Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
OK, so what's the deal with the Blue Sugar Water law? What real life situation is it trying to emulate? This one confused me. I don't get what the situation is all about. What's the "bad vs. good" with this one?

-Thanks

Support
Support

It is a question of intellectual property, what patent laws are meant to deal with. It isn't a good vs bad issue; it is bad if companies have no protection from others copying their product and it is bad if they have so much protection that it creates monopolies and limits innovation. The in-game question is basically where that trade-off is made in a particular case, where a company has been very profitable and built up a market and brand recognition, but the product itself isn't particularly complicated or unique.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Raze

It is a question of intellectual property, what patent laws are meant to deal with. It isn't a good vs bad issue; it is bad if companies have no protection from others copying their product and it is bad if they have so much protection that it creates monopolies and limits innovation. The in-game question is basically where that trade-off is made in a particular case, where a company has been very profitable and built up a market and brand recognition, but the product itself isn't particularly complicated or unique.

That makes more sense. I guess that's why Falstaff was putting so much emphasis that his sugar water was specifically "blue" sugar water. He didn't want to create a monopoly on all sugar water, just blue sugar water as his intellectual property.

I can get behind that. Thanks to your help, I've decided to vote "yes" at the expense of being hated by three out of the five races.

Support
Support

Actually, the dwarves did want to maintain a monopoly, by blocking 'cheap knockoffs'; the colour of the imp's apple blue sea-green variant was less important than its price.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard