Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
N
old hand
old hand
N
I hope the new editor will be windows 10 friendly as well cause it just keeps crashing at the moment.

L
stranger
stranger
L
It would be nice if you could import Blender file types as well.

Originally Posted by Luke R

Support for open file formats is already noted. smile

Another matter that's always quite tedious when digging through new code is getting a knack of all the structure elements.
So, depending on the complexety and looking at the "ease of use" side, maybe it's possible to have something like a source/call tracker on board?

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
addict
addict
a thorough, in depth, comprehensive, comprehensible, complete manual

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
stranger
stranger
After watching the level editor stream, I kept wanting an easy/fast way of previewing the model assets that they kept looking for. It's always a huge pain to know what you are looking for as far as model assets when all you have is a cryptic name in a crazy long list of cryptic names.

Please give us an asset preview window that we can leave open that when we click on an asset in those crazy long lists it is previewed.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 4verse

I know NWN is always mentioned with things like this and I'm not the biggest fan overall. But one thing I did love about NWN is it has some magazines for content programmers. Not that this is needed in 2015, hard print, but I thought that was bas ass for the time. A great way to get your kids interested in programming.

EX:
[Linked Image]

Maybe D:OS's secondary destiny will be a TB/COOP Engine for designers.

Yes, I'd go as far to say the Tutorials are more important than the overall features at this point.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 06/10/15 09:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just came back to DOS and gaming in general after some month break (family, moving city) and DOH i again missed the kickstarter. There was some time i read this forums at a daily base eagerly waiting for these interesting times.. anyway here my first fast 2 cents..:

I want to quote this very old post of mine as it sums up my very first impressions from the DOS1 editor and compares it to NWN2 editor (which i heavily used aswell is import / retexturing modding, and was mentioned for good reasons aleady several times here in the thread)

Look here: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=42990&Number=510259#Post510259

to sum up my important features i'd liked to see and are still valid:
  • tint function: generally skin and hair is tintable. So make it all placeables and wearables and monsters and and
    In NWN2 i even once found an interesting workaround to whiten / bleach textures (we made minas tirith the white city in NWN2 HotTA persistent world LOTR project which never fully released unfortunately).
    Instead of retexturing greyish wall textures (which wont become brighter but just darker by tinting them) i made yellow (R 255 G 255 B 0) tint maps. with having a RGB tint texture (3 colors, 1 for each channel) the yellow ( R + G ) double channel bleaches the original texture. To make the long story short: this tool tinkering with allowed us doing stuff not forseen by the original designers.
  • making it more easy to use and apply the material editor: this could make a lot of retexturing work obsolete
  • make it easy to to change and associate texture of assets in the editor
  • easy to understand the file structure of the engine and to import / export textures into the game also without 3D editor. I remember i did tons of stuff just with photoshop incl. normal maps and some import tools
  • second plugins
  • second area prefabs but also placeable prefabs. with some lego bricks assets you can make pretty cool architecture. save it and share it. Was made successfully in NWN2. Just the engine couldnt handle to much polygons of complex placeables at the end. simple bricks assets though were fine.
  • import export area and all kinds of prefabs. make it possible to share and work together. Not everybody has the capacity to make a whole big mod but maybe gets really good in tinkering and messing around with one aspect of the editor.
  • z-axis? not too important but well
  • changing wearable parts and color in game: i remember having a lot of fun creating the perfect outfit. if it against the policy that players should earn their style keep it for GM mode and cheat mode
  • i like playing in isometric view, though having a look around function or at least a camera function that shows you distance panorama at certain triggers would be really nice.

I second to look up the NWN toolsets for friendlyness.

I trust you (and most of all game industry) to do something i was waiting for a long time. DOS1 editor has a lot of potential but polishing it, make it more friendly plus some key features and there you go wink

Last edited by morez; 07/10/15 11:18 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

I know NWN is always mentioned with things like this and I'm not the biggest fan overall. But one thing I did love about NWN is it has some magazines for content programmers. Not that this is needed in 2015, hard print, but I thought that was bas ass for the time. A great way to get your kids interested in programming.

Yes, I'd go as far to say the Tutorials are more important than the overall features at this point.

do you read this, larian? hehe

you already have educational software/games. this great idea could enhance your portfolio?

Last edited by 4verse; 09/10/15 02:05 PM.

addict
addict
Better configurable camera movement

If this is possible already, please enlighten me, but even though the camera in the editor is easy enough to use once you know the shortcuts (middle mouse button, arrow keys, CTRL, ALT, pressing both mouse buttons), I'd really like to be able to move the camera according to regular Spacesim standards. Namely: completely free 3D movement.

- Middle mouse button for mouselook works well enough
- Forward, left, backwards, right (this is possible already)
- Up, down (not possible right now?)
- Roll left or right (would only make sense if you can view the world upside down ...)

- Also useful: keys or modifier keys to rotate around the targeted y axis or a selected object, similar to a regular rotating camera in the game. Basically automatic perfect strafing around the currently targeted (virtual or real) point or object.

Particularly the lack of up or down movement irks me and can apparently only be simulated by pointing the camera up or down and zooming in or out.

My personal keys for those would be:
- ESDF for moving the camera forward, left, back or right
- Space for moving the camera up ("Jump key")
- Z for moving the camera down ("Crouch key")
- W/R for rolling the camera left or right
- A/G for horizontal strafing around a target

But as long as they are configurable I guess everyone would be happy. I do prefer to keep my left hand on the left side of the keyboard.

Edit: And, for first time users, please add info about how to move the camera right after starting and configuring the editor settings. smile

Edit 2: More keyboard shortcuts would be nice too, like CTRL-D for "deselect all" (from Photoshop).

Last edited by Arhu; 09/10/15 09:06 PM.
X
apprentice
apprentice
X
Originally Posted by Luke R

Blender has conversion scripts for most major 3D software now.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Horrorscope

EX:
[Linked Image]

They had a guide just for the Editor? That's so cool. I never knew about that lol.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Haleseen
They had a guide just for the Editor? That's so cool. I never knew about that lol.

There was a script mag/quide as well. Print was still big enough then.

veteran
veteran
Allow detailed skill tree \ individual skill editor, and of course enable resistances\damage editing, please.

As obvious it may sound, race editor too, in order to be able to add more. Plugin support, like the Dragon Age editor was promised to have but never delivered, would be a nice idea.

Also. allow for voiceset editor\customisation, please. hoping that there is no voice acting for the main character, like Dragon Age was.

Is it also going to be a map editor?

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 10/10/15 10:08 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I'm assuming that you haven't used The Divinity Engine from the release of Divinity: Original Sin. It's not a map editor, but you can edit maps for sure (like the original campaign maps/scripts/events/etc.). I'd say it's more akin to, say... unity, but with a bunch of rpg plugins and stuff. Suffice to say, it's an (specialized) engine, and not a toolset.

veteran
veteran

I'm assuming that you haven't used The Divinity Engine from the release of Divinity: Original Sin. It's not a map editor, but you can edit maps for sure (like the original campaign maps/scripts/events/etc.). I'd say it's more akin to, say... unity, but with a bunch of rpg plugins and stuff. Suffice to say, it's an (specialized) engine, and not a toolset.

I gave up after how broken, user-unfriendly it was and how it never allowed anything to be made. I hope this one will be better.

addict
addict

I gave up after how broken, user-unfriendly it was and how it never allowed anything to be made. I hope this one will be better.

i dont think it was broken.
oc it was not meant to be used "casually"; after all it was the tool DOS1 was built with.
so, think issue is not "what can be done with it" but "how can it be done", ie usability.

larian promised exactly this in this kickstarter, so i have high hopes (and also expectations) regarding the "new" thing

Last edited by 4verse; 11/10/15 06:06 PM.

addict
addict
swen talks about "pre defined templates" (in KS update 7) that will be used in DM mode to change the game on the fly.

templates could/should be available in the "normal" modding mode as well: maybe larian could implement a "template" mode/option or something into the modding tool that allows for a "quick"-building of scenarios, ie the more complex tools are disabled and only a basic dialog + encounter editor (similar to what is possible in DM mode) + a "slim" map editor (like templates for houses, castles, woods, graveyards etc.) are available.

SCL has something like this (though IMO SCL's editor is too restrictive)

this way, story/scenario mods could be built much easier and quicker

Last edited by 4verse; 11/10/15 06:51 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
As a former user of NWN2 modding tools I would like to direct you to certain NWN2 custom content still available (although IGN they shut down nwvault the former main modding hub)

For Terrain building and Mapping there were some really sweet plugins (yes we want plugin support also for DOS2!). Made by users to improve functionality and usability, these could be excellent examples of how to improve the editor:

well beside that i really would like to have more cinematic tools like cameras cutscenes overshoulder action in combat camera like XCOM. Though dont know if the assets will allow it.

N
addict
addict
N
The D:OS editor supports plugins actually. However, the list of loaded plugins is hardcoded and you need some C# magick to make it load external ones. Also, the native (C++) stuff is not exposed in any header file, so making calls to it is harder.

The startup code looks something like this:

pluginService.AddPlugin(new TerrainPlugin());
pluginService.AddPlugin(new AIPlugin());
pluginService.AddPlugin(new CharactersPlugin());
pluginService.AddPlugin(new ItemsPlugin());
[...]

journeyman
journeyman
What I would like to see is an easy way to create inventory for chests, drop tables for enemies, and tables for merchants, by simply dragging or picking stuffs we want, without having to deal with scripts or any coding. I have no idea how to create a merchant, nor how to add specific stuff in a chest. It seems to require scripting, which is far from easy to use. Of course this goes with the possibility to create and edit equipements and items (stats, level, etc) without having to deal with some unpacked files and typing in a txt.

I think the editor relies too much on scripting, it's basically impossible to do anything but mapping if you don't know how to use the scripts, and unfortunately we are not mediums. Simply creating a custom merchant or adding a companion gives me a headdache.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard