Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
It's like every single enemy has 2 overshields that I have to whittle down before I can even damage them, and having my two-hander and mage both attack the same person is pointless because they both have to wear down different meters before they can do damage.

I prefer the system from D:OS1 where Armor just cut down on damage received, and enemies had elemental resistances and saving throws smirk

Thoughts?

apprentice
apprentice
I like it. The enemies have to get through your armour too and it rewards clever target selection. Sending your rogues after their mages, sending your mages after their fighters and so on.

OP Offline
I'll play around with it some more. It could be enjoyable.

journeyman
journeyman
I like it.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
OP Offline
So should I give my rogues Magic Armor even though they're gonna be within melee distance? And give my mages normal Armor?

L
stranger
stranger
L
I really like it

veteran
veteran
I find really annoying. I would have preferred a Mana system.

addict
addict
Its more predictable than a "saving dice system" ala D&D which is needed for pvp/arena/esports

Last edited by 4verse; 17/09/16 08:14 PM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I like it a lot on the whole. Gives a bit more tactical nuance on who you attack with who and it is hugely satisfying to kill a giant armoured knight with just a couple wand blasts. I'd also say it makes sense in game with that flimsy mage in magic robes being helpless against crossbows but able to shrug off titanic death spells.

But the system needs to be carefully balanced in the final game. Especially any armour regen spells. One point of armour completely blocking status effects could easily be exploited like Comeback Kid in the first game was.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
I find really annoying. I would have preferred a Mana system.

How does mana have anything to do with armor?

veteran
veteran
That toolbar would have been more useful.

apprentice
apprentice
That goes both ways, my guys also have two overshields, as you call them, by now hehe
I actually liked having both a physical armour bar and a magical one visible. The rouge, if correctly positioned, deals horrible amounts of damange anyway and seems to bypass armour (or is crits dealing so much damage?) that I haven't considered armour a problem. Having magical shield on the roughe though is neccessary, since he needs to be able to cross areas that might stun him otherwise.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
addict
addict
I also don't like this from what I've experienced so far. One big problem is that all characters are extremely vulnerable to effects unless you mix and match armours -- as a result you end up having characters with mage pants and a breastplate.

You're either completely immune to statuses or completely vulnerable. Once an enemy is vulnerable, it's easy to stun-lock them with something like rain & lightning.

It's becoming even more tempting to have a party full of mages so that I can more quickly destroy magic armour and apply the stun-locks.

Last edited by Ayvah; 17/09/16 09:47 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
I like it so far, and it could be interesting if you go into a fight with someone with large amounts of one type but not the other. Another item that I'm sure will be watched closely in balancing, but a positive change to me so far.

I do think status effect resistance will be the key element on if your armor is down, still having quality resist as that really would make non-mage classes a pain, though I didn't seem to have any issues on my first playthrough.

“War must be while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend…” - Faramir
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Personnaly love it ! It balances the game really good.

In DOS 1 , a really powerful mage was enough to destroy entire armies, with chances to CC.

Here, playing coop with a friend who has a warrior and an archer, we say to each other "I'll take that one, you take that one". I focus people with no or few magic armor to freeze or stun them while he attacks those with high magic armor.

I like this, it gives more strategy to the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Angelus Errare

In DOS 1 , a really powerful mage was enough to destroy entire armies, with chances to CC.

And I loved it grin

But I agree, the meters add more stratagy to the game.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I agree that the armors are an improvement over the original, but I think there's further room for improvement. For starters, there are very limited ways to regenerate them during a fight (fortify and ice armor as well as certain consumables, atleast the ones I found...)

On top of that, i does feel a bit too polarized. I would like to see it work like a spectrum, with 100% armor left giving enemies a 0% chance to cc, 50% gave a 50% etc.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Not a bad idea the % system but relies too much on chance. Maybe some steps like you can only have a chance to CC the ennemy when he's below 50% armor ?

If it works like you said, that would mean that a 99% armor left boss would have 1% chance to be CC and if you get that 1% the fight is so much easier...

I think the way it is is good but yeah, it could have some more ways to add armor or magic armor

veteran
veteran
Compared to have 100% chance to CC if they lack one of the 2 armor types. I don't mind a little chance, damage are rolls too after all, and CC is too powerful still now.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Yeah but it was the fact in DOS1 too ... Maybe it shouldn't be 100% chance to CC when armor is down ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard