Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bhazor Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
A lot of threads about physical and magical armour. So I'd like to just make a suggestion and see what people thought.

What if physical and magical regenerated each turn based on strength and intelligence? For example at 10 strength you regenerate 5% of your maximum armour (including or excluding bonus physical armour from fortify) each turn. As it seems to me the biggest criticism with the system is that it makes it too easy to stun lock enemies. Once you've got their armor to zero you can essentially forget about them and attack their mates. Just stun them for two turns then knock them down for two turns by which time your stun is off cool down. Which combined with AOE crowd control has the potential to make fights trivial. Already its possible to cheese fights with freeze and Prince's ground stomp. With regenerating armor it would not be possible to do that. As by the time your first stun has worn off they've recovered 10% of their armour and you'll need to hit them before you can stun them again. In effect it means you have to keep doing damage to them every turn to keep them stunned and can't just ignore them until you've dealt with the boss.

Opinions?

journeyman
journeyman
I think it could be a good idea, but it would involve changing some other things around. As far as I've observed, as soon as you gain back any amount of armor, you're immediately cured of any relevant status effects. If you're regenerating any amount of armor every turn, then every status effect suddenly has a duration of one turn, which is... not a great side-effect.

So, it would require some work. But I think it could add some interest to the armor system.

B
Bhazor Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by mesmerizedish
I think it could be a good idea, but it would involve changing some other things around. As far as I've observed, as soon as you gain back any amount of armor, you're immediately cured of any relevant status effects. If you're regenerating any amount of armor every turn, then every status effect suddenly has a duration of one turn, which is... not a great side-effect.

I was unaware of that actually. Armour regen curing all status ailments is another issue entirely and I'm not sure I like the idea. Sounds like it would make status ailments trivial especially with Fortify available from the start. I'll play further tomorrow and see how it feels in game.

Last edited by Bhazor; 18/09/16 12:30 AM.
veteran
veteran
I think it would be pretty obnoxious if they regenerated. Because those rules wouldn't just apply to your own stuff but enemies as well, right? I think there are certain skills which can restore physical armor.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Not a fan of the suggestion, honestly... Even assuming the issue pointed by mesmerizedish would be solved.
In short, I'm with Stabby: it would be incredibly obnoxious.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
O
stranger
stranger
O
I think the solution is not changing how the armor works, but removing some stuns, a rogue has like 3 stuns or something that he can use which is pretty insane.

I assumed you were mostly applying this to the arena where it matters most :)

old hand
old hand
fortify which the red prince starts with will restore physical armor; not sure what restores magic armor.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I think it would be pretty obnoxious if they regenerated. Because those rules wouldn't just apply to your own stuff but enemies as well, right? I think there are certain skills which can restore physical armor.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by meme
fortify which the red prince starts with will restore physical armor; not sure what restores magic armor.

There is an ice (?) skill that increases magic armor.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Darkraign
Originally Posted by meme

There is an ice (?) skill that increases magic armor.

Yes Frost Armor I think

I like the current system.

Last edited by Testad; 18/09/16 01:58 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard