Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
I've reached the beach, where I have to face off against Bishop Alexander, which is all well and good.

However, my party are all level 7 and he and his cronies are level 8s.
And so he pretty much wrecks face on me each time.

I thought I could go and level up some more, but there doesn't seem to be anything (that I can find) to go and level up on (I've killed pretty much everyone and everything - starting to feel like a psychopathic murderer in the game! Heh!).

The only thing I've not worked out how to do, is what to do in Braccus Rex's Shrine / Armoury. I've blessed the lever and entered the shrine, but am stumped as to what's supposed to happen next in there.
Any hints?

Aside from that, there's maybe one or two rly small side quests (such as the missing child in the Fort and Whitmoore's ghost - I freed him from the jar, but it hasn't completed?)

So, yeah. Feeling a bit frustrated and stuck. Could use a pointer here maybe!

Where's my badge, Jimmy?
Where's my badge...?
S
stranger
stranger
S
You can definitely take down the Bishop at level 7, but it will take some cunning. For me, a big part of this fight is just keeping alexander away from you until the worm spawns so that they can hack at eachother.
Have at least two characters use teleport alternately on him so that he stays far away, and you should have no problems.

You could describe how your party setup looks, and exactly how your face is getting wrecked?

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
Good point.
So my party is set up with:

(Knight) 2-Handed. Warfare (Mega Axe of Doom!)
(BattleMage (R-Prince)) 1-Hand & Shield & Spells
(Ranger (Sebille)) Ranged
(Mage/Healer (Lohse)) - Spells and Wands

Effectively what I am finding is that I walk into the area, I go through the spiel from Alexander, then the battle starts. Without fail, he and his cronies get the initiative drop on my guys and he bombards me with poison and fire which all but wipes my health down. Ok, that's fine. I can heal...

But what is essentially crippling me in this battle is the blindness. Why is it permanent? It's such a bad design decision and makes the spell incredibly powerful!
(ZOMG><! Spell is liek OP and shud be liek band or sumting!)

Ahem!... Anyway, Sebille can First Aid it off 1 person, but it's not really enough. And more to the point, if she isn't standing right next to any of the other team members, she can't see them to remove the blindness. Ouchees!

If I survive and start healing, etc, I can't fan out quickly enough before the Rogue appears behind the team and the warrior Phoenix Death-From-Aboves into the middle of us.

Now, I don't usually come across a battle I can't win, but so far this one's been a struggle at this level. I'm all for a challenge, but I'm not afraid to ask for some tips when I'm stumped! Heh!

Where's my badge, Jimmy?
Where's my badge...?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmm, I stole all of the oil barrels before I triggered Alexander and his crew. After that I positoined them on the eastside of the building, send out one character and sacrificed him in the hope that he would take one of the Bishops servants with him. After that I entered with the rest through the mainentrance. Luckily the Voidworm already appeared, so Alexandar and his gang were kept busy, while I decoyed the meele-fighters away from him. With the fighters gone I waited. The worm is a strong bastard, but with his poisonclouds he widened the fire, so in the end it could have been worse laugh. After the worm was killed, I killed the rest without big problems.

I was also only Level 7, so yeah, it is manageable! You can do this!

Last edited by Zelon; 22/09/16 03:54 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Step 1: Don't send your whole party in through the front gate, it's a death trap!

Send one guy in, hugging the left wall(this will prevent the mage from nuking you on the first turn) and start the battle with Alexander. At your first chance, teleport your dude out back to behind the gates and prepare to meet alexandar. I'd suggest just teleporting him away every time he gets close to the door, so you can focus on the gheist, the knight and the rogue. Once the worm comes and Alexandar begins fighting it, the rest should be a cakewalk.

If you send only one guy to attract the aggro, you avoid both the rain of death unleashed by the mage as well as Alexandars blinding radiance. Also, remember to use bless on the target that needs it the most! It can really protect against many effects.

This is actually one of the fights that I found alot easier playing with just one character, as it is much easier to avoid enemies and dance around them when you only have to keep one character safe.

Last edited by Storsorgen; 22/09/16 01:59 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
I usually take him out by teleporting my party up on the left wall (the side all the seekers run to once you kill the shriekers) as long as the bishop doesn't see you it doesn't trigger. I position my party in a way that makes the enemies have to funnel themselves to me. They all moved first but I was able to attack first so I slaughtered them at level 6 then when the worm comes out depending on how my party is doing I either fall back and use the worm as a distraction or I just finish everyone off. I easily defeated the bishop and worm in two playthroughs the first fight was rough the second one was easy but I had a stronger party.

S
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
S
All pretty good strategies!
Ok, I'm'a try this tonight when I get home.
I tend to make the noob mistake of forgetting that I can split the party up for a fight and position them! Heh!

Where's my badge, Jimmy?
Where's my badge...?
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Another tip: After eliminating the screechers, before/as the seekers all run to the boat, talk to Gareth. You can get him to lend two seekers to support you in the final battle. On my play through, they were pretty weak offensively, but served as useful distractions so my party didn't get as wrecked by the Alexander.

And as others have said, high ground and spacing your. Party out is great. I managed the fight from the top of the stairs in a straight ahead approach, but created an oil field at the bottom to slow Alexander's advance and set up a fire death trap. Preparation is key.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Also dont know if anybody knew this, but if you use any source ability the worm appears earlier and when it does it usually one shots the enemy ranger or mage.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
If you have Rage on your 2handed warrior, just teleport Alexander in front of your warrior, or your warrior in front of him. With a decent weapon you can crit 250+ on him easily. Also use Snipe with sneak on Sebille, that should chunk down about 700hp on Alexander. You can kill him easily in 1~2 turns. And don't use Source spells during the fight or the worm will spawn earlier, then it's gonna be chaotic.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Storsorgen

You could describe how your party setup looks, and exactly how your face is getting wrecked?

HIS BILLION LACKIES MURDER THE SHIT OUT OF YOU - HOW'S THAT FOR AN EXPLANATION!?

If you send one guy in alone to trigger, they will die. If you send in people from either side to flank, one side gets blinded and dies and the other side dies.

If Alexander gets remotely close, you get one-shot and die.

The problem is that the other side all has a massive initiative lead and you can do nothing except try to recover from all the horrible crap which happens to you before you get to move.

veteran
veteran
Actually there's a bunch of problems.

First and biggest is that there are about 5-6 level 8 enemies when you are pretty much never going to be higher than level 7. There's probably not enough XP available without killing everyone. Even to reach level 7 I had to return to prison to kill the magisters in the holding cells and threatening Paladin Cork. Not a chance I'll get enough to reach level 8 even if I slaughtered everyone left in Fort Joy, prisoners and guards alike.

Second is that even with the best gear I've found and bought to boost everyone's armor, the attacks tear through it like it's not even there. That's because they are enemies with Level 8 Power attacking level 7 characters with random gear.

Third is that the 3 Memory requirement for Source skills this early in the game is crippling. You do not have enough Memory at this point to afford to waste those slots. These early Source skills should cost 1 Memory. Period. Your power limitation is Source points. Isn't that the point of Source Points?

Fourth, if you try to actually use your "game-changer" skills to not die, it spawns an even more ridiculous boss.

Fifth, when the extra boss spawns, your character actually tells Alexander, "Hey this thing wants to kill ALL of US, let's worth together!" Spoiler alert: He doesn't! That actually might be a cool idea: You start out the fight, it quickly becomes hopeless for you, then suddenly the second boss shows up, and you have to team up to take it down, and THEN resume beating the crap out of each other.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Uh, I dunno' about you but the move order in my game is as follows:

Alexander -> My entire team -> Everyone else.

Alexander casts blinding radiance and runs at me - he lands right next to my party like 0AP, everyone has over 150 magic armor so it effectively does nothing.

My team's rogue casts rage, adrenaline, sacrifice of flesh, vault, consumes a potion of invisibility, and casts fatal blow on Alexander. Alexander dies.

I hit delay on everyone else. And I forget how the rest of the fight goes, either the worm spawns immediately causing the rogue to insta-die and the warrior to attack it or they all reposition. The end result is that I teleport my wizard to high ground while phoenix diving my knight to high ground.

Knight proceeds to kill the Magister Wizard up top. My own wizard loads up adrenaline rush, rage, flesh of sacrifice and casts both spores and the tier 2 fire spell which instantly kills the Magister Ranger. Loshe proceeds to cast chain lightning, adrenaline rush, and rage, and dumps the rest of her AP in nukes as well eliminating the gheist.

It's pretty much over from there.

veteran
veteran
Okay, I tried the fight again, this time just sending everyone in the front door. This was just to see what the full turn order would be. It was Alexander, Lhose, Mage, Sebille, [Gwin the Rogue], Knight, Rogue, Ranger, Geist, Red Prince. I'm quite sure I tried sending everyone in the front door on one previous attempt and it wasn't like that. Or perhaps I just sent Gwin in alone so they could retreat and lure the others out.

3/4 of the party was blinded, Lhose teleported Alexander as far away as possible, and everyone ran for the exit. The enemy Mage, Magister Knight, and Ranger didn't follow.

Because of that total indifference to combat (or bad AI), I had a 3 on 3 fight. Sebille picked at enemies from the high ground while Lhose supported. I actually won this fight pretty handily, with the worm killing all the magisters who had stayed back, and the only casualty on my end was the Red Prince who took too many of those earth attacks to the face.

It was odd having that battle be won so easily. It almost certainly would have been much harder if not for the three enemies who stood back and did nothing until the worm killed them. I'll have to try it a few more times. I really don't think that the AI just sitting there is intended behaviour, but it might have been the only way to win the fight.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Man, that gameplan doe.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard