Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Making this combo incompatible was silly. If you wanted to argue that anything was overpowered and needed a nerf to achieve better balance (because we know it's the balance that made the original a success) it was glass cannon alone, not glass cannon + lone wolf.
Lone wolves as it was already were at a huge disadvantage compared to parties of 4. This includes:
-less hp total
-less ap total (max, per turn and starting)
-less skill points total
-less attribute points both gained throughout the game and in general
-less talents
Keeping that in mind, was it necessary to further nerf Lone Wolves by removing the option of giving them more AP at a hefty cost of HP?
Today begins the operation #bringbackglasswolves

Last edited by Scrubwave; 10/11/15 04:10 AM.
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
There will be blood for the Wolves, mark my words.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, as OP as Glass Cannon and Lone Wolf was, I think making them incompatible was a bit lazy. Don't even know if LW and current GC would be so OP together with its bonus reduced to 4 AP. Could see about compatabilizing them if the mod tools allow it, but if talents are as unmodifiable as before, might be hard to fix it.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Make it compatible and fix Blind.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I agree. Even pre-nerf Lone Wolf and Glass Cannon together were only somewhat close to the power of two separate characters. I can live with the nerf Glass Cannon got but Lone Wolf is now kinda useless because it in no way makes up for a lost companion anymore. Lone Wolf now is the equivalent of getting half a character while losing a full one. Bad trade basically.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
#bringbackourwolves

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Nothing yet, huh?
How about some tries to role-play a devil's advocate and try to come up with raisins why this would be bad for the game.

Last edited by Scrubwave; 13/11/15 05:22 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Now that Glass Cannon has received a massive nerf, making this combination incompatible might not have been an attempt to make LW chars worse, but to prevent unexperienced players from getting their party wiped because of the low total HP (the same way that GC requires lvl 5).

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
May be, but punishing everyone for what new players MIGHT do seems like even a worse idea.

old hand
old hand
Good news! You can remove the incompatability yourself. Download Norbyte's unpacker (http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572322#Post572322, third post down), unpack Game.pak in your game folder, go to the Public/Shared/Stats/Generated/Data folder and open the "requirements.txt" with Notepad++ (or anything that makes it readable) and delete "!TALENT_LoneWolf" from the "Raistlin" talent (what Glass Cannon is known as in the code, a funny reference). Also delete the Raistlin incompatability from Lone Wolf. Then put this text file in the same folder structure (Public/Shared/Stats/Generated/Data, with those exact names) into your game directory, and it should work.

Or you could wait for my mod (might post it tonight), which will also make a number of other changes to stats, making various buffs and nerfs to abilities and some lower talent requirements (GC and LW incompatability removed, for one)

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Good news, brother, may the steel be with you!

C
CK1 Offline
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Nothing yet, huh?
How about some tries to role-play a devil's advocate and try to come up with raisins why this would be bad for the game.

After I finish my honor run, I'll work more on my lone wolf tactician run to get a more detailed feel on this.

That said, Enhanced Edition is a bit different since you get WAY more vitality and there are plenty of vitality scaling items -- including health pots. Some skills are RIDICULOUSLY powerful so getting those extra attribute points that early on are pretty significant. Look at how strong willpower and bodybuilding is with regards to resisting spells.

One super strong character is better than 2 weak ones and it seems easier to make that happen with the re-work. Anyways, that's just my take on it. I'll see what happens when I get a chance to try it out.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
How do you measure the strength of a character when you say that "One super strong character is better than 2 weak ones"?

addict
addict
Well they still get +1ap per level which is 2ap at the beginning, then 3 then 4. Essentially you can raise your skill schools quicker than one character meaning you get to wield more skills sooner than one standard character.
The bonus HP enables you to take a beating, too.

Now since you'll have to put those points in Body Building and Willpower ASAP especially in Tactician, because ( in the scenario of 2 lone wolves ) you can't afford to have your guys on the ground, one could argue that having more Ability points per level is a meh advantage. Let's say you're investing for the future. In the meantime though, your offensive abilities aren't growing... Making for a really hard early game.
aaah Trade-offs and decisions !

BUT, as soon as you reach level ... 4 ( I think? ), when you start getting 3 ability points per level, your LW character is starting to loose some ground compared to 2 classic chars who will gain +2 each, +4 total. Around level 10, your LW character will start lagging behind with +4ap/level vs +6.

Last edited by Dr Koin; 14/11/15 08:30 AM.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Good news! You can remove the incompatability yourself. Download Norbyte's unpacker (http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572322#Post572322, third post down), unpack Game.pak in your game folder, go to the Public/Shared/Stats/Generated/Data folder and open the "requirements.txt" with Notepad++ (or anything that makes it readable) and delete "!TALENT_LoneWolf" from the "Raistlin" talent (what Glass Cannon is known as in the code, a funny reference). Also delete the Raistlin incompatability from Lone Wolf. Then put this text file in the same folder structure (Public/Shared/Stats/Generated/Data, with those exact names) into your game directory, and it should work.

Or you could wait for my mod (might post it tonight), which will also make a number of other changes to stats, making various buffs and nerfs to abilities and some lower talent requirements (GC and LW incompatability removed, for one)

Got you- http://steamcommunity.com/app/373420/discussions/0/490125737463800576/

M
stranger
stranger
M
Does anybody have additional advice on getting this working?

I unpacked main.pak (the folders listed did not exist in game.pak) and edited the requirements text. I've tried placing the folder all over the place with no luck. And I was unable to get the unpacker to do any repacking...

Thanks

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Maxwell00
Does anybody have additional advice on getting this working?

I unpacked main.pak (the folders listed did not exist in game.pak) and edited the requirements text. I've tried placing the folder all over the place with no luck. And I was unable to get the unpacker to do any repacking...

Thanks

Just happened upon the thread, so I haven't read it all, but skimming it, I think someone forgot to tell you that you need to remove (or just rename) the main.pak from the /data/ directory, too.

Otherwise, D:OS:EE does not read your edited files, but instead simply reads the main.pak-file from your /data/ directory. By removing it/renaming it (after unpacking it, editing it, and so on, of course) , you force the game to read it from the folders instead.

At least that's how editing textures/textures.pak works.

Last edited by Luckmann; 31/12/15 02:56 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard