Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I just started a new game and realised that glass cannon is now incompatible with lone wolf AND does only give +4 recovery AP but still at 50% vitality cost. Now i'm wondering if that's not more of an downside than benefit, 4 AP is not that much in mid-late game anyway, and in a Tactician pass this might end up badly. What do you think?

old hand
old hand
It's a pretty heavy nerf, and unfortunate it doesn't scale, but it's probably about what needed to happen. It's not a no-brainer for ranged characters anymore, and probably should be given to one character, max. It might be still viable if you protect your character well, and best for a ranged character who stays way far away.

K
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
So i guess if you now go with it for a mage you should go with Speed instead of Con. To recover 12 AP (at Con 5) you need 9 speed (3.5 base + 9*0.5 speed bonus + 4 glass cannon). That way you gain initiative and movement, which might balance your 50% vitality drop.

Last edited by Knightshark; 28/10/15 08:10 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Knightshark
I just started a new game and realised that glass cannon is now incompatible with lone wolf AND does only give +4 recovery AP but still at 50% vitality cost. Now i'm wondering if that's not more of an downside than benefit, 4 AP is not that much in mid-late game anyway, and in a Tactician pass this might end up badly. What do you think?

Yeah I get the reduction of AP, but then the hit to vitality could have been less say 33%.

veteran
veteran
I've pretty much never used Glass Cannon, and even I think that 4 AP for a 50% health loss is a bit harsh. Maybe if it was -40% or -33% health it would be better.

They should have left the skills intact and let people (ab)use the system creatively. I even remember them saying something to the effect that they were happy to see people find ways to exploit their game systems while having fun.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Nerfs in general don't feel good, but I think it's a matter of a degree... if players came up with 5 different skill sets that they didn't think of that were all pretty effective, awesome! But if one unexpected set rose to sheer dominance and made other skills or playstyles irrelevant, well, that's sort of removing choice from the players: "I want to play a character this way, but it seems like it'll never be as effective as this other way... damn it."

I for one think the glass cannon nerf was a bit extreme, but some other things like the wine barrel combo (telekinesis + strength + looting a wine barrel from the Cyseal barracks = 500 damage for 2 AP, starting from level 1 or 2) was obviously game-breaking. It made every single other playstyle irrelevant by comparison. (For what it's worth, the devs said they'll patch this for the EE; haven't actually checked to see if that's true)

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by PewPewPew
like the wine barrel combo (telekinesis + strength + looting a wine barrel from the Cyseal barracks = 500 damage for 2 AP, starting from level 1 or 2)

What kind of characters benefit from telekinesis and how many points do you really need to put into it?

P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Crine
Originally Posted by PewPewPew
like the wine barrel combo (telekinesis + strength + looting a wine barrel from the Cyseal barracks = 500 damage for 2 AP, starting from level 1 or 2)

What kind of characters benefit from telekinesis and how many points do you really need to put into it?

In the EE, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile anymore. I reported it a few months ago and they said it'll be nerfed for the EE, but I haven't actually tested it.

Pre-EE, telekinesis on its own only affected the range at which you can move things. But strength determined how heavy an item you can pick up (even with telekinesis). Max out STR and dump points into telekinesis, and you were able to pick up 500-lb objects and drop them anywhere in range (15 meters?) for 500 damage (1 lb = 1 dmg) for 2 AP.

See here for more details: https://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/523890681416330994/

But basically, using that build, by level 5 I was able to kill every single person in Cyseal without taking any damage. So an example of something that should be nerfed...

Last edited by PewPewPew; 02/11/15 06:04 PM.
N
Nsk Offline
stranger
stranger
N
This "Enhanced" edition really become annoying. I stopped the original game to start this version but now I discover that what I enjoyed was removed, yes I enjoyed glass canon and I didn't feel it was cheat or abuse. If it was so cheated could they also delete easy mode ?
It is a really annoying habit, the same kind as Blizzard forbiding cheat on solo games.

Very disapointed by this new version but it's my fault I waited, and now I don't want to go back because I don't want to loose the storyline and cosmetics improvements but I don't know if I will keep interested in the game until the end.

( yes it may look overreacted but think about it this way, I don't plan to do more than one walkthrough, glass cannon really made the game more fun for me, and while waiting for the EE I planned a little my new build thinking glass cannon, I didn't check all the list change because I didn't expect this kind of things I was just waiting for improvements)

Last edited by Nsk; 09/12/15 03:56 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Is it viable? Yes, although I wouldn't take it on all party members. The save I play with a friend has cleric/tank, bairdotr w/ glass cannon, witchcraft / wand / summon wielding lady with glass cannon, and Jahan without.

We have to be slightly more mindful of positioning, but we haven't experienced any extreme levels of hardship as of yet (level 15ish on tactical).

Is it optimal? That's another question entirely.

old hand
old hand
Got it on Bairdotr, after playing with it for a while, still seems good to me, just not like "lol let me cast 5 spells this turn and cc everyone." To me, it's more fun when something doesn't trivialize the game. "Just don't use it," you might say, but I like Glass Cannon conceptually. I want to use it, and I'm glad I can now without making the game too easy. To each their own.

I think it's probably still a fairly optimal talent on a ranger that you keep far back, especially if you have a couple warriors and a lot of CC.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard