Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
I am wondering whether the Enhanced Edition became easier than the vanilla game. Has it? I know people playing consoles are not the types that love the kind of combat Divinity: Original Sin offers. That makes me think the EE was deliberately made easier for console players and this also had an effect on the PC version. This is my 2nd play-through and on Classic Mode, the game does feel easier than vanilla version.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Tactician mode feels like vanilla

M
OP Offline
M
Damn, these forums are empty... One person in my other thread said that many skills were nerfed, which made the game harder, but you say otherwise...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Littlebob86
Tactician mode feels like vanilla

That's very counter-intuitive, though, I think. Classic should feel like Vanilla, and Tactician Mode should be much harder.

stranger
stranger
I'm in classic. Some fights seem harder (Robot, controller may be bugged?) others easier. However, I'm not sure it is a fair comparison.

Back at release I was new to the game, and learning. Now I have a pretty good grasp on what to gear, spec, combine and how to use environmentals. It *should* be easier, that doesn't mean they nerfed the game. They did add higher challenge levels for people, so that's nice. I'll try them after I experiment with new things and bug hunt in classic wink.

By feel only, I would say health pools relative to damage output in classic, they seem lower. Things die in fewer hits. So I suspect I might agree when I try it that tactical is more like old vanilla that way. Mechanics though seem similar.

Some of the "difficulty" I consider artificial anyway, but it was in the first one. Many bosses or other hard fights open up with a brutal alpha strike, or one hard one-shot move. Once you eat it and see what it is (so one forced reload) it usually isn't hard to counter. So it feels hard, but the reload is forced. That is the same as original, and a further advantage now most of us know what to expect in these fights.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by MonarchX
I am wondering whether the Enhanced Edition became easier than the vanilla game. Has it? This is my 2nd play-through and on Classic Mode, the game does feel easier than vanilla version.

Fixed.

Personally, I first played it on the PC and now I'm playing on a console. It feels easier. BUT. I know where to get everything I need/want and know what works and what doesn't. The game has changed in various aspects, but just like the game has evolved, so have I in terms of D:OS. So it's hard to make a fair comparison, yes?

And let's keep the whole 'I know console players [..]' thing outside these types of discussions, m'kay? I'm a PC gamer, but from the moment I played this game, I instantly wondered how it'd be like sitting on the couch with a controller.

Safe to say, I like this game more as a couch-sitter. As I like the Baldur's Gate games more on tablets as well.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I haven't noticed a change in difficulty (I played/am playing both on PC). The tactician mode is distinctly *not* D:O classic, since it obviously adds more opponents.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'm actually finding Enhanced to be substantially harder than the old game's hard mode, though a large part of that might be figuring out the new mechanics. Enemy fights have been adjusted to have nastier spawns, though, and I used to rely heavily on blind (bugged) and made use of Leech (bugged). There're a loooot of bugs.

addict
addict
I don't find EE Tactician "harder" per se, but incredibly more frustrating.
Since ennemies, especially archers, received a huge buff and every single one of them seem to be stocked on CC arrows, we may spend 20 to 100% time of any fights on the ground waiting for it to just end. Since it's in the early part of the game, we don't have any serious counters to this yet. Not enough Body Building, not enough Willpower, no skills to prevent Knockdown, Stunned, or even that damned Crippled ( okay we do have Helping Hand and First Aid ... On a timer. )

This actually annoyed my teammate so much he doesn't want anything to do with EE anymore. We had only discovered Jake's Fate and would have been headed to Black Cove afterwards.

I'm all for harder difficulties and I realize it is hard to just program different levels of AI into a game. But it's not fun when you just can't play at all - ask any victim of a Rogue stunlock back in the old days of World of Warcraft. DOS revolves around Crowd Control but by Jove, don't prevent us from ever playing ! The second annoying form of difficulty is reduced chance to hit which actually puts a bigger emphasis on luck.
Getting the ennemies more healing potential is okay in my book. Getting them more debuffs like lessen armor, or lessen damage, is okay. Tweaking the resists to be more surprising or just give them additionnal resists, why not.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 04/11/15 06:01 AM.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'm playing on classic mode, and for me it feels substantially harder than the original's equivalent mode. For me there seems to be a bit of a skills gap between explorer and classic: explorer doesn't really encourage me to try out different tactics and to advance my characters thoughtfully, but classic is hard enough that at times I'm not really enjoying the game as much as I did. Part of it is the removal or undermining of certain skills, like leech, arrow-spray, jump and so on, but also the thing with dice-rolls (God, I hate dice-rolls at the best of times) which now seem to be really biased against me: it seems that archers only manage to hit their target around a third of the time, unless they're frozen or knocked over. Occasional misses I can understand, but when it's most of the time, it stops being fun. Er, anyway, I digress.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Hechicera
I'm in classic. Some fights seem harder (Robot, controller may be bugged?) others easier.

Controller worked fine for us in a coop game. What issue were you having with it?

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's easier in the beginning, but it gets more complex. The Black Cove got harder, but I used my brain and won after a few tries. I think it can be easy if your group is well-balanced. I have a knight(leader, fighter, Witcher), a Wizard (Pyro- and Geomancer) Bairdotir (Marksman and Air-magic) and Madora (fighter and healer) in my group and it gives me the chance for wide variety of tactics. But I need those. With Jahann in the group, I would get my butt kicked, I'm really sure.

The old game was way easier, but I'm an 200 hours -veteran, so I'm biased, but like I said my group is wellbalanced and 'Im still in Cyseal. If it gets harder from there, I will not complain^^.

Little tipp for everyone at the Black Cove: take some oil barrels, sneak into the area with the pirates, put them into the middle of the room, and then make them follow you. Use a fireball or an explosive arrow and your victory is almost certain.

Last edited by Zelon; 05/11/15 11:54 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard