Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#583996 11/08/16 03:01 PM
Beloved Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was wondering if there is a list of already known premade origins/companions for D:OS2.
As far as I know, the Red Prince is the most famous till now, stimulating the fantasy of the players which already created some fanarts and fanfictions around the net.
Is there a thread/post by Larian where the possible origins/companions are specifically presented? I can't find it.
As of today, thanks to the last update, we got to know:

Ifan ben-Mezd - Human Male Rogue - Nobody escapes the Lone Wolves unscathed and your freedom was won at a terrible cost. You swore you were done, but there's one last wrong you need to right.

Lohse - Human Female Mystic - You were never normal, mind a playground for demons, body prone to violent episodes. The Divine himself couldn't save you. Can you save yourself?

The Red Prince - Lizard Male Noble - Unique among your own kind, you are a prince exiled from your Empire. This land is hostile, its inhabitants inferior, but no one will stop your march to vindication.

Sebille - Elf Female Rogue - Slave no more, you still bear scars your master gave you and wield the skills he taught you: femme fatale, spy, assassin. Skills you plan to use against all masters.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we know other origins/characters? Anything about the Undeads?
I'm really thrilled, let me say that all these personalities already look extremely promising and deep, I'm eager to try/get to know them all!
One last question: if I recruit some of them in my group, will they interact with each others in the same manner of party-based RPGs à la Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity?

journeyman
journeyman
Well, unless they were cut (which I doubt), we also know from when they first showed off the game:
  • Human heir betrayed by their ambitious sibling. Default sex female IIRC.
  • Dwarf slave looking to join a revolt or some such. Default sex male IIRC.

I don't remember their names, let alone whether they were deemed anything but placeholders, though. (The human rogue and the Red Prince were included back then as well.)

And of course, there's Chris Avellone's Undead Origin, which they're keeping mum about for now.

I'd be totally fine with this number, but of course, I'd ideally like some more - specifically two or more in total per race.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
N
old hand
old hand
N
Currently there are 5 known backgrounds.

4 of them are letting you play as the companion characters (you can't edit them currently and likely ever)

And the last one is "Generic"

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Neonivek
(you can't edit them currently and likely ever)

I very much doubt that. But if so, that would be a broken Kickstarter promise I'd be seriously pissed about.

Proud Probatanthrope

Tor.com: Boob Plate Armor Would Kill You (cf. "ball plate armor" - Just think about it.)
addict
addict
Originally Posted by twincast

I very much doubt that. But if so, that would be a broken Kickstarter promise I'd be seriously pissed about.

maybe due to sex issues (he / she in the (voiced) text)

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
N
old hand
old hand
N

I have no idea why so few people seem to know this given that the official kickstarter videos and the PCgamer video corroborate with this.

Mind you the reason you cannot currently edit the characters for the 4 "actual" origins available is because they are the 4 companions.

veteran
veteran
Well, unless they were cut (which I doubt), we also know from when they first showed off the game:
  • Human heir betrayed by their ambitious sibling. Default sex female IIRC.
  • Dwarf slave looking to join a revolt or some such. Default sex male IIRC.

I don't remember their names, let alone whether they were deemed anything but placeholders, though. (The human rogue and the Red Prince were included back then as well.)

The island shown in the kickstarter was cut, so it follows that the human heir story was also cut. Probably for the best as what would the heir background have to do after leaving that second island?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Probably for the best as what would the heir background have to do after leaving that second island?

It is almost like you would need to develop a story or something for the heir background in this narrative game.

Given I've seen games that spun a deep story about characters whose origin is "Farmer" without ever dropping that detail...

The ONLY thing you know about that background is that it, eventually, gets a mansion if you play that far. There can be an infinite number of details such as perhaps a dark secret within the family, rival families, maybe they are running out of money, dark curses, vampires, anything; all that could pop up as you go along or delve deeper into the plot.

I personally still like the Heir origin and hope it makes a return.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The island shown in the kickstarter was cut, so it follows that the human heir story was also cut. Probably for the best as what would the heir background have to do after leaving that second island?

Well, would be a bummer as I found - and still find - it the most interesting conceptually (Avellondead aside).

Proud Probatanthrope

N
old hand
old hand
N
Here are the current "Aspirations" for the Generic Background. You can select ONLY two.
-Soldier
-Outlaw*
-Scholar
-Noble
-Barbarian*
-Hero*
-Jester
-Mystic
-Rogue
-Villain
*Unique Tags for Generic... so far*

Pre-gen Character Aspirations
-Ifan: Soldier, Rogue, Villain
-Lohse: Mystic, Jester
-Red Prince: Noble, Scholar
-Sebille: Rogue, Scholar

---

Additional Info:

Only generic origins get the Male/Female and Race tags.

Pregen character origins instead get a tag based on which one you pick.

---

Here is my senses activating. Likely what occurs is when the game is trying to grab either a Gender or Race tag, it can also grab "Red Prince" for dialog.

Last edited by Neonivek; 26/08/16 08:38 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
While Pregen characters don't have Race and Male/Female tags shown in the character creation screen, they are able to use them in dialogues later in the game. Here's an example with Sebille:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHoY1fmp20A&t=39s

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard