Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
journeyman
journeyman
With the mechanical bugs and other problems... this is the game breaker for some people? Strange.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
A
stranger
stranger
A
Poses seem fine to me, am I missing something?

Also the racial armor... Also seems fine to me. Lol, I'm actually surprised people are complaining about this kind of stuff.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kingcrowley
With the mechanical bugs and other problems... this is the game breaker for some people? Strange.

I thought the Early Access period was for players to voice all their concerns. I didn't realize only some were allowed. Strange.

old hand
old hand
Are there lizard boobies though?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by virumor
Are there lizard boobies though?

I am pleased to report that there are not.

old hand
old hand

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Ayvah
It's just the jarring contrast. You give heavy armour to an elf and it transforms into a bikini.

It bothers me more that the same armour would fit a slight elf, a burly human, a short dwarf and an entirely differently-shaped lizard. It's not like IRL I can buy size 10 clothes and fit into them, after all.

So if they'd have to be altered for fitting both size and anatomy they may as well be altered for the character type's aesthetic preference too. There's a magic, invisible armourer and tailor shop that follows your team around to provide this special service free of charge. :p

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
Originally Posted by Beyond
Regardless of armour, I do agree about the poses.
Choose female warrior and flip through the poses, and it's pretty clear they're almost entirely that classic arch-back-pop-butt.
I do think it's not as bad as a lot of other games, but I think Larian can do a bit more to improve this.

Personally I think the elves are fine, both males and females seem to not be aware of clothes, nothing sexist about it. Lizards are just all weird, some "sexy" and some not.

Honestly the only ones I saw an issue with were the human female poses. ##

1. Whats wrong with these poses. Ive yet to found an explanation for it.
What is wrong with sex appeal in an RPG? especialy when it its only the pose in character creation read: where your character is posing. there is no context to it.
Originally Posted by Sordak
"Chainmail bikini" Yay buzzwords. Its neither chainmail not a bikini such its not a chainmail bikini and even if it was a chainmail bikini if thats the aesthetic vision of Larian then its good.

It's not about the literal chainmail bikini and this is not simply a buzzword. Just because the trope name uses the word bikini, it also doesn't mean it's all about sexism -- the chainmail bikini is a defined trope.

Look at the illustration on the trope page. It's a pretty good representation of the areas that are visually protected when an elf puts on armour in D:OS2.

D:OS2 elf in scale mail.

The problem is that it's impractical and immersion breaking. If you're going to go to the effort of wearing armour, you'll probably want to try protecting your midriff. I don't know why it's so important for the elves to always try so hard at being sexy.

Its an elf, elves quite clearly arent as technologically advanced as humans are in that setting, if that breaks your immersion then you need to get more entrenched into the world Larian has created, not think of everything as Tolkien.

and as for the "chainmail bikini trope" how about you look up the trope called "Tropes are not bad"
There is nothing wrong with using tropes.
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
Funny, I don't remember all that garbage when Spiderman was doing all of his neckbreaking poses.

For those of us who don't pay attention to the Spiderman comics, can we keep this about D:OS2?

Tough, since op started with talking about nontroversy that was Spider-woman's pose.
Isn't bioware making any "progressive" rpg where everything is politically correct?

Yes they are also terrible as a result.
I played Dragon Age Inquisition thinking id get a cool fantasy RPG, instead i got someone explain to me what "Transsexual" means in Klingon.
Originally Posted by Bhazor
Yet 3 ton teleporting crocodiles and talking fire slugs are totally realistic.

More realistic than wearing a bit of armour over your boobs and hoping that no one will try to stab you in the stomach?

Yes.

No?
In truth realistic armor does not equal practical armor at all.
Armor has been exordinarily gaudi in quite a few instances in real life and we are talking about a fantasy universe here.

Realism is not your concern at all and it is evident from your posts. You simply want to remove something because it is sexy just like all of you people coming from Tumblr trying to instill your prudish ideas on other people.

In fact i dont even know why i sitll argue with you after you have defended the censorship of Larians Artists on Steam.
Is this the 90s again? No sexy stuff allowed in vidya games?

EDIT: and of course the deflection. You screech about random tropes you screech about unrealistic armor for women (ignoring the fact that the males of the same race have the EXACT same armor designs showing the exact same ammount of skin) and then you say others call you an SJW are irrational.
No, it is you people who shove identity politics into video games that are the true danger to creativity.

And you do it blantalty and open for everyone to see.
If you get triggered by beeing called an SJW how about you stop shoving your believes on everyhting you touch.

Last edited by Sordak; 18/09/16 07:28 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
People can voice whatever they like and i can find whatever i like strange as well.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
addict
addict
and as for the "chainmail bikini trope" how about you look up the trope called "Tropes are not bad"
There is nothing wrong with using tropes.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with using tropes. I did say that this a bad trope. (I should clarify that and say it's generally a bad trope.)

Is this the 90s again? No sexy stuff allowed in vidya games?

I played the Witcher 3. I never complained about seeing boobs. I never complained about the sex scenes. This has nothing to do with being prudish.

EDIT: and of course the deflection. You screech about random tropes you screech about unrealistic armor for women (ignoring the fact that the males of the same race have the EXACT same armor designs showing the exact same ammount of skin) and then you say others call you an SJW are irrational.

I ignored the fact that the male elves also wear sexy clothes? Maybe you should start by actually reading my posts, because I certainly acknowledged this on several occasions, and I have not (yet) accused Larian of being sexist in D:OS2.

But I do feel it's tasteless and immersion-breaking. Either let elves wear scale mail or don't. You don't need any advanced technology to wear clothes. Anyway, it seems we now have two threads covering this issue. I'd rather not have this conversation in two places.

Returning to the main subject of this thread, I figured I'd take a moment to look at what the fuss was about in regards to the human inquisitor woman. Her body is almost twisted 180 degrees. As a person with average flexibility, I am physically unable to twist my body far enough to mimic that pose. I agree with the OP. It's pretty silly and unrealistic, especially considering she's wearing armour, not spandex.

B
B
[quote=Beyond]Regardless of armour, I do agree about the poses.
Choose female warrior and flip through the poses, and it's pretty clear they're almost entirely that classic arch-back-pop-butt.
I do think it's not as bad as a lot of other games, but I think Larian can do a bit more to improve this.

Personally I think the elves are fine, both males and females seem to not be aware of clothes, nothing sexist about it. Lizards are just all weird, some "sexy" and some not.

Honestly the only ones I saw an issue with were the human female poses. ##

1. Whats wrong with these poses. Ive yet to found an explanation for it.
What is wrong with sex appeal in an RPG? especialy when it its only the pose in character creation read: where your character is posing. there is no context to it.

Which is exactly what's wrong, IMO. I prefer seeing characters in heroic poses, or poses relevant to their profession, not sticking their butt out for no reason.

I honestly try to stop discussing this because clearly it's getting nowhere.
I'll leave some counter arguments though, as it's pretty fun treading water!

- "It's always been like this, who are you to change it" is the stupidest argument ever. Humans have always not-used computers, who are we to change that? Until a recent point, white people have always had slaves, who are we to change that? Women weren't allowed to vote, who are we to change that? Should I continue?... Equality struggle is constant, it's been happening since forever and it will probably keep going on for a very long time.

- "It's fantasy, they can do whatever they like" while true, it doesn't change this argument at all. Yeah they can do whatever they want (just as in MGS Snake is naked because "she uses the sun to whatever"), but it doesn't mean it's not an issue. It's a fantasy world which REAL ACTUALLY NON-FANTASY HUMAN BEINGS play in. The fact that it's fantasy doesn't mean it doesn't have real-life implications.

- My wife, who's a big DOS1 fan, cringed at those poses. He reaction was something like "really they put so much effort into this and that and all the female humans just stick their butt out?". and yeah, it's glaringly obvious.

- "It's their artistic vision" is complete BS. I'm 100% positive there's no "artistic vision guideline" at Larian stating that human females should alwyas stick their butt out in this world. It's probably a guy doing the poses, looking at references from Comics or Superheros or other games or what have you, and posing that. So calling them out is GOOD, just as they were called out on DOS1 female armour which they changed.

- There's nothing prude about this. It's great to have sexy women and men. Nudity is awesome. Suggesting that is simply an argument you're trying to find because you either don't understand the arguments, try to invalidate the person making them, or just being a troll.

Phew.

S
veteran
veteran
S
"Which is exactly what's wrong, IMO. I prefer seeing characters in heroic poses, or poses relevant to their profession, not sticking their butt out for no reason."

Which happens where? Ive looked through all the Elven poses right now and that doesnt happen.
The knight has a double handed grip on the sword the warrior stands there in a fairly straight forward "look ive got a sword" pose. The cleric looks more guarded and the wizards do fancy stuff with their wands. The Battlemage stands there in what i can only explain as a "Ninja pose"
Where is that supposed sticking their butt out? you are just making stuff up as you go.
Or are you also gonna complain about the human inquisitor pose which emphasizes motion?

You are making up issues where there are none. None of the characters goes against their intended role.
and let me ask the question again: Even if there was a character sticking its ass out at the camera, WHICH THERE IS NOT save for the dwarven MALE inquisitor, whats the issue with that? The male Lizard Inquisitor also sticks his "butt" out and i dont see you complaining.
Or where is your mention of the Dwarf Battlemage who shows off his gratuitous body hair in a quite compromising pose? Is this also an issue for you?

The beauty of the Human (or inhuman) body is a staple of the fantasy genre. Explain to me why emphasizing beauty through posing, which as i might add ONLY exists in the character creation and comes up nowhere again, is a bad thing.

"Until a recent point, white people have always had slaves"

Your tumblr is showing again. But i dont expect someone to know of history who thinks that teleporting crocodiles are more realistic than gaudi armor and battlefield nudity (look up Gaesetae)

Originally Posted by Beyond"(just as in MGS Snake is naked because "she uses the sun to whatever"),"[/quote

what character are you refering to exactly?

[quote=Beyond"The fact that it's fantasy doesn't mean it doesn't have real-life implications."

It absolutley 100% does not.
This is a video game. Leave your culture war at the door.

Originally Posted by Beyond"- My wife, who's a big DOS1 fan, cringed at those poses."[/quote

Im sure your wife represents all those women that didnt kickstart original sin...

[quote=Beyond"- "It's their artistic vision" is complete BS. I'm 100% positive there's no "artistic vision guideline" at Larian stating that human females should alwyas stick their butt out in this world."

Let me get this straight: an Artist at larian has created something.
You now come along and claim that it was not his artistic vision.

Ok. No.

[quote=Beyond"Suggesting that is simply an argument you're trying to find because you either don't understand the arguments, try to invalidate the person making them, or just being a troll."[/quote]

no you just dont have any arguments.
All you have is your opinion that is not founded on anything other than an agenda that does not have a place within a video game.

Last edited by Sordak; 18/09/16 11:06 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
They even clearly linked the Fem Inquisitor pose and explained they would struggle to hold this pose. It's about the spine, the spine does not work like that...

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Tiaan
They even clearly linked the Fem Inquisitor pose and explained they would struggle to hold this pose. It's about the spine, the spine does not work like that...

I made this account just to tell you that i can hold that pose, you're all exaggerating a ton regarding how hard it is to hold it.

Last edited by vometia; 18/09/16 11:42 AM. Reason: formatting
K
stranger
stranger
K
Which is exactly what's wrong, IMO. I prefer seeing characters in heroic poses, or poses relevant to their profession, not sticking their butt out for no reason.

- My wife, who's a big DOS1 fan, cringed at those poses. He reaction was something like "really they put so much effort into this and that and all the female humans just stick their butt out?". and yeah, it's glaringly obvious.

- "It's their artistic vision" is complete BS. I'm 100% positive there's no "artistic vision guideline" at Larian stating that human females should alwyas stick their butt out in this world.

Oh? "You prefer heroic poses" do you? So they should just change their designs, and negate their own choices because, well, that's what you prefer. Your preference is of the utmost importance, right? Well guess what? I prefer the poses as they are, and I think if the designers want the poses to be that way, then that's fine, it's their game, their art, their decision. If you don't like it, simply don't play the game. It's not complicated.

Who cares what your wife has to say about the poses? Both me and my sister are "huge fans of D:OS1", and she thinks the poses are fine. In fact both she and I are dumbfounded that this is ACTUALLY something people complain about.

Artistic vision is what the artist/designer envisions in their mind. The result they strive toward. There's no "guidelines" or rules, that's what makes art so great, an artist can design whatever they want however they want to fit that vision. You can disagree with it, sure, but you can't expect them to change or censor it just because you or others get a little triggered.

If you have such a huge issue with such a trivial aspect of the game, maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself as a person, and think about the reasons you play games. On my end however, the issue is much more important. As an advocate for freedom of expression (and intelligence), watching you self righteous goons pressure and harass developers into self censorship makes me sick. How dare you? As an aspiring game designer myself, and avid gamer, my passion for games goes deeper than you can comprehend, and seeing this political agenda pushing rhetoric seep into this industry like a cancer pains me and stresses me the hell out. Designers can't create what they want anymore because all the crybullies will accuse and harass.

It's just some sexy poses in a video game. Don't like it? Fine. Ignore it, play male characters, or better yet, don't play the game at all. Because you clearly don't care sbout games, or what they mean.

Last edited by Kemando; 18/09/16 11:44 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I do so love the strawman and cries of censorship. This is a minor issue it would not stop me playing the game. Nonetheless, it's an issue and the description for the Inquisitor does not fit the pose.

"A daring wand-wielder risking life and limb to decimate evil head on"

As I said if it was a bard who had seduction skill then it would be perfectly fine.

For instance, if Bard was a class it could be written like this:

"Whether skilled in the art of music or sublime seduction it is easy to forget the Bard is as deadly as it is inviting."

Last edited by Tiaan; 18/09/16 11:52 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Well, we all know what happened last time, they had to censor the cover art. Which, like now, was not an issue.

And that description could be applied to the character and they could still be sexy. You think just because they're a "daring wand wielder" means they can't be a sexy badass?

Last edited by Kemando; 18/09/16 11:58 AM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Well, let's make a comparison of a bad ass. Most of the time Buffy was not sexualized nor was River Tam both could be bad ass without coming across as insulting to their character. My suggestion at least lines up with a character would use such a pose. Not to mention my suggestion is solely based on one idea. There are many other classes that could use it.

Also, because of that pose, I chose Wayfarer instead, even though Inquisitor intrigued me. Face it, most who complained supported game in Kickstarter so our opinions are just as relevant as yours. You don't seem to realize this nor realize that since the game in Alpha it is time for these niggling issues to be resolved. I never said it was a huge issue, but it was distracting for otherwise good game.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D

Maybe a magical spine does laugh?

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Darkraign

Maybe a magical spine does laugh?

Touche wink.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard