Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jharnak Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
I played Dragon Commander and I loved it, although there are areas for improvement, I was very happy with the final product. I read about how stuff was cut out/modified so resources can be dedicated to Original Sin (which is another excellent game). So it got me thinking, now that we're inching closer and closer to Original Sin 2's release, will there ever be a chance to revisit Dragon Commander afterwards? The RTS added a whole new dimension to the lore as did the dragon mode, and it would be most unfortunate to not see it again.

Last edited by Jharnak; 27/07/16 03:09 PM.
Support
Support

Yes, eventually there could be a Dragon Commander 2. There is another RPG planned after D:OS 2, and presumably the next project after that will be decided on by the time D:OS 2 is released (or at least before support starts winding down and resources transferred to the other game).

J
Jharnak Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
That's wonderful news... its great to hear that Dragon Commander could make a comeback!

Thank you.

Last edited by Jharnak; 28/07/16 07:52 AM.
Originally Posted by Jharnak
I played Dragon Commander and I loved it, although there are areas for improvement, I was very happy with the final product. I read about how stuff was cut out/modified so resources can be dedicated to Original Sin (which is another excellent game). So it got me thinking, now that we're inching closer and closer to Original Sin 2's release, will there ever be a chance to revisit Dragon Commander afterwards? The RTS added a whole new dimension to the lore as did the dragon mode, and it would be most unfortunate to not see it again.

As far as I know, Dragon Commander was "killed"/funds moved to develop DOS. So, now that there are apparently enough funds, why not just an *expansion* that adds the features that could not be implemented? Of course a Dragon Commander 2 would also be possible, but it is common that games like civilization receive 1 or 2 expansions. So why not just add deeper tactical combat, quests etc. through an expansion?

Support
Support

A sequel would probably be more straightforward than an expansion. The game engine was updated for D:OS, significant changes made for the EE and additional significant changes made for D:OS 2.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Instead, Divine and Dragon could appear in Divinity 3 smile. Even with turn based combat that would be interesting game to play.
It takes completely different set of skills to create cool RTS mechanics than to create an RPG so I honestly wouldn't expect much in this regard from Larian frown.
RTS its a game that have to evolve and be supported for a veeery long time to become interesting (for SC2 it took like... 6 years to be really up to the point?). Most of the games become dead by then and most companies don't have any idea how to maintain their community. Such community is also completely different than RPG community.

veteran
veteran
Given the end of Divinity 2, A theoretical Dragon Commander 2 seems like it could be set right after that game.

A playable Dragon in a turn-based game, or one with such a small map size as D:OS would be an underwhelming and less interesting use of a playable dragon.

Speaking of engine changes, Dragon Commander 2 would probably also be best served by further modifying the engine to allow for bridges to allow for movement of land vehicles across and ships below. The lack of bridges in DC limited the value of ships quite a bit.

But really, it's highly unlikely we'll see a Dragon Commander 2.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard