Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Ok... armor magically transforms itself into boobplates when equipped by females. A bit borderline, but well... fine.

Now... just found a scalemail and gave it to my elf and it turned into a bunch of leaves... *ouch*

Please tell me that's not final... The integrity of the game was one of THE selling points for me. So many games today neglect this.
When something exists in the gaming world I want it to have a meaning.

If you don't want to model metal armor for elves, because it is to much work, then please adjust the usage instead, so elves can wear "leave-armor" while dwarves can't, or whatever.

Really bummed right now, tbh. frown

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
veteran
veteran
Armors appear different according to what race is wearing them, yes.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
was announced in one kickstarter update i think

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
apprentice
apprentice
It's a very gamey feature but hey, this is a game and I like having special racial armour sets so I'm happy.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Am I the only one who thinks seashells should be craftable into female armor??

A
stranger
stranger
A
+1

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
As I said elsewhere, I don't really see it as any more daft than the expectation that I would be able to squeeze into a size 10 dress without some pretty serious alteration...

J'aime le fromage.
D
stranger
stranger
D
i kinda like that armor looks different depending which race is using it, otherwise might be kinda boring if you have multiple leather or robes users.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Deimos
i kinda like that armor looks different depending which race is using it, otherwise might be kinda boring if you have multiple leather or robes users.

i also like that armor varies depending on race, since in D:OS 1 there was like 3-4 armor types and robes looked kinda bland imo, in D:OS 2 they have upped their armor model game tremendously, the only thing i can wish for now is that you can find divine order armor sets in the prison camp, since all their armor look awesome + it would be fun to pretend to be a someone from the order (when you get your collar of) and lead the rest of your party who pretends to be prisoners out of fort joy.

Last edited by Dexord; 22/09/16 05:27 PM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Looks retarded and lazy to me.
Sad.

Just make different armor sets, elf branch armor and metal chain armor, and let a human wear branch armor or an elf wear mail armor.
What if I don't WANT this aesthetic on my elf character?

fucking lazy and retarded.
I'm also totally find with finding armor sets that nobody on my group can actually wear (lizard armor if I have no lizards on crew). I can sell them or keep them for later.
Make it not so freaking LAZY

Last edited by Lightzy; 22/09/16 06:33 PM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
Its a racial / cultural style? Male elves are "skimpy" too so I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Now, I haven't tested heavy armor on human / dwarf female so I don't know yet.

I like the race-specific armor but understand the argument that any race should be able to take something like a bucket and put that on his / her head without it turning into leaves. Can't satisfy both I guess.

stranger
stranger
I personally like the idea of the armor morphing to look unique for the race that's wearing them right off the bat. I remember in Guild Wars 2, it felt really disappointing not to have the cool looking 'leaf' armor for the majority of your playtime if you played a Sylvari. And as long as the male elves look just as underdressed as the female elves I don't care if it looks impractical.

I think if they just added a bunch more armor that had race limitations, it would cause a lot of frustration for players because if for example you had a lizard and dwarf party and kept getting elf armor drops you'd end up frustrated. Maybe a compromise would be to change the names for something more neutral so the 'chainmail' doesn't turn into leaves when worn by elves, etc?

Last edited by katerinafm; 22/09/16 06:44 PM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
I remember that during the Kickstarter campaign there was a discussion on whether there will be for each race dedicated armour sets in DOS 2 and they decided against it because it would be quite hard to balance. So, let's hope there will be a mod for that!

journeyman
journeyman
Using race specific armor wouldn't actually be that much work to implement. They already have the models.
But race specific armor gets a problem with the random loot system. You might only get really good elf armors, but you need a good human armor.
While armor morphing is the "lazier" option, its kinda necessary here. If they would change loot system to fixed loot then race specific armor would be the better choice.

[Insert something funny here]
S
veteran
veteran
S
Another one of these?

So you think that this issue would somehow not be there if dwarves could wear elven armor?

If you want realism: have every piece of armor to be brought to a blacksmith to be adjusted to your character, then have this be incredibly expensive.

You complain about the game having a distinct style for each race (and lol boobplate: where is the boobplate? please show me that boobplate, OS2 is fairly conservative when it comes to its armors) out of "realism" when realism would mostly entail tedium.

Also "what if i dont want to wear elven armor" then dont play an elf.
I for one prefer more aesthetic integrity for the characters rather than genericness and pseudo realism that isnt any more realistic than the current system.

Somehow everytime i see a complaint like this i just feel like you want to score "grown up points" by showing how much you care about pointless things.

EDIT: actualy making "race armor" would be an extremeley annoying task since it would require all the armor models fitted to all the character meshes in the game. Which is a fairly complicated task just to be able to play a half naked dwarf.

The current system allows us to have armor that actually looks fitting on a less humanoid character race like lizards, few games have that. Im glad this game does.

Last edited by Sordak; 22/09/16 08:55 PM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Sordak
EDIT: actualy making "race armor" would be an extremeley annoying task since it would require all the armor models fitted to all the character meshes in the game. Which is a fairly complicated task just to be able to play a half naked dwarf.

No it wouldnt... there are plenty of ways to do it, and there are plenty of games that do it. And if it was annoying, thats beside the point. Creating content, and 3D has lots of "annoyances", are you suggesting that none of it should be done because its annoying?

Also, since its annoying, lets just do either all males or just females, for annoyance sake, don't bother refitting them to another body type! LOL...

I guess devs should just make stick figures from now on, since its easy and not "annoying".

Its a fallacious argument.

addict
addict
I've been through a lot of this already. I'll make these points for now.
Boob plate doesn't exist in the real world, at least not in the sense that it's a good idea. Armour should deflect weapons, not focus them towards your sternum. But whatever, I think we all feel comfortable letting this go.

I don't like morphing armour. I prefer to have control of the aesthetic myself. But if you really want to put effort into giving each piece of armour a unique feel for each race, then fine. Though it really makes me worry. D:OS had only a handful of different outfits, and by adding 3 new races, they're going to have 4 times as much work (a lot of which will probably wasted, because elves and dwarves are biased towards certain classes anyway). I'm definitely not optimistic for a lot of variety here. I expect elves are going to look pretty much interchangeable with each other.

Anyway, if I give my elf (boy or girl) heavy armour, as a minimum I want it to look like the elf is wearing heavy armour.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ayvah
Anyway, if I give my elf (boy or girl) heavy armour, as a minimum I want it to look like the elf is wearing heavy armour.

Branches are heavier than leaves. :P

N
stranger
stranger
N
If you're capable of suspending your disbelief regarding handwaving resulting in fireballs and lightningbolts, i'm sure you can with this aswell, no ?

Y
apprentice
apprentice
Y
I prefer finding morph Armour that anybody can use than have a lot of loot wasted on race specific Armour like in most RPG's. I actually like that different races have their own aesthetic look, too many games end up with most or all my party members looking the same by the end of the game since there is usually a specific Armour that is the most powerful in the game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard