Next Thread
Print Thread
#585475 14/09/16 10:24 PM
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
So, I go to a tent and successfully steal some stuff in sneak mode, but then when I get out of sneak mode some nearest npc comes from like 20 meters away and tells me to strip for inspection! The guy was nowhere near me and couldn't have seen me do it!

Anyway, I think stealing is working weird and npcs should run after me only if they catch me red handed in the red zone and certainly not *after* I stole something but was still near the crime zone.

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
There's a tutorial tip that explains it. Even if nobody catches you stealing, at some point people become suspicious at all the missing items and will ask to inspect you. If you notice in the dialog the people don't outright accuse you, they only ask to check your inventory to see if you're the thief or not.

A
stranger
stranger
A
This is working as intended, as they mentioned in their streams and the tutorial tip suggests. It was far too easy to steal in D:OS1 and now you can't just go in, loot everything, then walk away clean. It doesn't make sense to be able to do that anyway. If you're stealing things and people noticed that things are missing then they will want to know who stole them. It's possible to talk your way out of it or you can simply resist the bag search. It's a simple fix though isn't it? Don't hang around the crime scene after you've committed the crime? Can't become a very good criminal by doing that.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Well, it's sounds ok on paper but in reality it looks rather annoying when frequent.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah I robbed that tent too and the elve wasn't even in range to see the crimescene but after I went out of the tent she accused me. I persuaded her to trust me and everything was fine. They should alter the distance of detection maybe. The function itself is really good. I stole everything in DOS1 so that is more realistic.

Last edited by FadeToBlack; 15/09/16 08:48 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
They should alter the distance of detection maybe.

A timer (randomized to a certain degree) would be better I think. Otherwise item theft would never be detected when NPCs are out of range or it would require to save information about the location of each item where it's taken from to trigger a reaction as soon as the NPC gets in range and notices the theft.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
A
stranger
stranger
A
The system is horribly implemented in DOS2. In Skyrim the "system" actually works. The problem DOS2 has is that the developers justify implementing a horrible game mechanic just because of DOS1.

Well, they missed the point: - gamers play for fun, not an emulation of real life restrictions. A game developer should not judge or give moral story's, and that's exaclty whats happening in DOS2.

I would even go so far to say: - why to they even implement "stealing" if this is all they can come up with?! The system is put mildly pure garbage.

To give a sort of comparison: Stealing in DOS2 is like paying a prostitute for sex and never get any.

Last edited by Avalonica; 28/09/17 01:59 PM. Reason: Idiots without a fucking clue
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Theft in this game is annoying. It's annoying because once you learn how to circumvent inspections (most of the time unless they decide to notice the stolen goods you might have from elsewhere), it's just extra busywork.

All you have to do most of the time is steal everything you want and then either:

1. Warp the person who just stole everything away to another location and then allow your group to be inspected. "Oh, looks like I was mistaken, my bad". Sometimes they'll notice other stolen items, but this is rarer, and usually persuasion or a bribe will work.

2. Instead of warping the thief, drop everything you just stole onto the ground. Hell, it can even be right in front of the person you just stole from. As long as their stolen goods aren't in your inventory, they don't care.

Originally Posted by Avalonica
To give a sort of comparison: Stealing in DOS2 is like paying a prostitute for sex and never get any.

Not quite. In this game you can almost always keep what you took, you just have to jump through hoops to do it. Also, if they actually had brothels in this game, and the prostitutes refused sex after taking payment, I'm sure there would be a way to get what you're after despite that. Hell, you would probably be able to put the prostitute into a barrel and then put that barrel into your inventory for a nice "picnic" in the woods.

Last edited by Sanctuary; 29/09/17 04:03 AM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
When you understand a few key points, the system because trivial to exploit.

1) The owner, upon noticing that items are missing, will begin looking around and approach a random party member in sight.

2) The owner will not immediately detect that items have been stolen. There is a period of time where you can get out as fast as possible. This begins a) when the item goes missing in the case of regular theft and b) when the pickpocket window closes.

3) The owner will search only the bag of the person he accuses. Stolen items located in other bags will not be considered.

4) The owner will search only for his own items. Stolen items belonging to other characters will not be considered.

5) The owner will only search a "decoy" party member once. And afterwards, he will very shortly give his items up for lost and return to his original position.

So basically, you get in, steal the items, have your other party members nearby, stop sneaking, and run far away around some corner. Upon realizing he has been robbed, the owner will approach a decoy immediately, as they are in range and the actual thief is not. Allow the search, he will find nothing, and he'll simply turn around a few times in a futile attempt to find the real thief, before finally giving up.

In my opinion, this system of making you jump through hoops and cooperative thievery makes for a much more interesting system.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard