Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Seriously, guys, stick to the topic (whatever it is now) and stop having a dig at particular people.

J'aime le fromage.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Regedit
I'd like to inform people in this thread that this thread was posted on KiA, so watch out if you want to avoid GG doxing and usual harassment.

How silly considering it's the anti-gg side that loved doxing so much.
But hey, what do I know, I'm on the "wrong side of history" here.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by Scrubwave
I'd like to inform people in this thread that this thread was posted on KiA, so watch out if you want to avoid GG doxing and usual harassment.

Both sides did it. Pretending otherwise is a distortion of history.

But that is neither here nor there.

A
stranger
stranger
A
You guys seriously love to bitch about meaningless stuff. Larian art style is about funny and cartoony characters and you seriously start bitching for a damn pose ? Is it Overwatch bullshit all over again ?

Also about the elven armors, they made them feel special and I think it's great because elves look very different from humans (unlike many fantasy games). Maybe their armors doesn't seem very protective but we're not in a damn simulation, it's a fantasy setting and sometimes sacrificing a little immersion for the visuals is a good thing.

If you can accept magic and supernatural creatures you can also accept the fact than elven armors are made of enchanted wood, leaves and tatoos and that even if they're not made of plate and don't cover everything they can still be a reliable protection. This whole argument about immersion is complete bullshit, maybe that's why you're called SJW.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Hardly, immersion is not a bullshit argument. I even explained suspension of disbelief which these other things you mention in can justify.

Y
apprentice
apprentice
Y
Originally Posted by Mashiki
Nope. Getting really tired of this. It happened the last time around and if you don't like it, walk away. Let artists, animators, and developers do as they want. You want to whine over mechanics, feel free. But it's getting bloody tiresome over the whole "omg pose" "omg buttocks" "omg she's showing bellybutton!" "OMG the epic fantasy game isn't like IRL, I NEEEEEED TO WHINE!" Maybe the developers can pull a Blizzard and add an even better pose, something that will really trigger people who are whining over this.

FYI OP: Your gawker clickbait was debunked ages ago. Let them burn in the wreckage of history as they deserve. Maybe they can redeem themselves under univisions hand, but I doubt it.

I was going to post this myself. I remember how much BS SJW and sites like kotaku went after larian because it "offended" them, it pissed off the artists and fans of the game. Larian has a clear aesthetic design that they are going for and I think its great. Enough trying to pander to the perpetually offended.

I do find it laughable that people say the pose suspends their belief when we have people shooting lightning out of their hands, getting shot in the face with arrows and still moving, dragons, walking skeletons, etc, but THIS, this is the thing that breaks immersions. Ok, yea. Not buying it. This is just another push by the same group that attacked larian last time.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Tiaan

Both sides did it. Pretending otherwise is a distortion of history.

But that is neither here nor there.

I'm always amused with going "it's neither here nor there" AFTER spewing some garbage.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Both sides did do it. I am not blaming one side, either side had ass holes in it. The abuse TB got was from Anti-GG but on otherhand doxxing went on with GG.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'd be interested in your sources on that one.

journeyman
journeyman
I hate this has turned into such a big deal...

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kingcrowley

It hasn't... seriously.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah my bad seems i got this post confused with another similar one.
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Originally Posted by kingcrowley

It hasn't... seriously.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
HI

All elves wear practically nothing. Play a male elf, scale looks just as skimpy on them. There's very little female only sexualized clothing in this game. Also everyone has goofy poses.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I find the nitpicking over various poses or armor outfits in games extremely gender negative. It's fine to not necessarily enjoy something but why make art in entertainment a political issue when the art itself is not inherently political? Is the idea here that we should police culture or specific sub-cultures?

Attractive stereotypes are not a bad thing, its just a thing. It's something to be enjoyed for those that enjoy it. Once can celebrate attractive stereotypes without expecting everyone, including oneself, to meet those stereotypes. Fantasy loves attractive people. The 'female armor bikini vs full plate man' stereotype in fantasy comes from a very simple notion: Men are considered attractive in uniform, women are considered attractive in bikini. It's very simple, not very profound, but also not wrong to enjoy or like in any way. I think it often looks stupid, particulary when its overdone, but that does not mean it is a bad thing.

Anyway, I hope Larian sticks to their guns on this one because it is impossible to please everyone. That includes me. I don't particularly like how the armors magically change based upon the race wearing it, I don't like it because I enjoy more the consistency of an item regardless of who is using it. That said I understand what Larian is going for here and if that's their thing they should stick to it

Last edited by GepardenK; 19/09/16 01:38 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R

What anti-gg side? There is no "anti-gg" side, people who dislike GG are not part of an organization, necessarily.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I'd be interested in your sources on that one.

Why bother? Everytime someone from the GG does anything bad, it's either "Justified because X" or "H-he doesn't speak for all of us!"

Anonymity is a powerful tool, /pol/.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hello, actual artist here. So there seems to be perhaps a bit of confusion over physiology, especially as regards the inquisitor. If we take the pose and sketch over it, finding the main body landmarks (breast, centreline, ribcage, etc) it shows us that it's a simple dropped shoulder pose, something that even I, in my less than athletic state, can replicate with ease.

[Linked Image]

As you can see, the right breast is mostly visible, only the very edge of the left, which means we can get a decent idea of the centreline of the character. Map out the ribcage and the shoulders from there, and it's perfectly natural. Stylized and dramatized, sure, but what isn't, in art?

Really, the only thing that kind of stumps me is the left arm. I get the kind of angle it's trying to make, but the elbow seems floaty to me, up there by her head. I'm sure it would make more sense if I rotated the model and was able to see it from a different perspective.

Now, while my main point here was on the pose and the realism thereof, I'd also like to at least touch on the divergent visual styles of the armor. I've always liked that the species were very divergent in visual style, and with the general aesthetic Larian games, especially Original Sin had, it's great that elves look like they're festooned in branches and ivy. After all, as we well know from Original Sin, there's magical potions out there that can somehow turn a person more durable and tough (+armor), so perhaps the elves just craft their armor out of whisperwood, rather than the more mundane steel that humans make it from.

It's certainly not unreasonable, and if anything, I feel it's more immersive. Elves are using magical, natural defenses, humans using what they can heat up and hammer together.

Last edited by vometia; 19/09/16 05:33 PM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
In what little I've played so far, I think quite a few of the animations are a little silly, in my opinion. Not exactly gender negative, but I do find them, so far, somewhat unfinished. Of course, it could be because of my horrid frame-rate.

I have a few other nitpicks so far, but I have a good feeling they'll be fixed in later patches...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by thebonesinger
Hello, actual artist here. So there seems to be perhaps a bit of confusion over physiology, especially as regards the inquisitor. If we take the pose and sketch over it, finding the main body landmarks (breast, centreline, ribcage, etc) it shows us that it's a simple dropped shoulder pose, something that even I, in my less than athletic state, can replicate with ease.

I appreciate your contribution, but there are some problems here.

I'm definitely can't claim to be an artist, but I have access to both 2D & 3D professional artists and I've previously consulted with one of them as part of my process of understanding what's wrong with this image. But being an expert doesn't prove anyone's more right. Remember, Rob Liefeld is also a professional artist (somehow).

It's easy to pull off a similar pose, but there is a reason I've insisted on the "pics or didn't happen". I've posted a photo of a gymnast in a similar pose, but there are key differences between these poses which become more evident when you actually look at the line you've traced of the spine, and when you notice that the inquisitors arm is actually concealing the fact that her second butt cheek would be visible to the camera (try drawing in the hips and the centrelines for the legs). The twisting in the waist needs to be extreme to achieve that. There is a line that has well and truly been crossed here.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I only mentioned being an artist as it was relevant to the fact that I often draw and do 3D modelling, including animation, and as such have dealt with drawing and posing models in the past, and I'm giving my perspective. I do not use it as an 'I'm correct' button, regardless of what you imagine my intention is.

I would, however, be quite interested to hear what your friend's professional opinion is on this, since you consulted with them.

Here's another examination

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Red is the assumption that the other cheek is visible without the arm in the way. I'd like to draw your attention to her belt. Highlighted in blue, it is clearly side-on to the camera. We can see the angle of it as it loops over the hip, but we cannot see any flat portion of it. Similarly, look at the texture detail on the butt of the pants themselves. Again, it follows the curvature of the rear, but then stops before it can flatten out. This is clearly a pose where the hips are align so as to be perpendicular to the camera. The arm is hiding nothing more than the upper part of the thigh. As you can see highlighted in red, if the other cheek were, somehow, managing to face the camera, you'd have bigger issues than an unrealistic body pose - the model itself would be presenting visible mesh deformation as it rotated in such a way as to screw up the skin weighting. Believe me - it's all well and good to say that a pose is unrealistic for a person, but 3D models aren't magic, skin weighting is a very precise deal and bending or moving bones too far can and will look horrible and readily noticeable.

Further, as you desires pictures, well, consider request granted. From the art blog of pirate-cashoo on tumblr, [whose blog the forums don't seem to want me to link] that reference in the above image is an actual woman doing the exact same pose, albeit viewed from a slightly different camera angle. There are further demonstrations within the original post that show a variety of similar, and even more dramatic angles, and how each is, while perhaps not practical, quite possible, such as:

[Linked Image]

apologies to pirate-cashoo for rehosting, but Larian forums appear to autofilter tumblr links as spam.

Last edited by thebonesinger; 20/09/16 03:37 AM.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard