Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Gyson, you don't believe that the NPC dialogue is annoying. Fine. That's an opinion and you are entitled to it.

But please stop telling other people that they are not allowed to have opinions that are different than yours, and if they do so, they are objectively wrong.

Stabbey, please point out where I actually said people aren't allowed to have an opinion. Because I'm pretty sure I said exactly the opposite. Until then, this is where I'm going to ask *you* to stop putting words in my mouth and (if you're going to criticize me) criticize the things I'm actually saying instead of some strawman attack.

Also, there's a big difference between presenting an opinion and presenting a load of B.S. as fact. Unfortunately this thread is full of the latter.

All your "actual data" stuff is completely and totally irrelevant to the actual experiences and opinions of other people, no matter how many paragraphs you post about it.

I'm sorry it's inconvenient for you, but that data is a whole lot more relevant to this discussion than the bogus claims people have been tossing out there as facts. At least I'm actually giving real data rather than presenting a warped perception of reality.

Here's a tip: I wouldn't have to counter every lie with a piece of data if people in this thread would begin using a little accuracy and honesty for a change. You're sick of my numbers? That's fine. I'm sick of the wild exaggerations which often don't even have a lick of truth to them. Looks like we're both sick of something.

Originally Posted by Gyson
By the way.. your "DID YOU HEAR THAT" video you linked above? Have you tried engaging the skeleton NPCs in a conversation and then moving on? I know, it sounds a lot crazier than just sitting there listening to them until the end of time, but it might just be the fix that works!

Do you seriously, honestly, deeply in your soul believe that having a literal THREE SECONDS between when the dialogue ends and when the loop begins again is perfectly fine?

I already suggested reporting specific examples that could use timing adjustments (rather than trying to change all of Cyseal or the entire game). The demon fight video shown earlier in this thread is a good example of where improvements could be made, as it's otherwise unavoidable.

The two skeletons you're referring to could be cleaned up as well.. but at the same time you could also not stand there idle for minutes on end since there's really zero reason for you to do that unless you're a masochist (or just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill).

Of the two, I'd prefer time was spent fixing the demon fight rather than the skeleton conversation, the latter being an easily avoidable issue just by not intentionally loitering there. You absolutely can't stand the noise but you can't be bothered to move your characters a short distance away? How about using some common sense so the developers can spend time fixing real problems instead of the ones you're choosing to create. That was my point.

veteran
veteran
I already suggested reporting specific examples that could use timing adjustments (rather than trying to change all of Cyseal or the entire game). The demon fight video shown earlier in this thread is a good example of where improvements could be made, as it's otherwise unavoidable.

The two skeletons you're referring to could be cleaned up as well.. but at the same time you could also not stand there idle for minutes on end since there's really zero reason for you to do that unless you're a masochist (or just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill).

Of the two, I'd prefer time was spent fixing the demon fight rather than the skeleton conversation, the latter being an easily avoidable issue just by not intentionally loitering there. You absolutely can't stand the noise but you can't be bothered to move your characters a short distance away? How about using some common sense so the developers can spend time fixing real problems instead of the ones you're choosing to create. That was my point.

You think that it's a greater waste of Larian's time to individually find and tweak each instance of overly repetitive dialogue instead of doing a global fix (of say, "one minute of silence between finishing and restarting dialogue") which would solve all the problems at the same time?

veteran
veteran
You think that it's a greater waste of Larian's time to individually find and tweak each instance of overly repetitive dialogue instead of doing a global fix (of say, "one minute of silence between finishing and restarting dialogue") which would solve all the problems at the same time?

I think your "global fix" is akin to using a chainsaw to file a fingernail. It's overkill, and will likely change far more for the worse than for the better. Of course, you've already made it clear you can't stand the chatter in the Cyseal marketplace, so overkill is probably exactly what you want.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I also find the looping ambient vendor cries annoying. Two suggestions on making them "immersive" but not annoying:

Either
1) a slider to adjust time between loops.
2) separate volume adjustment for ambient voices. Right now they seem to be linked general voice volume such that lowering the volume would also lower the volume for voice dialogues (not desirable).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TruthBeTold
The entire problem with most of the complaints in the threads on this subject is the way they're presented: exaggerated claims, misinformation, dishonest statements.. need I go on?

Maybe they are exaggerated, so what?

So what? Are you serious? What good is providing feedback if it's not providing accurate information?

Your earlier statement of 35-40 seconds for the "pepper" legionary was exaggerated too, wasn't it? You even specified it was on multiple instances, implying more than once. And lest we forget, 35-40 seconds is a rather precisely formulated time frame. So how did you measure it? Did you actually sit there and count it out - one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, ...? Or did you just take a wild guess? Funny how subjective perception works, huh? Unless of course you have a video of said legionary backing your numbers in which case I'd beg you to post it. Your last one isn't exactly representative because it's obvious the NPC was walking in circles due to pathfinding issues which delayed her chatter.

Few things here.

1) I measured it using a time piece and time stamps. It's a bit more accurate than just giving a biased guess that intentionally favors a personal opinion - the latter being something many participants in this thread should stop doing if this is to be a useful discussion.

2) When I said 35-40 seconds (in response to your claim of 10 seconds), my statement was: "Because having timed multiple instances of it I'm finding that particular line is played anywhere between every 35-40 seconds." In other words, I was providing the time between the start of her dialogue, and the point where she started the dialogue again. The precise time in the two examples I provided is 39 seconds, for the record. Does that clarify things for you?

3) Then you turned around and started timing the dead air between her statements instead, so (changing my method to match yours) I revised my timing to "~30 seconds" (it's actually 32 seconds, I was being generous and rounding down for you).

4) Now you want to call her confused walking pattern a pathing problem, which it probably is, and yet more often than not that's the route she takes and the frequency of ~30 second intervals outnumber the ~20 second intervals (23 seconds, actually) you posted. I even said "Seems to happen every ~30 seconds, more often than it occurs every ~20 seconds.", giving credence to both claims. Are you going to suggest she never does that pathing in your game? Are we playing two different versions of D:OS:EE?

[quote=Gyson]
By the way.. your "DID YOU HEAR THAT" video you linked above? Have you tried engaging the skeleton NPCs in a conversation and then moving on? I know, it sounds a lot crazier than just sitting there listening to them until the end of time, but it might just be the fix that works!

And now you're being ridiculous. To get it straight, this video was for the sole purpose of demonstration. You asked us to provide the worst possible example we could find, and now that I did you're answering with a snarky remark? I'm not usually one to make use of Internet slang but - LOL!

Yes, you are absolutely right that I asked for people to post examples. And when you posted the example of the Demon fight I totally agreed that it had problems. And the dialogue timing in your skeleton-duo definitely has room for improvement. It would be nice, however, if you could agree that it's largely an avoidable issue that's really only exaggerated by the act of trying to film it.

It's like saying "look, this hot stove surface burns me when I leave my hand on it.. see?". That is technically true, but outside of trying to show it on a video your hand really doesn't need to linger there, and there are probably better places the developers can intervene.

stranger
stranger
So the above debating about this issue needs to just go to PMs so that Larian can deal with this obvious issue. In every instance of looping dialogue in town you can see that is far too frequent. This was patched in the original version of the game and should be fixed here.

Lowering the volume slider is not an option because it lowers all dialogue volume not just the looping stuff in town. If we had options, then this issue would be moot.

The fact that the issue is back seems more like an oversight really.

Larian, please either add an option to drop the frequency of flavor looping dialogue audio or give us a separate slider for flavor dialogue volume in options.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MokahTGS
In every instance of looping dialogue in town you can see that is far too frequent.

Perhaps post video examples?

This was patched in the original version of the game and should be fixed here.

The fact that the issue is back seems more like an oversight really.

(sigh) It's not "back". If you found the audio in D:OS to be acceptable, you'll be happy to know there is actually less background audio chatter happening in D:OS:EE.

The "fixes" from the original version were carried through to the enhanced edition, they weren't accidentally left out like people keep suggesting. On top of that, the developers stopped the instances of NPCs in the Cyseal marketplace talking over one another, which results in far less noise as there are no longer multiple audio clips playing at the same time in that location. *On top of that*, audio clips are now muted when you're exchanging dialogue with another NPC, a feature that wasn't in the original D:OS, which results in (you guessed it) a further reduction of chatter.

Everyone keeps pretending the chatter is noisier than D:OS when in reality it's actually quieter.

Larian, please either add an option to drop the frequency of flavor looping dialogue audio or give us a separate slider for flavor dialogue volume in options.

More options are always nice. I would prefer either of the above options rather than going the impossible route of trying to find one dialogue frequency that pleased everyone, as I find the current audio to be (for the most part) anywhere from fine to nearly perfect.

G
addict
addict
G
EE has the voice added, so there is a LOT.
EE has the wands aded, so everyone uses them a LOT.

For DOS2 there are plans for more text. Well, there is a similar game, who promised a lot of texts. Shadowrun: Honk Kong, its recently available. In fact it is no longer a game, but a novel.

Dear Larians, better do not always means MOAR.

Last edited by gGeo; 06/11/15 09:21 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gGeo
EE has the voice added, so there is a LOT.

Yes, the Enhanced Edition has additional voiced dialogue but those additions are in conversation exchanges (the type where you click on an NPC to talk to them). The background chatter (the kind that appears over NPCs heads when you're not interacting with them) was already voiced in the original D:OS.

Chalking it up to grass is always greener syndrome.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I wouldn't mind the short 20 sec delays between the banters if the NPCs had more things to say or the banters were much shorter. As it stands know hearing the same things 2-3 times per minute FOR ME is mind wrecking. They only get "muted" while I speak to someone but they get "unmuted" right after the speaker NPCs voiceover ends. The barter screen doesn't do anything... But at least I can TRULY mute (no echoes) everybody in the options with the enhanced edition. :(

veteran
veteran
I thought that the voice-overs in the vanilla version were too frequent and repetitive, but I was hoping the EE would improve on that more. They didn't so I'm going to repeat it in hopes that maybe they'll actually listen for D:OS 2, or maybe even take out the voiced NPC banter entirely.

I thought that the voice-overs in the vanilla version were too frequent and repetitive, but I was hoping the EE would improve on that more. They didn't so I'm going to repeat it in hopes that maybe they'll actually listen for D:OS 2, or maybe even take out the voiced NPC banter entirely.

veteran
veteran

Completely silent NPCs? Well that's one way to make a game world feel dead. Is D:OS2 taking place in a library setting? silence

I notice you have a my-way-or-nothing approach to the problem there. That's the type of response that earns the "just thumb down your volume knob whenever you're not doing anything important" advice. rolleyes

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hey guys, do you remember the first Divinity game? You know, the one where the NPCs were silent when you didn't talk to them? Man, that game felt really dead and bleak. :D

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TreNich
Hey guys, do you remember the first Divinity game? You know, the one where the NPCs were silent when you didn't talk to them? Man, that game felt really dead and bleak. laugh

"Divine Divinity"? It also had 2D graphics - doesn't mean I want to go back in that direction, though.

veteran
veteran
Gyson, we get it... you like obnoxious stuff... for some reason. It's okay, don't feel bad about your abnormality. We're all D:OS fans here.

That however does not mean we all share that abnormality.

veteran
veteran
I like it and I want them to keep it that way.

WOOS
G
stranger
stranger
G
Anyone who can't understand should go try and buy something next to the drill sergeant guy in Cyseal. I simply do not turn on my speakers anymore, so if your intent was to make the game's NPC's feel completely dead you have succeeded.

Otherwise the only feedback I have to offer is that this "enhanced" edition of the game makes me wonder what was the original game like?

- the screen/camera jumps around causing endless tactical screw ups
- the NPC spam
- the gear/attitude/ownership/companion bug feels like no one bothered to play test it
- talents that don't work as advertised - hyperopia for instance
- sneak in combat is nerfed so hard it might as well not exist, certainly any gear with +sneak feels like a total troll
- multiplayer issues, HP not staying synced, players not seeing lobbies, requiring restarts

I am just about done with Cyseal and have yet to get accustomed to the interface, especially the inventory management. In single player mode its somewhat tolerable but in coop mode its down right obnoxious. How come I can't see the items for sale at the same time as my partner? How come I can't see the inventories, gear and stats of my partners characters?? What were you thinking???

Game feels like a late Beta... I recently swore off EA for publishing unfinished games and never even patching them completely. Please don't be those guys. If I had bought the original version of the game I would probably completely hate you guys for re-releasing the game, calling it Enhanced, and then leaving in bugs that had already been resolved in the original on top of basically abandoning the original.

As it is, I wait 1 year after a game's release thanks to the state of this industry, you tricked me with this Enhanced Edition, shame on me. I might just have to start to wait until developers announce a complete end to a project's support. At least by then I should be able to have a complete game.

PS Suggesting people use community MODS to fix things and get a quality game makes me rage. I paid you for the game, you fix it, or I won't be buying your games in the future.

W
stranger
stranger
W
@last poster:
I would normally report a person with such a curious name, most of Gyson's posts I've seen previously were rather reasonable, even against the majority, like the character traits.

But after reading the first page here...

Anyone defending NPCs in D:OS should take a joyride to Yuthul Gor...
Or be stationed in an asylum with mentally deranged people speaking unthinkable things nonstop 24\7.

I am dead serious.

If it's too much to ask for in an enhanced edition to have at least one of the following:
-NPC chat volume(no, not the one that would make your bloody Enhanced voiceover void)
-NPC chat disable\variable delay\delay of at least 1 minute
-NPC not repeating themselves after they've spoken all their lines until you reload the zone

...I'm uncertain what to expect out of D:OS 2.

P.S.:
I've just had a random idea... just random, you know, nothing insightful.

NPCs are silent. They wave hands, they look alive and active, doing their stuff. Then... you walk within... 5 ingame meter range of them and suddenly you hear them talk, see subtitles. You get to hear all of their lines in a proper order if necessary, after that they shut up... unless you talk to them and ask them "what was that about", at which point they repeat their deal.
This... makes it interesting to walk around, check NPCs, gives you control on when and what you want to recapture, makes the game fluid as you walk by NPCs and hear their business. All the while being subtle and unintrusive.

But... the award-winning legendary RPG reincarnation can not offer more than...:
"Walloftextwalloftextwalloftextwalloftextwalloftext" in every meter of a populated area. Nonstop. More than once a minute.
You will change hell to Yuthul Gor. You will butcher NPCs, or at least search for ways to "legitimately" eliminate NPCs. You will cringe every time you revisit an area or replay a game.

And you will argue with yourself throughout your game, struggling to get game-changing stats, while having no effect from your choices whatsoever(unless maybe a handful of big quests).

Award-winning RPG experience right here. If that stands for "most r****ded RPG ideas of the decade". Top nominee. And people blamed Fallout 4 for having like zero roleplaying experience...

Last edited by Wirxaw; 15/01/16 02:32 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Any news on this topic ? Picked up the game a week ago and this issue is absolutely horrible (otherwise great game). Every time I need to stay put for a minute or so (quest, merchant interaction, whatever), I can either just turn off the speakers entirely or get crazy.

horsey

Just found out there is a mod for this !

http://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/74/?

horsey horsey horsey

Last edited by ParkerLewis; 18/12/16 10:22 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard