Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Vulpes Absurda
I suspect we'll see a mod to normalize armors to some degree but the sort of modeling skill required to match the art in the game, which is quite nice to be sure, means that any major changes are unlikely. Even for a game like Skyrim doesn't see a lot of new models straight up made for it. Most of it is is rejiggered from other models. And what new models their are tend to be to make the game sexier which is fine! If someone wishes to add that to their game more power to them. Mods are great for that. My issue with the elves is this being the default for them in the game.

I dunno, I would've thought Skyrim would've had a lot of new models made for it; I did a number myself, as well as attempts to de-absurdify some of its armour.

I might well have ended up doing so with D:OS too, but couldn't quite get my head around its modding software let alone figuring out how to transfer stuff to and from Blender...

J'aime le fromage.
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Over the course of five years it's had quite a few in total, compared to the total number of mods made for it however it is relatively low and if I'm not mistaken Skyrim is the single most modded game in history. whereas D:OS never really took off in that regard, so I doubt it will see much in terms of that kind of modding.
But I should have specified that I meant changes to the races themselves. I didn't make that as clear as I should have.

Last edited by Vulpes Absurda; 19/09/16 07:22 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Is this really the first thing you want people to see in the game?

-I dont know? Is there a problem with this character?

I have to be honest, I was really excited for this game, but having this be the default state of dress for an entire race of women has murdered my enthusiasm. And I’m not the only one who was disappointed by this rather blatant sexism.

-Thats your problem and the echo-chamber you're surrounded with.
I already know what you are going to say but ill ask anyway:
-What is this blatant sexism you are talking about?
-Who is not the only one? Do you mean the echo-chamber you're in?
-Anecdotes are not evidence.
-Just because in your opinion this is blatant sexism, it doesnt make this blatant sexism.(more on that below)

You can say all you want about how the men are dressed the same for the elves, but it’s not equivalent in any way. Women are constantly sexualized or reduced to their anatomy. You can’t hand wave it away by saying it’s their elven culture. A writer had to create that culture and that writer does not exist in a vacuum.

-Now the first line, that is blatant sexism.
If i would change "men" with "women" you would be outraged by the very same sentence you write down here.
That is you literally not giving a shit about how men are portrayed in games. But instead want to make large exceptions of how women are portrayed.
-Women are constantly...reduced to their anatomy..
Are they really? Or is that just your ideolog mind speaking?
The exact same thing can be said about men in games.
But its been already established that you dont give a shit about that.
-The fact of the matter is that nearly everyone on this planet likes attractive people and is attracted to said people. Denying this is simply denying reality.
Games are fantasy, its meant to be fantasy.

A few women I have asked about this have been hugely disappointed and have opted to not buy this game or future Larian products. These people have supported Larian for many years, and are disappointed with this choice.

-Who are these women you are referring to?
What data do you have to back up this claim?
To me this all sounds like an attempt to blackmail larian with non-arguments riddled with logical fallacies.
Id recommend larian to focus on the empirical data called: the money, the feedback and take their conclusions from that. Not from some clear ideolog that cant back up anything he/she claims with empirical evidence.

The only reason you’re hearing from me and not them is that this is so standard it wasn’t worth their time to write something like this out and then be told by commenters that they’re are being some sort of prude or that “The game is for adults and some people like this stuff and you’re just being an social jusblah blah blah”

-What you are saying here is the following:
They didnt care much about the game to begin with, cant be bothered voicing their opinion because of the former and therefore arent worth considdering as valid concerns when it comes to larian to begin with.
And most importantly, that they cant deal with dissenting opinions on this.
-Yeah, people do call you out on your comments because theyre bullshit. Any rational thinking person can see the ridicilousness in your claims and the people that you are parroting, the hypocrisy in it and the clear ideolog mindset behind it and the fact you cant back up anything of this with empirical evidence when pressed on the matter further works against your premise.

And here’s the thing, I don’t really care if this sort of absurd outfit is an option.

-Then what is the problem to begin with?
Blatant sexism is blatant sexism, its not a matter of opinion when it comes to that. It either is or it isnt period.

I think the elves look kinda gross in a living beef jerky plant kinda way but I’m guessing that’s the point and that’s fine.

-Thats just your opinion, so again, how can u claim its clear blatant sexism whilst at the same time claim you dont care about it and dont really like the look to begin with?
Contradictions, contradictions everywhere as expected.
Seems more likely you simply dont like the look of the character and try to enforce a change by parroting your peer bullshit to it to attempt to gain leverage over larian.
Again, i believe, thats called attempt to blackmail.

I even get why you would want to show that off. But it needs to be done in a way that isn’t also reusing tired bikini armour and seductive sorceress tropes.

-Subjective

Because when you do that, that is the only thing that stands out. So it’s not just a failure in the way it can alienate roughly half the population of the planet, but an artistic one as well.

-Again, purely subjective and frankly says a lot more about you then anything else.
Not only is it a failure on your end to display why this is objectively bad but also the claim this can alienate half the population on the planet is utterly ridicilous. Where is your evidence for this? Where is your evidence to even remotely considder taking this position to begin with?
Anyone that has female friends, family or spouses that do not give a shit about this and actually like it disproves this claim immediatly.
-"but an artistic one as well" Please enlighten me with how your subjective opinion on someone elses artistic skills & vision is the only valid one in these dark ages of rampant sexism everywhere!

I hope you take these thoughts into consideration.

-I havent seen a single reason for larian to take your thoughts and the people u claim to represent in consideration. If anything theres nothing but reasons to NOT to do so. You already admitted they dont really care for the game anyway.

I know you did something similar with the boxart for the previous game

-Yeah and thats why you are here isnt it?

and while I still had issues with that game's presentation of women your willingness to make changes was a big part of why I wanted to give you a chance with this one

-Yes because the entire world needs to cater to YOU, everyone needs to take in consideration YOUR views, YOUR ideas, YOUR perception of the world, YOUR vision,...
Its all about YOU. The self entitlement is beyond the moon at this point. Let me know when you swing back around and reach the earth again.

and backed the kickstarter for two. I am disappointed to see that you have not learned from past mistakes.

(please forgive me for the sarcasm here)
-"All hail the king/queen" Please everyone, kneel for her/his highness as he/she graces us with his/her presence and allows us to create and enjoy this ga..
OH wait, not learned from past mistakes?
Whats that? changes been made to accomodate YOUR opinion and you're still not happy?
What a surprise. This is exactly why nobody needs to cater to you, you are never happy, never content.
You are part of a group that displays the most self-entitled
mentality i have ever seen in my entire life.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you receive this in the spirit in which it is intended.

-I certainly did and did adress your points seriously.
Forgive me for the sarcasm at the end, i really could not go about it any other way then that.

You know what you should do? A few things:
1. Make your own game
2. Write your own stories
3. Read some orwell
4. Read some marx
5. Come to the conclusion that you are profoundly offensive, cultural marxism is utterly ridicilous, your ideas are insanely regressive and that you are not the center of the universe.

Thank you very much and i hope you will be able to escape the brainwashing that you have been exposed to by doing the 5 simple things i laid out to help you.

journeyman
journeyman
Nice.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
Strong, self-confident and mature women embrace their sexuality and don't repel it. The very same women can be naked, even in public, and don't feel bad about it, be ashamed about it, or feel objectified.

Sexuality is not bad. Being sexy is not bad. Don't be intimidated by displays of sexuality. That's actually something that makes the world a better, more enjoyable place.

And being naked and being sexy are not the same thing. Displays of naked people are not necessarily sexist, actually only in very rare instances with specific violent or abusive context they are. In most cases, it's just a display of human nakedness, nothing more. A display of nature.

Elves are creatures of nature. Why shouldn't they be naked or half naked? And if they want: Why shouldn't they be sexy?

Really, don't just see the bad in everything, the failure, the insult, the objection. Just enjoy entertainment for what it is, a means to make our lives a bit more fun and light, or let it just be and do something else with your life. But please, don't spoil the fun for everybody else just because you see wolves and ghosts everywhere and because you can't bear the sight of a halfly naked female (elven) being.

Btw I was naked in the sauna yesterday and nobody cared. Nobody called me sexist. People watched my body and I watched theirs and everything was fine, just like it should be. Life is often pretty simple as long as you don't make it complicated for yourself... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 20/09/16 12:48 AM.

WOOS
S
S
My wife plays this game with me. in D:OS she was very impressed that her female tank character's armor actually looked like female tank characters armor.
Elves unfortunately ruin that good will. Even if both the male and the female do it.
TBH, my desire to play the elf race is tempered by the fact that their armor design is ugly to me.
But, I completely understand why the lack of clothing/presentation is bothering female players. If it was me, I would change the way their armor works and make it more substantial anyways.
Larian should atleast take into account the fact that bikini armor was the dumbest thing ever drawn on any fantasy character irregardless of sexist intentions.
All they need to do is a tight fitting bark skin like look to all the elves skimpy bits.

The simple fact that it is generating so much negative feedback, sexist or not, should be enough reason to change the 3D models. Even a slight change will make a huge difference to the community - the professional and public presentation and the overall art design. Larian has done elves well in the past - no need to change that now.

S
S
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Strong, self-confident and mature women embrace their sexuality and don't repel it. The very same women can be naked, even in public, and don't feel bad about it, be ashamed about it, or feel objectified.

Btw I was naked in the sauna yesterday and nobody cared. Nobody called me sexist. People watched my body and I watched theirs and everything was fine, just like it should be. Life is often pretty simple as long as you don't make it complicated for yourself... wink

From how mature and well put together your posts have been LordCrash, I have to say I'm a little disappointed to read this from you. It's not offensive, but it certainly isn't true. The poor treatment of women in video games and gamer culture is well documented fact and not in any way up for debate by intelligent people.

S
S
Originally Posted by tritrium
Is this really the first thing you want people to see in the game?

-I dont know? Is there a problem with this character?

I have to be honest, I was really excited for this game, but having this be the default state of dress for an entire race of women has murdered my enthusiasm. And I’m not the only one who was disappointed by this rather blatant sexism.

-Thats your problem and the echo-chamber you're surrounded with.
I already know what you are going to say but ill ask anyway:
-What is this blatant sexism you are talking about?
-Who is not the only one? Do you mean the echo-chamber you're in?
-Anecdotes are not evidence.
-Just because in your opinion this is blatant sexism, it doesnt make this blatant sexism.(more on that below)

You can say all you want about how the men are dressed the same for the elves, but it’s not equivalent in any way. Women are constantly sexualized or reduced to their anatomy. You can’t hand wave it away by saying it’s their elven culture. A writer had to create that culture and that writer does not exist in a vacuum.

-Now the first line, that is blatant sexism.
If i would change "men" with "women" you would be outraged by the very same sentence you write down here.
That is you literally not giving a shit about how men are portrayed in games. But instead want to make large exceptions of how women are portrayed.
-Women are constantly...reduced to their anatomy..
Are they really? Or is that just your ideolog mind speaking?
The exact same thing can be said about men in games.
But its been already established that you dont give a shit about that.
-The fact of the matter is that nearly everyone on this planet likes attractive people and is attracted to said people. Denying this is simply denying reality.
Games are fantasy, its meant to be fantasy.

A few women I have asked about this have been hugely disappointed and have opted to not buy this game or future Larian products. These people have supported Larian for many years, and are disappointed with this choice.

-Who are these women you are referring to?
What data do you have to back up this claim?
To me this all sounds like an attempt to blackmail larian with non-arguments riddled with logical fallacies.
Id recommend larian to focus on the empirical data called: the money, the feedback and take their conclusions from that. Not from some clear ideolog that cant back up anything he/she claims with empirical evidence.

The only reason you’re hearing from me and not them is that this is so standard it wasn’t worth their time to write something like this out and then be told by commenters that they’re are being some sort of prude or that “The game is for adults and some people like this stuff and you’re just being an social jusblah blah blah”

-What you are saying here is the following:
They didnt care much about the game to begin with, cant be bothered voicing their opinion because of the former and therefore arent worth considdering as valid concerns when it comes to larian to begin with.
And most importantly, that they cant deal with dissenting opinions on this.
-Yeah, people do call you out on your comments because theyre bullshit. Any rational thinking person can see the ridicilousness in your claims and the people that you are parroting, the hypocrisy in it and the clear ideolog mindset behind it and the fact you cant back up anything of this with empirical evidence when pressed on the matter further works against your premise.

And here’s the thing, I don’t really care if this sort of absurd outfit is an option.

-Then what is the problem to begin with?
Blatant sexism is blatant sexism, its not a matter of opinion when it comes to that. It either is or it isnt period.

I think the elves look kinda gross in a living beef jerky plant kinda way but I’m guessing that’s the point and that’s fine.

-Thats just your opinion, so again, how can u claim its clear blatant sexism whilst at the same time claim you dont care about it and dont really like the look to begin with?
Contradictions, contradictions everywhere as expected.
Seems more likely you simply dont like the look of the character and try to enforce a change by parroting your peer bullshit to it to attempt to gain leverage over larian.
Again, i believe, thats called attempt to blackmail.

I even get why you would want to show that off. But it needs to be done in a way that isn’t also reusing tired bikini armour and seductive sorceress tropes.

-Subjective

Because when you do that, that is the only thing that stands out. So it’s not just a failure in the way it can alienate roughly half the population of the planet, but an artistic one as well.

-Again, purely subjective and frankly says a lot more about you then anything else.
Not only is it a failure on your end to display why this is objectively bad but also the claim this can alienate half the population on the planet is utterly ridicilous. Where is your evidence for this? Where is your evidence to even remotely considder taking this position to begin with?
Anyone that has female friends, family or spouses that do not give a shit about this and actually like it disproves this claim immediatly.
-"but an artistic one as well" Please enlighten me with how your subjective opinion on someone elses artistic skills & vision is the only valid one in these dark ages of rampant sexism everywhere!

I hope you take these thoughts into consideration.

-I havent seen a single reason for larian to take your thoughts and the people u claim to represent in consideration. If anything theres nothing but reasons to NOT to do so. You already admitted they dont really care for the game anyway.

I know you did something similar with the boxart for the previous game

-Yeah and thats why you are here isnt it?

and while I still had issues with that game's presentation of women your willingness to make changes was a big part of why I wanted to give you a chance with this one

-Yes because the entire world needs to cater to YOU, everyone needs to take in consideration YOUR views, YOUR ideas, YOUR perception of the world, YOUR vision,...
Its all about YOU. The self entitlement is beyond the moon at this point. Let me know when you swing back around and reach the earth again.

and backed the kickstarter for two. I am disappointed to see that you have not learned from past mistakes.

(please forgive me for the sarcasm here)
-"All hail the king/queen" Please everyone, kneel for her/his highness as he/she graces us with his/her presence and allows us to create and enjoy this ga..
OH wait, not learned from past mistakes?
Whats that? changes been made to accomodate YOUR opinion and you're still not happy?
What a surprise. This is exactly why nobody needs to cater to you, you are never happy, never content.
You are part of a group that displays the most self-entitled
mentality i have ever seen in my entire life.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you receive this in the spirit in which it is intended.

-I certainly did and did adress your points seriously.
Forgive me for the sarcasm at the end, i really could not go about it any other way then that.

You know what you should do? A few things:
1. Make your own game
2. Write your own stories
3. Read some orwell
4. Read some marx
5. Come to the conclusion that you are profoundly offensive, cultural marxism is utterly ridicilous, your ideas are insanely regressive and that you are not the center of the universe.

Thank you very much and i hope you will be able to escape the brainwashing that you have been exposed to by doing the 5 simple things i laid out to help you.

Lol at this guy and his second post in the forums.
nice troll bro. Thanks for the rant.

A
addict
addict
A
Well, his rant (as entertaining as any rant is) did in fact make valid points smirk

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
All i got from this topic is that people are too sensitive, get a grip.

I just don't understand how people that call themselves gamers can be so easily put off from playing such an amazing game.

The guys could be naked with 20 inch penises and id still enjoy the game, seriously.

Last edited by SacredDark; 30/09/16 11:42 AM.
apprentice
apprentice

Sexuality is not bad. Being sexy is not bad. Don't be intimidated by displays of sexuality. That's actually something that makes the world a better, more enjoyable place.

And being naked and being sexy are not the same thing. Displays of naked people are not necessarily sexist, actually only in very rare instances with specific violent or abusive context they are. In most cases, it's just a display of human nakedness, nothing more. A display of nature.

Elves are creatures of nature. Why shouldn't they be naked or half naked? And if they want: Why shouldn't they be sexy?

Really, don't just see the bad in everything, the failure, the insult, the objection. Just enjoy entertainment for what it is, a means to make our lives a bit more fun and light, or let it just be and do something else with your life. But please, don't spoil the fun for everybody else just because you see wolves and ghosts everywhere and because you can't bear the sight of a halfly naked female (elven) being.

Even though this is a really good point to bring up, that we shouldn't shame sexiness or sexuality, the problem with sexiness in the videogame industry is that it's used by devs to make female characters sexually appealing to a target straight male audience. It has been used as a cheap tactic to get male gamers into a game through sexual appeal.

The female heroes who fall under this category, and there are many who do, are essentially sex objects for the male consumer to enjoy rather than compelling characters we can invest ourselves in, like most male heroes. This is why so many people speak up against it, we want to see more variety in the portrayal of female characters.

This does not mean eliminating sexy female characters forever, it means making them less dominant to make room for different kinds of female characters. Characters who don't fall under the bikini chainmail armor stereotype.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by cae37

Even though this is a really good point to bring up, that we shouldn't shame sexiness or sexuality, the problem with sexiness in the videogame industry is that it's used by devs to make female characters sexually appealing to a target straight male audience. It has been used as a cheap tactic to get male gamers into a game through sexual appeal.

The female heroes who fall under this category, and there are many who do, are essentially sex objects for the male consumer to enjoy rather than compelling characters we can invest ourselves in, like most male heroes. This is why so many people speak up against it, we want to see more variety in the portrayal of female characters.

This does not mean eliminating sexy female characters forever, it means making them less dominant to make room for different kinds of female characters. Characters who don't fall under the bikini chainmail armor stereotype.

This was very thoughtfully worded and well put. However, is the pose in the character screen really so... Influential? Impactful? I would hope that Lhose and Sebille's characters speak volumes more about how the game treats females than how they stand in the character creation screen.

S
veteran
veteran
S
we already have two of these threads does this one need to be resurrected aswell?

K
stranger
stranger
K
Do they grow these SJW nutcases in a greenhouse or something?
I swear there's a new one here everyday.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by cae37

And here you are yet again trying to make the same incredibly ignorant point.

Why does the market need to make more room for something that already exists and has existed for a long time? Both games that do and do not include sexual undertones exist. They also exist in proportion to what the market demands. What about this do you not understand?

Do you make this retarded argument for any other type of medium or just for games?
There should be fewer romance novels published so there is more room for some other genre. There should be fewer horror movies produced so that there can be more of your favourite type of movie. There should be less modern art on display in museums so your favorite type of art is shown instead.

The games we currently have are here because of what hundreds of millions of people have previously bought. People buy what they like, thus people in general like an element of naked bodies in games.
Don't buy those games if you do not like them. Go gather all your friends and support other types of games if you want more of them, go gather a million people who agree with you and behave in that way with their wallet and you will have an impact on what is released on the market.

addict
addict
I'll just also point out an observation that custom characters are given second class treatment. The game explicitly tells you to try the pregen characters. While both male and female elves get the same skimpy costumes, the only pregen elf character happens to be a female. The result is that there is no pregen skimpy male to provide a contrast to Sebille.

I'm not accusing Larian of anything deliberate, but no one should be surprised if this makes a bad first impression.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by KhorneZerker
Do they grow these SJW nutcases in a greenhouse or something?
I swear there's a new one here everyday.

Have you checked college campuses recently? Thats where they breed them. Its not all that strange when you think about it. Kids learn what they are taught, and if an ideologue professor fills their heads with SJW nonsense instead of critical thinking skills and some academically usefull rigor, they are going to end up like this.

journeyman
journeyman
I wonder how an SJW would react if you told them women wear tight, skin-showing wetsuits when they go swimming or deep-sea diving, and have been for over 100 years now? Do you think they will be "triggered" then demand society change to their own ignorance?

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'm reminded of the South Park episode where they had to put a big black censored rectangle over the prophet mohammed because of death threats.

I hope Larian ignores this thread. Every alpha/beta i've been in that waters down the content and makes the developers move from their original ideas always ends up with a worse final game.

I quite like the semi naked elves.

A
addict
addict
A
You know something you never see? The people making issues of female characters bringing up the same problems mirrored in male characters? What if I feel bad that male hero stereotypes perpetuate the idea that I should have six packs and be of a certain height? Or that I have to be stoic? Or or or or or.....What ever happened to a hero representing the "average" guy? Some acne, a bit of pudge, maybe an underachiever, ect...
-_- Feminists are quick to point to any perceived problem with "women" but seem to be willfuly ignoring the fact that it's not like women get special treatment. It's just showed differently with the male characters

EDIT: Also, I go to NYU -> Left wing activists of the more radical persuasion aren't brainwashed into being....I'm convinced they're spawned. They multiply way to fast. I actually make it a point not to mention any of my political beliefs in school cause people would label me enemy number one -> I'm a white looking (I'm mixed), young, single, male that's had a pretty good life financially where most of my family has served in the army...therefore, to most of them, I'm all that's wrong with the world and need to plead for forgiveness and the right to breath the same air or spout the same rhetoric as them

Last edited by aj0413; 01/10/16 04:08 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard