg! Die Bestie hoert nicht.
journeyman
journeyman
Yeha, destructible environments would be great !!!

Last edited by BoTToX; 05/10/15 06:24 PM.

My signed collector bike ; )
veteran
veteran
Detaching SP completely from MP, making it a traditional narratively dense SP experience with good moral choices and real, lifelike companions.

Basically a Bioware game in good... rolleyes

WOOS
F
stranger
stranger
F
Maybe you should browse in the ideas section? You can vote there or place new ideas:
http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/314766-divinity-original-sin-2-game-ideas/filters/hot

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The point of this is voicing some of our more unrealistic ideas. It's not meant to be about serious suggestions smile

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Here is my crazy dream:

No generic NPC's like "a citizen" or a "skeleton" or "a guard". Every (I mean really every!) NPC should have a personality and unique dialogue lines. Depending on your charma you can then talk and take up quests from zombies/ghouls etc.

enthusiast
enthusiast
unrealistic ideas you say?

How about...

*Children* in D:OS 2 wink

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Here is my crazy dream:

No generic NPC's like "a citizen" or a "skeleton" or "a guard". Every (I mean really every!) NPC should have a personality and unique dialogue lines. Depending on your charma you can then talk and take up quests from zombies/ghouls etc.

One of the things I liked about Oblivion was the almost total absence of generic NPCs (well, other than the random mobs of marauders etc that would pop up) and it seems that nearly all had something unique going on with them.

I tried to do the same in a rather overly ambitious mod I never finished and probably had the most fun of all creating unique NPCs with their own schedules, living spaces and so on; and since voice work was out of the question I'd leave odd letters and other randomness around to indicate some sort of life and personality.

That wasn't what eventually killed my mod, though: well, it was the mission creep really ("add a few NPCs to the castles!" someone suggested, but it wasn't so long before the cities were starting to have entire new districts added to them). It was the cluttering. Clutter fatigue really is a thing.

J'aime le fromage.
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
unrealistic ideas you say?

How about...

*Children* in D:OS 2 wink

This made me "laugh" a bit. I'll talk about my last job here just because of that.
Just before joining Larian I worked on AC Syndicate for 2 and a half year.
For those who don't know, that AC game is set in London during the industrial revolution.
One important part of that time period was kid orphanage, child labor and so on. There were a lot of topics concerning children. So we were mostly forced to add children in the game; which was never done before. Adding children to the game costed a lot of ressources. New animations, new skeletons, new rigs, new model, etc, etc.
Adding children to a game is, really, hard if you haven't planned for it and it's still pretty hard even if you have planned for it. For DOS it would be even harder because you would need, dwarf, lizards, elves, human and undead children. That's just insane...
Also, children break games. What I mean is that, in games, you can't kill children. It's just not right.
In DOS, one of the core system of the game is that you can kill every single NPC and still be able to finish the game.
Adding children, in my opinion would break that core concept because it would just be so wrong to be able to kill them...
So yeah, that one is a dream for sure, haha.
My 2 cents ^__^

veteran
veteran
Things I want which are never going to happen?

Hmmm...

How about a romance option between the randomly put-together player character and a companion, which hits various character beats to create a genuine and meaningful romantic relationship which you can see build up over time?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Some great ideas I would love to see all of them. Especially the kids thing and the unspoken reasons why. So dark!

I just remembered a big one. Day and night cycles with npc schedules. I would erase all the stretch goals, except for modding support, for this one. It would immersive me so much in the story to feel like time was passing as the story evolves. It would also make the cities and npcs feel so much more alive.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by norD
Also, children break games. What I mean is that, in games, you can't kill children. It's just not right.

You mean it's not right that we can't kill them right?

Adding children, in my opinion would break that core concept because it would just be so wrong to be able to kill them...

Oh.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I guess the rule could be bent just to accommodate children, maybe. I loved the mod that added kids to Oblivion, it had them on permanent run and rather cleverly, they just had one line of dialogue (though voiced for both boy & girl and for the different races) which was "sorry, I'm not allowed to talk to strangers"! laugh

I thought there were some children in D:OS, though admittedly not many: wasn't there at least one in that family who had to be rescued from that basement?

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Can somebody explain this: Why is it OK to kill hundrets of adults in a game, but the death of a single child is something unthinkable? (not specifically regarding D:OS2, but games in general)

In PoE you can kidnap and sacrifice a baby.

on topic:
- free movement: jump, swim and fly around.
- dig tunnels to find hidden treasures or bypass the collapsed entrance of a dungeon.
- Use Objects to build bridges. Build a tower of crates to jump on a roof top. Throw a door (or something similar) over a chasm to cross it. In half life 2 you could do it and sometimes it was even fun.
- I like it when every NPC has an individual name and his daily routine. This was one of the few good things in (the otherwise horrible) oblivion.
- an alien invasion (and you thought the divine order was bad)

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
L
apprentice
apprentice
L

My 2 cents ^__^

I never understood the convention that it seems to be perfectly okay to "kill" innocent "humans" in video games, but when it comes to children it'll be regarded as severe violation, taboo-breaking.

I never like nor bother to play (complete) evil characters (like the "chaotic evil"-alignment in D&D), so I wouldn't slaugther kids even if possible. Well, not true - in "Crusader Kings 2" I *do* murder children, if they're nasty heirs to the throne and I'm directly behind them in succession... *evilgrin*

Whatever, so why do people regard child murder worse than "normal" murder? I think they're both as vile as possible, the victim's age doesn't matter.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

This made me "laugh" a bit. I'll talk about my last job here just because of that.
Just before joining Larian I worked on AC Syndicate for 2 and a half year.
For those who don't know, that AC game is set in London during the industrial revolution.
One important part of that time period was kid orphanage, child labor and so on. There were a lot of topics concerning children. So we were mostly forced to add children in the game; which was never done before. Adding children to the game costed a lot of ressources. New animations, new skeletons, new rigs, new model, etc, etc.
Adding children to a game is, really, hard if you haven't planned for it and it's still pretty hard even if you have planned for it. For DOS it would be even harder because you would need, dwarf, lizards, elves, human and undead children. That's just insane...
In DOS, one of the core system of the game is that you can kill every single NPC and still be able to finish the game.
My 2 cents ^__^

Hey Jeff! You know, there were children in Divine Divinity and you could even kill them (or rescue them from the blood suckung vampires^^) And even in D:OS 1 there was a troll child whom you you could kill...

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Lord_MacLeod
Well, not true - in "Crusader Kings 2" I *do* murder children, if they're nasty heirs to the throne and I'm directly behind them in succession... *evilgrin*

Haha ;-) It reminds me of a very evil thing which I did in CK2. I, the mighty King Ragnarr of Sweden (still unreformed norse pagan though) have one (pretty decent) son who is to be my heir and only daughters otherwise. That is pretty good since I still have access only to the elective gavelkind. I am already 72 years old and preparing for the Walhalla. Suddenly, my third concubine (who is already 42) gives birth to a son... Damn it! I can't plot to kill my own children, so I cold-heartedly imprison my 2 days old son and execute him... Hmpf, needless to say that I felt really bad afterwards. But otherwise I always try to go elective in order to get my dream heir to the throne.

Last edited by Elwyn; 06/10/15 09:12 AM.
Originally Posted by Lord_MacLeod
Well, not true - in "Crusader Kings 2" I *do* murder children, if they're nasty heirs to the throne and I'm directly behind them in succession... *evilgrin*

CK2, teaching you what really matters. Murder, regicide, misogyny, incest, adultery, polygamy, Paganism - all for the glory of your family.

Steam ID: RvnBlk
GOG ID: GRANKYZ
----------------------------
Devine Order of Devinity
----------------------------
Discord Divinity Original Sin Lobby
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Suddenly, my third concubine (who is already 42) gives birth to a son... Damn it!

I really love the depth of this game, it's amazing.

I once had a perfect heir, great attributes, a bunch of green traits, nothing red. The old king was in his seventies and my designated heir was in his early 30s - a perfect age to become a wise and beloved new ruler.

The old king passed away and this paragon of virtue succeeded to the throne. Both peasantry and nobility loved him, the clergy smiled upon the anticipated continuation of a great reign. Everything seemed perfect.

Well, until fall came. When the leaves turned golden, my glorious young king decided to host the annual royal hunt, as his father did and so his grandfather did before. On the day of the hunt, he rode out into the royal forest, being confident to bring down a majestic stag on his own.

Too bad, he ran into a big brown bear.
He got maimed and never recovered from his severe wounds. He died shortly after, having sired no heir.

His mischievous, ever-scheming uncle then took over.
End of story.

grin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard