Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Looking through all the origin characters and their class options has me wondering if the modelers used to work in the comic book industry. Some of the poses, especially the females, look painful and possibly scoliotic.

The way the hips jut out and twist the back reminds me of the controversy over Spider-Woman #1 a few years back.

(http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-anatomically-impossible-that-spider-woman-1-1628838463)

K
stranger
stranger
K
Agreed, thank you for saying something. I also "love" how heavy plate mail breaches on the male human turn into little leaves and twigs on my female elf. Not.

I get trying to have a separate "aesthetic" for each of the characters, but this is just a little stupid. Fine, make the light armor look like that, but please don't do it to the plate.

For what it's worth, the male elf isn't any better. They look ridiculously anorexic and everything I put on them turns into little forest bits.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Originally Posted by Philomorph
Looking through all the origin characters and their class options has me wondering if the modelers used to work in the comic book industry. Some of the poses, especially the females, look painful and possibly scoliotic.

The way the hips jut out and twist the back reminds me of the controversy over Spider-Woman #1 a few years back.

(http://gizmodo.com/heres-how-anatomically-impossible-that-spider-woman-1-1628838463)

No.
This sort of nonsense belongs to Tumblr not here.
Larian has chosen their aesthetics and yes they look outlandish but they always have, have you played Dragon Commander?

Artistic vission need not be hurt because someones hurt feelings.

Also, seriously? Complaining about the fact that each race has their own aesthetic?
Maybe heavy elven armor is not plate armor because elves dont use plate? Their entire theme is that their armor looks organic, why would their heavy armor be plate?
I dont see you complaining about lizard Cowls not beeing cowns but huge turbans.

We are talking about a game with Teleporting crocodiles and you complain that the poses of fantasy characters is exagrated, when the two races where this is the case (lizard and elf) have extremley exagrated body structure with overly long limbs wiht the lizards not even having human like legs.

Last edited by Sordak; 17/09/16 07:09 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sordak
No.
Larian has chosen their aesthetics and yes they look outlandish but they always have, have you played Dragon Commander?

I don't think they indicated that their feelings were hurt.

I do agree that elven armour really doesn't tend to be much more than chainmail bikinis from what I've seen. (Though I expect this issue isn't just limited to female elves?) I definitely prefer that armour is the same for all races (just morphed for body shape) with some armours being be designed with a particular race in mind but not only for them.

I also found the elven underwear to be hilarious. It's like they glued a bunch of leaves to their private parts. How do they make these clothes, exactly?

I'd also prefer that the characters to have natural poses.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Originally Posted by Ayvah
No.

I don't think they indicated that their feelings were hurt.

I do agree that elven armour really doesn't tend to be much more than chainmail bikinis from what I've seen. (Though I expect this issue isn't just limited to female elves?) I definitely prefer that armour is the same for all races (just morphed for body shape) with some armours being be designed with a particular race in mind but not only for them.

I also found the elven underwear to be hilarious. It's like they glued a bunch of leaves to their private parts. How do they make these clothes, exactly?

I'd also prefer that the characters to have natural poses.

"Chainmail bikini" Yay buzzwords. Its neither chainmail not a bikini such its not a chainmail bikini and even if it was a chainmail bikini if thats the aesthetic vision of Larian then its good.

Why would you prefer armor to be universal?
Thats just less diversity in the character designs. Its just less interresting. Also since all the races have such divergent body shapes how would that even work? How do you put human boots on a lizard?
How do you fit a dwarf with a human platemail?

And what are natural poses? how are the poses not natural? I assume you are talking about the female lizards and elves since those are the only exagrated poses i can think of and they only appear in the character creation menu: Fantasy races, the poses look that way because they look good on certain designs.

journeyman
journeyman
I like the fact that armor is no universal and has a unique flavor for each race...

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I really like how the armour changes too. Gives every race a unique as opposed to just the heavily armed Matryoshka family you get in most RPGs.

[img]https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/140/images/3725-1-1381259829.jpg[/img]

Make any sense? Nope. But then neither does much else in the game. Or in any other rpg for that matter.

Last edited by Bhazor; 17/09/16 09:08 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
"I find really annoying. I would have preferred a Mana system."

Its a Joke guys, just making a first DO2 mem =) out of this statement.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586382#Post586382

B
B
Regardless of armour, I do agree about the poses.
Choose female warrior and flip through the poses, and it's pretty clear they're almost entirely that classic arch-back-pop-butt.
I do think it's not as bad as a lot of other games, but I think Larian can do a bit more to improve this.

Personally I think the elves are fine, both males and females seem to not be aware of clothes, nothing sexist about it. Lizards are just all weird, some "sexy" and some not.

Honestly the only ones I saw an issue with were the human female poses. ##

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Beyond
Regardless of armour, I do agree about the poses.
Choose female warrior and flip through the poses, and it's pretty clear they're almost entirely that classic arch-back-pop-butt.
I do think it's not as bad as a lot of other games, but I think Larian can do a bit more to improve this.

Personally I think the elves are fine, both males and females seem to not be aware of clothes, nothing sexist about it. Lizards are just all weird, some "sexy" and some not.

Honestly the only ones I saw an issue with were the human female poses. ##

I mostly agree, but I have to say, the only one that really irks me is the default pose for the human female inquisitor.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Philomorph

Look up more than just that image relating to spiderman and you'll see that male spiderman adopts that pose to. It's not to pop her butt, it's the "look at me I'm like a spider" pose that they chose to use. Does it make the butt pop? Sure. Was it their intention? Not really.

Regardless, I do agree the poses are a bit out there. Some of them don't rightly make sense from a combat perspective. However I don't see it as a way to make them more sexy, it's mostly just a fantasy trope at this point. In game I've never seen Lohse or Sebille actually don any of those, they move about regularly and cast regularly.

addict
addict
"Chainmail bikini" Yay buzzwords. Its neither chainmail not a bikini such its not a chainmail bikini and even if it was a chainmail bikini if thats the aesthetic vision of Larian then its good.

It's not about the literal chainmail bikini and this is not simply a buzzword. Just because the trope name uses the word bikini, it also doesn't mean it's all about sexism -- the chainmail bikini is a defined trope.

Look at the illustration on the trope page. It's a pretty good representation of the areas that are visually protected when an elf puts on armour in D:OS2.

D:OS2 elf in scale mail.

The problem is that it's impractical and immersion breaking. If you're going to go to the effort of wearing armour, you'll probably want to try protecting your midriff. I don't know why it's so important for the elves to always try so hard at being sexy.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Funny, I don't remember all that garbage when Spiderman was doing all of his neckbreaking poses.
What's wrong, equality not in your dictionary? Then how about "hypocrisy"?

B
apprentice
apprentice
B

The problem is that it's impractical and immersion breaking.

Yet 3 ton teleporting crocodiles and talking fire slugs are totally realistic.

Last edited by Bhazor; 17/09/16 09:54 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Funny, I don't remember all that garbage when Spiderman was doing all of his neckbreaking poses.

For those of us who don't pay attention to the Spiderman comics, can we keep this about D:OS2?

For the record, I'm pretty sure the male elves in D:OS2 are about as ridiculous as the females, but I haven't looked into this.

journeyman
journeyman
Last time I checked this was a fantasy RPG. What a stupid complaint to make about the pose of a female when there are things like magic and mechanical golems.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Scrubwave

For those of us who don't pay attention to the Spiderman comics, can we keep this about D:OS2?

Tough, since op started with talking about nontroversy that was Spider-woman's pose.
Isn't bioware making any "progressive" rpg where everything is politically correct?

Last edited by Scrubwave; 17/09/16 09:58 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Bhazor
Yet 3 ton teleporting crocodiles and talking fire slugs are totally realistic.

More realistic than wearing a bit of armour over your boobs and hoping that no one will try to stab you in the stomach?

Yes.

B
B
Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit
Last time I checked this was a fantasy RPG. What a stupid complaint to make about the pose of a female when there are things like magic and mechanical golems.

This is completely irrelevant. So because it's fantasy it's fine? is that what you're going with? Funny how people who make that argument usually don't care one bit if the same issues arise in the real-world.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Beyond
So because it's fantasy it's fine? is that what you're going with?

Yes.
Also if the same thing happened in real life you'd better not say anything or you'd be slut shaming.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard