Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Well I've obtained the dragon armour and had it modified by the dwarf smith: I wish I hadn't bothered, the "new improved" version has worse stats than the original rusty old thing that Sir Patrick wanted rid of!

I guess these things happen, but it seems I've ended up with a pretty ropey lump of armour. I'll fire up the item editor but I'll have to look around to see what seems to be a reasonable set of stats...

Edit: I didn't realise that the stats weren't "rolled" until I hovered over it in my inventory which made reloading a bit easier. I don't really like doing that but when I'm supposed to end up with a really legendary item, it's annoying if it turns out to be pants.

I did that with the Holy Sword too, and probably ended up with something a bit over-powered, but it seemed to make my experience with Jopsephina a lot less painful. For me, at least... laugh

Last edited by vometia; 19/08/16 11:51 AM.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

You can buy back the original version of the dragon armour, as well. You'd just need the upgraded armour (depending on what you get reloading) to get the helm, and wear the full set once to complete that quest.

I reloaded for the dragon armour pieces, etc, which helped make the game too easy near the end, given that I was also a completionist and the game tends to get easier, anyway. I reloaded for the holy sword (and was also tempted to go for the amulet, which I tried a few times), and then switched to another unique one handed sword not very much later, shortly after getting to the wastelands.

Items placed directly in your inventory don't get stats until you mouse over them. To save potential candidates and keep reloading, make sure you move the item in the inventory, or the newly generated stats will not actually be set.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh, I hadn't realised that thing about moving them to make sure the stats were fixed: just as well I never wanted to restore any of my "kinda, maybe" saves!

It seems a lot of stuff I've tripped over got fixed in later games. Though I'm really glad I've finally played DD seven years after becoming acquainted with the series, even if it has been a bit unpredictable at times.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

With IIRC the ring that Verlat can give you in Verdistis (if you heal him in Aleroth), I got a really good ring the first or second try, saved, reloaded a couple times noting the average was worse than what I had, so reloaded the save with the 'identified' ring, only to find that the stats were different. I had to reload quite a bit to get another ring comparable to the first.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
D:

I'll bear that in mind for when I decide to do a third play-through! I guess I can delete a bunch of my "kinda, maybe" permanent saves on the basis that they're less permanent than I thought.

For all my complaining about other stuff, I think I did pretty well with Verlat's ring both times I've played: decent stats and I think both had four or five charm slots.

Now I'm at the point where I'm looking for stuff to do in "the nice bit" of Rivellon so I can put off completing the council quest for a while longer. I've now resorted to completing the sewers, and then it'll be scouring the game guides for anything else I may have missed... I dunno, even the tree in the Dark Forest has given up trying to kill me and is now just feeling sorry for itself.

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Just a spot of random curiosity, and as usual because I couldn't find anything on Google (at least not yet), is there a (semi-)official map of Rivellon through the series? I know it might not make much sense anyway since they're set in different eras, but I'm imagining that the Orobas Fjords and Broken Valley are in the mountains to the west of Aleroth in the original DD map, and sea beyond them (at least in the NE corner of the map) where Sentinel Island lurks. I've no idea where Cyseal and Luculla might be, which I'd assumed were on their own island, or maybe they're just a bit provincial; especially if the forest in D:OS is the same one in DD (I'm not sure if it is or not.

I'm imagining the same landmass as various characters like Jake and Thelyron get around a bit (Jake being spotted in Cyseal in D:OS, Aleroth in both DD and ED, Thelyron in Cyseal, Aleroth and so on) although I concede they did have a naval fleet from early on and Zeppelins later! As well as handy teleporters. But anyway we do know that Aleroth isn't too far a journey down the fjords from Broken Valley and lies in a more open landscape; I'm wondering how much of that is designed with careful attention to world-building and how much just kinda happened...

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

The only Rivellon maps are the in-game ones, at least so far. The Lore book being written for D:OS 2 may get into the geography and its evolution.
There were a couple map areas dropped from Divinity 2. I'd guess some attention was paid to the previous map, but 'magic' was an easy excuse to do things differently (especially since non-flat landscapes needed to be introduced), in addition to natural changes (swamp encroaching on the farmlands in Beyond Divinity).

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'd like to see that! The autistic bit of me likes to see all the background detail that makes up a game.

I decided to use my conjecture to stick the names on the Divinity map here. I think Broken Valley and the Fjords are a fairly safe bet, but Luculla is more risky as we're not even certain it's on the same landmass, but if it is, it seems like a sensible place for both it and the Dark Forest (which I've decided could probably be the same general place as DD's Dark Forest).

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Another question... there seems to be a bit of a sound glitch in DD which involves brief but annoyingly frequent blips of very loud white noise. Is there a known fix? Again, I looked it up but drew a blank: the only suggestion I could find was to mute the system sounds thing in the mixer settings but that made no difference.

I seem to have now comprehensively hijacked this topic. I would split it into "Vom's random DD issues" but there doesn't seem to be a topic split option like there is in IPB. Still, better than me having a sudden flurry of random posts in a dozen different topics, I suppose...

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

The easiest fix for this issue is to set the game to run in Win 9x compatibility mode (or otherwise getting it to run on a single CPU core: static noise?).

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thanks very much! That's one of those minor irritations that was becoming less minor the longer it went on. Good to know it has a cure. smile

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
A minor random annoyance, I can't close Marcus' "Missing Delivery" quest: any ideas? I've successfully done everything else in that quest line, and the completion of Missing Delivery seems to be a pre-requisite to do The Burning Cart, so I'm guessing it's just glitched (it's not the only one, the "fetch a potion for..." quest is also stuck now that I've delivered the two available potions as I didn't use the "drop -1 glitch" to duplicate them). I still have the letters from both Pedro and Victorio in my inventory, but neither Marcus, Lt Robin nor Trevor has anything else to say. I'm guessing I'll just have to deal with it!

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

When you found the cart, did you talk to both drivers? If you talk to Fred but not Luther, that quest log entry may not be cleared.
In either case, once you have the letter from Victorio, you should be able to talk to Marcus, which I think you must have already done, in order to get the letter from Pedro (he doesn't turn hostile until that part of the quest is advanced).
Lt Robin should have a dialogue option after you get Pedro's letter.

By design, only 2 of the 3 people in the quarantine area can be given a cure. Other than cheating to duplicate a potion, you can also Pickpocket one back to re-use (level 2 required) or kill one of the cured NPCs so they drop the cure potion.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Yeah, I've spoken to all the characters in question a couple of times... except for both of the now expired cart drivers. So I guess I'll need to live with it! I'm just being obsessive about clearing my quest log before I move on to the next stage of the game because I tend to be like that.

How come you manage to know every part of the game in the most intricate detail, no matter how obscure? I mean by way of comparison, I poured very many hundreds of hours into playing Oblivion and the same again when modding it but I don't have anything like that degree of knowledge about it. :o

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by vometia
How come you manage to know every part of the game in the most intricate detail, no matter how obscure?
So, you missed my edits in the last post? evil
I played the game at the original release, and have followed the Larian forum almost continuously since then. If I don't remember something, a quick search online usually helps, or I check Kiya's website, etc.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Well you say that, but knowing where to search and what to search for are all part of it!

I'm so used to playing Bethesda's games that I still keep wanting to reach for a console so I can type "player.additem" or "setstage": although their CLI was, er, somewhat unripe, it was extremely handy. Well, still is. At least it gave me the knowledge to do a bit of modding of Ego Draconis though, even though it was limited to altering the outfits, hairdos and stuff.

Kiya's site is one that comes up: that and Gamebanshee have already been incredibly useful. I'll probably spend more time visiting them to make sure I hoover up the remaining quests before I visit the wastelands...

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
And I'm finished! It was a lot easier this time, although I did, er, not so much cheat as "maximise my opportunities", mostly reloading to make sure I got weapons with a good freeze stat.

Josephina continued to be the biggest headache, though a much diminished one this time through: a combination of shadow potion, the aforementioned weapons and a twirl attack were enough to deal with her. I had used Flash Attack to sometimes good effect in my previous game but couldn't get it to work with my warrior build, curiously.

So I think I've done everything, including the slight shenanigans to get to the Larian Prison. laugh I understand that the pyramids can be thrown into otherwise inaccessible areas to explore them too, so I may do that now just to finish off.

Maybe I'll continue Beyond Divinity next, though it's not so much "that voice" that's putting me off as the excess of awful grey-and-red landscapes: at least only the northern bit of Luculla was like that in D:OS but there's far too much of it in BD, I think.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

Yay. rpg003

The DK's voice gets better as the game progresses, and he talks less. There is lava in the first level of act 1 and specific areas in acts 2 and 3. The indoor areas of act 1 and 4 are brown and grey (sometimes swapping the colours for the floors and walls), with some red/rust highlights. There are some green areas, though, and other colours.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It wasn't a bad ending, actually. I didn't know what to expect, so I was wondering if it might've been a bit of an Ego Draconis! I'm glad it wasn't. In fact I'd say it was one of the better endings I've had out of a game (up there with, say, Bioshocks 1 & 2 in that I felt that the story had reached a proper and satisfying conclusion, although not Bioshock Infinite's added ending; and then there's the worst, I think Mass Effect 3 will retain the undisputed claim to that crown for some time to come).

I don't actually mind the voice acting in BD, to be honest! Okay, the Death Knight is a bit silly but in a fairly cartoony sort of way; to look at it another way, actually I enjoyed Two Worlds, which has inadvertently become the yardstick for bad voice acting (though actually I think Skyrim's is worse: although professionally done, it's unengaging and charmless).

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

Yes, most of the bad voice acting in BD is concentrated on the first level. After that, generally I thought it was fine.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard