Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*

3. I've created a new module with dependencies on Main and Shared (and datapacks Main and Shared) to mod the main campaign. But the possibilities to make changes seem to be quite limited: I can't save changes on existing characters and objects of the main campaign due to missing developer rights. So attaching new char scripts, for example, is not possible. I don't know another way to do that; maybe adding new scripts to my Mod via Ressource Manager, catching the script ID and adding an entry to the lsb/lsx files in Mods\Main\Globals\[Level]\Characters\ ? And adding an entry to the characters.lsb file in Data\Public\Shared\RootTemplates\ when I want to add scripts to all characters with a certain template?

Adding and saving new characters and objects is possible.

Currently I have no idea how to take full advantage from the Editor at modding the main campaign.

Well that's lame developer right's still throttles modding of main, but I think the method of manually editing lsbs is a workaround, if tedious. I've added treasure tables to existing characters that way, so scripts should work. Not entirely sure if modifying the root template will apply the script to all instances of the template ingame though. Also not sure if those changes will still apply in .pak form instead of replacing them in the game folder, but I think they should.

A
addict
addict
A
Attaching scripts to RootTemplates works as well! It's a bit different from adding treasure tables, I think.
A short description of what I did:

1) Created char script in my mod module with dependencies on Main and Shared; added it via Ressource Manager to my module.
2) Took the script ID and added an entry to the animals.lsb file (RootTemplates).
3) Copied the file into Data/Public/MyMod/RootTemplates/

Loaded my module in the editor and all rats - in that case - had the new script added.

But would be fine if it was easier.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
enthusiast
enthusiast
Do we have a (semi)official explanation regarding said 'developer rights'? What's the point?
I mean, in previous games, ok, they had a publisher, a DRM in place, i can see why that could potentially be an issue, what with outsourcing, third party tools, standing contracts, et al..

But why here? And for crying out loud, why on utterly NON-sensical things such as changing a character? Or objects come to that?

Pride, honour and purity
A
addict
addict
A
Some more things refering to scripts:

There are no char and item scripts in the script editor (despite having selected both packages of Shared and Main at creating the module); has anyone else noticed this? Only scripts manually copied into the Data/Public/Main/Shared/Scripts or /Main/Scripts folders do appear and can be edited; all scripts of Main and Shared are visible in the Ressource Manager but can't be edited and can't be copied to my Module! When I tried to copy them they appeared as ressources in my Module but couldn't be edited. And one of these script ressources can't be deleted from the ressources of my module now; when I try the editor crashes.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
As mentioned in another thread, I'm unable to find the .xlsm stats generating files anywhere in the Steam verison.

In the GOG version they are in Data\Editor\Templates. The whole folder is missing in the Steam version actually.

A
addict
addict
A
They must be extracted first (from the Editor.pak I suppose). Don't know why they weren't added to the Templates folder.

addict
addict
SO god, what is the point of releasing another frustrating editor, larian ? I still need a freaking PhD just to basicly get the things going, or what ? Not that I really care, mind you, the fallout4 and grim dawn editor are just around the corner, and bannerlord might show its modding power before the end of the year, soooo.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Support
Support

The editor that was released is the editor that exists. What is the point of denying everyone the opportunity to even try it, because some can not figure out how to use it?

addict
addict
If you are adressing me, I am not denying anybody anything. If people want to waste hours figuring basic stuff, like I (and others, 40 mods on steam workshop is a proof of failure imho) did with the first editor, good on them. Just warning that the first release was a huge TIME WASTING mess, and it seems this release is heading the very same way, considering the bug/issues reports.
And yes, the very same editor the dev used to make the game, we know. However, modders and general public are not the devs, right ?

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
A
addict
addict
A
The only serious problem I have with the Editor is that it's not the editor devs used but, currently, a limited version (as already reported). Although the crashes aren't an indication for much testing/polishing I (and, I guess, most of the modders who are determined) can work with them as long as they don't corrupt or delete data or working progresses (yet they are reported for Exit, loading Main module (what I had once today), changing module, terrain creation (under certain, but common, circumstances) or, what is a bit more serious, for trying to delete a ressource copied (not really, s. above) from Main to my module).

Support
Support
Don't know why they weren't added to the Templates folder.

It was an accidental omission, which should be fixed now.

A
addict
addict
A
Just came in with a patch. Thank you smile

Support
Support

I didn't want to derail SniperHF's Necromancer's Crusade topic, but has anyone else had problems generating an AI grid with certain floor tiles?

Originally Posted by SniperHF
Half the tiles don't actually have AI which is shockingly bizarre. I placed a whole bunch of stonefloor tiles only to find out they don't paint even with walk on checked....

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My assumption was they never had the ability in the first place Raze. The ones that work are all related to PoorHouse (and a couple bridge ones), and those are all used in that immaculate compound in D:OS which you walk on.

T
addict
addict
T
There's a bug with the type checking of the Divide() operation on FLOAT3 in itemScripts (and presumably charScripts):

Code
INIT

ITEM:__Me

EVENTS

EVENT DivideBug
VARS
    FLOAT3:_Direction
ON
    OnItemEvent(__Me,"TestDivide")
ACTIONS
    GetForwardDirection(__Me,_Direction)
    Divide(_Direction,3.0)

This will result in the compiler error "FLOAT3 is written as {number;number;number}", but the second argument does in fact have to be a scalar. Multiply() is handled correctly.

On a related note: the line numbers for errors in item/charScripts are often off by several lines (the error is always shown on a higher line than where the error is occurring). I haven't discovered yet which kind of statements get skipped by the line counting.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Tinkerer

On a related note: the line numbers for errors in item/charScripts are often off by several lines (the error is always shown on a higher line than where the error is occurring). I haven't discovered yet which kind of statements get skipped by the line counting.

I've found it: it's empty lines that are skipped. Putting a tab or space on them is sufficient for them to get counted.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Small bug for the pile:
When you rename walls, the name does not change on the list until you save and quit the editor and reload it.

old hand
old hand
Larger bug for the pile: When I create an lsb with the resource manager in my mod, it appears in Public/mymod/Content/[PAK] NAMEOFLSB/NAMEOFLSB.lsb, and then the editor crashes every time I open the mod (or at least after adding a new root template to it, I can't remember). If I move the lsb to Public/mymod/RootTemplates, it doesn't crash anymore.

Either way, another issue is I can't edit the Root Templates I've made. The root templates tab just kind of flashes, and then nothing happens.

journeyman
journeyman
Attaching scripts to RootTemplates works as well! It's a bit different from adding treasure tables, I think.

1) Created char script in my mod module with dependencies on Main and Shared; added it via Ressource Manager to my module.
2) Took the script ID and added an entry to the animals.lsb file (RootTemplates).

Loaded my module in the editor and all rats - in that case - had the new script added.

The other method for custom roots could be:

1. Find the root in the Create and View templates tool
2. Right click on it and select Create new from selected
3. https://monosnap.com/file/UYzYOe5AXB1Xye3S4jnlvm0astRGVj

--Select your mod in drop down
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb)
--Click Add
--Select that lsb in the drop down
--Enter the name for your root
(next time you just select lsb, don't need to create it)

The created root will be the full copy of the root from Shared, but you will be able to attach any scripts and change any parametres you want.

Still requires manual work, as you need to replace roots of your instances. This can be done in sidebar.

https://monosnap.com/file/YhkFkqcI8f2A78FKc2JVVg1FmycnSj

You select your new created root in the list and this replace most parametrs to your root params

Last edited by Cadmus88; 14/04/16 09:17 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Cadmus88

The other method for custom roots could be:

1. Find the root in the Create and View templates tool
2. Right click on it and select Create new from selected
3. https://monosnap.com/file/UYzYOe5AXB1Xye3S4jnlvm0astRGVj

--Select your mod in drop down
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb)
--Click Add
--Select that lsb in the drop down
--Enter the name for your root
(next time you just select lsb, don't need to create it)

The created root will be the full copy of the root from Shared, but you will be able to attach any scripts and change any parametres you want.

Still requires manual work, as you need to replace roots of your instances. This can be done in sidebar.

https://monosnap.com/file/YhkFkqcI8f2A78FKc2JVVg1FmycnSj

You select your new created root in the list and this replace most parametrs to your root params

I tried to use that lsb maker thing in the root templates but didn't have too much luck. Will have to try again. That said, I wouldn't want to have to replace the root template of every instance of a common character or object with a slightly modified root template when editing the file directly would be a lot faster. And for root templates that there's only 1 or 2 instances of (e.g., bosses), it'd just be easier to edit the actual instance of the character/object with right click and copy to mod. A "Copy to Mod" function for root templates that would let you edit the actual existing root template would be very useful. The fact that this seems to be able to be done outside the editor but not in it is weird.

Another issue I find rather annoying: reload stats doesn't appear to do anything. Maybe it has a specific use, but it seems to me like it should just reload the text files and update all item and character stats if they've been modified. Is there a specific way to use this tool or an order or something?

Maybe this has been fixed in the patch today? I seem to be updating the EE editor and original editor. Edit: nevermind, probably just steam stuff.

Last edited by Baardvark; 14/04/16 07:04 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard