Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Crine Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
I have a copy of the EE to redeem from backing DOS2. What are the pros and cons to redeeming on either Steam or GoG? Is one version easier to update or more stable or anything like that?

journeyman
journeyman
Firstly it depends on your opinion of DRM, as Steam requires you to have a Steam Account and Steam client on your PC, whereas GoG's Galaxy client is optional, and you can download the game without needing a third party client.

I have not used GoG Galaxy properly, so I cannot comment on the quality of it's automatic patching service, but Steam's Automatic patching is very reliable (from my experience) and if you opt not to use the GOG Galaxy client, then you will have to keep track, download and apply your own patches.

Check http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504042 for discussions regarding the original D:OS.

stranger
stranger
If your internet goes down, or anything happens to your eithernet cord...You'll still be able to reinstall, and play it with gog, personally I always go with gog...

With Gog you can download/back it up from anywhere at any time, as you only need a connection once (To download it) and it can even be public as you're not mandated to install it online, like with steam.

Last edited by TZODun2K15; 28/10/15 12:32 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Long story short, GoG is how gaming was 10-15 years ago before online DRM came into force and getting it from GoG means that Valve do not have the power to own/remove/change/always online your game. (True GoG can go out of business, but at least you can backup your installers)

But Steam can be a nice one-click solution to installing, updating and cloud-saving as long as you don't mind being online.

C
Crine Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Wellzy4eva
getting it from GoG means that Valve do not have the power to own/remove/change/always online your game. (True GoG can go out of business, but at least you can backup your installers)

Has Valve ever actually done anything to remove or change people's games or is it just that they technically could?

I've backed d:os 2 and want it on GOG. I'm a bit disappointed in steam.
GOG galaxy do almost the same as steam client. But, the games are drm-free. The only thing to do, login on GOG, download and play, on every machine. And there are goodies on GOG, like background art, avatars and another small but nice stuff.

Last edited by ChavaiotH; 28/10/15 07:49 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by TZODun2K15
If your internet goes down, or anything happens to your eithernet cord...

Actually, our Steam game does not require Steam to be running. So if you have installed it in Steam, you don't even need to be online or have Steam running to start DOS(EE).

Tweeting @forktong
journeyman
journeyman
Yep, Steam is DRM-free too. It the publisher who decides what is DRM-free and whats not. The difference is that GOG only sells DRM-free games, while Steam sells both. I'd pick steam for convinience and connectivity. Though GOG hasn't let me down in D:OS in any way.

Last edited by Tiggerdyret; 28/10/15 12:21 PM.
C
Crine Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by ChavaiotH
I've backed d:os 2 and want it on GOG. I'm a bit disappointed in steam.
GOG galaxy do almost the same as steam client. But, the games are drm-free. The only thing to do, login on GOG, download and play, on every machine. And there are goodies on GOG, like background art, avatars and another small but nice stuff.

Does GoG have achievements like Steam? If using Steam version for achievements does Steam have to be running? Also I saw on GoG forum that people can't easily play multiplayer without making "direct connections" (whatever that means) so is it easier to play with others if using the Steam version? I plan to mainly play single player but might want to try the multiplayer a little.

Originally Posted by Crine
Does GoG have achievements like Steam? If using Steam version for achievements does Steam have to be running? Also I saw on GoG forum that people can't easily play multiplayer without making "direct connections" (whatever that means) so is it easier to play with others if using the Steam version? I plan to mainly play single player but might want to try the multiplayer a little.

Yes. GOG has achievements, GOG Galaxy must be running. I have Witcher 3 on GOG, and there are achievements.
Yes. It's easier to play multiplayer with steam. But, you can play cross steam-gog multiplayer via direct connect with the gog version. The lobby in the gog version is not working, yet.

Last edited by ChavaiotH; 28/10/15 12:38 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ChavaiotH

Yes. GOG has achievements, GOG Galaxy must be running. I have Witcher 3 on GOG, and there are achievements.
Yes. It's easier to play multiplayer with steam. But, you can play cross steam-gog multiplayer via direct connect with the gog version. The lobby in the gog version is not working, yet.

Not all games has achievements in GOG Galaxy, it depends whether developer decided to implement them. Divinity: OS (EE as well) doesn't have Galaxy achievements.

Originally Posted by Thiev
Not all games has achievements in GOG Galaxy, it depends whether developer decided to implement them. Divinity: OS (EE as well) doesn't have Galaxy achievements.

Didn't know. I have witcher 3 on gog and it has achievements.

Last edited by ChavaiotH; 28/10/15 01:31 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard