Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
I think for a second we need to step back. I know the "Did it solo at lvl 4 ez qq" crowd will lie saying they did it naked using a spoon at lvl 1. We all know it can be beat but really take a step back and look at the game and think "Is this how it should be balanced?"

Should we be balancing fights around min maxed characters abusing AI and permastunning the combatants? Should it be "Oh he reached my party and one shot reload save try again". Yes we can use smoke bombs, abuse AI pathing, group them together for the hailstorm doom, spam consumables so they never act, or put all your eggs in the rage+warlord+cripple 2hander. But would you rather have a fight where you deal some damage set up some battlefield control the enemy reacts and a constant back and forth, healing wounded party members repositioning etc.

Me just like in DOS1 I reserve the "front door cheese" for when I think that I cannot approach the encounter in a traditional manner but much prefer the fights where its a constant back and forth and maybe I barely win or get crit and have to try again. But the play perfect don't get touched or one shot them mentality is boring to me.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Or it may show that the encounter is under-tuned or it shows that you can tackle the encounter through various means; some people face tank it, others exploit terrain + teleports, some people just snipe Alexander right off the bat, others use fighting retreats, others stun lock all the mobs and play the long game.

Also, in these games, 'slapping a bunch of arbitrary rules' is the norm; every single ability is virtually an exception to the rules. Basically, it's a test of 'how flexible is your party' in almost all of these games.

It should be pretty damn apparent to anyone who is playing that there is always a good chance of getting one shotted; you can one shot the enemies and enemies have the same abilities you do at times, plus, just playing in general if you play recklessly you can easily see, long before the final encounter, that you can die in one hit.

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
This is not a hard fight at all. I've played this one two times now, one try, clean victory. The problem most people might be having is that the fight is unfavorable to certain groups, but me and a friend had a setup with 2 mages, 1 archer, 1 melee 2 handed and it was a breeze honestly. Alexander dead on 2 turn along with most of the enemies as well, then it's just cleaning up the rest and dealing with the worm later. Seriously, I think just a decently built mage coupled with a 2 handed warrior can make this fight too easy to be honest. The game is heavily unbalanced at the moment in favor of players if you know how to build, unfortunately

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I don't know if it's normal, but I actually passed this fight without a problem.

There is a bug (I think), if you talk to the chief and meanwhile your mate attack the other, you can keep talking to him and he doesn't fight, you got 1 of your character blocked in a chat with him, but with that you can kill all of them and then fight him, by the way the big worm don't spawn either, if the chief don't fight there is no worm, so you can kill the chief and the worm in a 1v4 XD

(sorry if i don't explain it well, i suck at english).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Some claim this fight were easy, not realising that they are probably using a lot of overpowered mechanics. Also you should acknowledge that the current maximum difficulty is "normal", there will probably be something like a tactician mode as well.

Overpowered mechanics:

Leadership 4+: Gives you an insane amount of initiative, basically guaranteeing that your party goes first, which is probably more of a flaw with the current initiative system.

Rage+Blood Sacrifice+Warlord: All those skills are overpowered, make you deal way too much damage and allow you to chain kill all the weaker enemies.

Rage+Blood Sacrifice+Sneak+Guerilla+Snipe: Too many combined damage bonuses make oneshots too easy.

Hail Storm: Way too much damage, huge aoe and freezes. The damage is so high, that you often freeze targets that started with full magic armor.

Winter Blast: Costs 1AP, 2 turn CD and freezes for 2 rounds in an aoe.

Perma CC in electrified surfaces (or perma CC in general): Abusing the currently flawed armor+CC system which guarantees CC to work after removing a little bit of armor, allowing you to completely negate problematic foes, like the Bishop.

The list goes on, but you probably get my point by now.

Take away all those mechanics, approach this fight head on without cheesing and imagine being in tactician mode. Now tell me how fair the fight is.

S
stranger
stranger
S
"Take away all the ways to deal with it and tell me how fair it is"
Those are powerful solutions yes, but what would be an acceptable solution for you? Is there another way besides walking straight in and turning it into a slugfest that would not be "using overpowered" mechanics?

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Yeah, If you're not using the mechanics the game gives you, you're only limiting yourself, and if you're doing that then it's your fault, not the game dificulty. The Magic resist bar is there with the sole intention of blocking CC. If you can break that and permacc someone before killing, then you did great. That's no flaw, that's the way it is, and if you're going around that and avoiding using CC on them that's just artificial dificulty, much like playing dark souls bare handed or something.

I have to agree that there are some stuff way too overpowered at the moment though, like Warlord and Rage, but they are what they are, and if not that there would be another way to build to be strong too. I've breezed through DOSEE Tactician and I'm anciously waiting for that mode on DOS2 as well, because that sure is gonna be harder than the first game.

I've posted this response in other similar threads about this fight, but..

I actually thought the fight was way too easy. It's supposedly designed for level 9-10 but I completed the fight easily (none of my party members died) at level 8. If anything, these are super weak enemies for being level 10ish. If I was level 10 I could finish the fight in about 3-4 rounds without losing anyone. It might even be possible to finish the entire fight without taking any HP-damage, at that level.

The fight with the voidwoken and undead was actually more difficult than the end fight, for its level. Several ranged guys spread out on different elevated platforms in an ambush position that suddenly pop-in when you get close enough.

At least with the final fight you can see where everyone is ahead of time (before you start the fight) and you basically have infinite time to prepare your strategy/tactics before the fight even begins.

Last edited by Fyrestorme; 23/09/16 05:22 PM.
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Fyrestorme
I've posted this response in other similar threads about this fight, but..

I actually thought the fight was way too easy. It's supposedly designed for level 9-10 but I completed the fight easily (none of my party members died) at level 8. If anything, these are super weak enemies for being level 10ish. If I was level 10 I could finish the fight in about 3-4 rounds without losing anyone. It might even be possible to finish the entire fight without taking any HP-damage, at that level.

The fight with the voidwoken and undead was actually more difficult than the end fight, for its level. Several ranged guys spread out on different elevated platforms in an ambush position that suddenly pop-in when you get close enough.

At least with the final fight you can see where everyone is ahead of time (before you start the fight) and you basically have infinite time to prepare your strategy/tactics before the fight even begins.

This is a big problem for me in the game at the moment. Quest fights are always way too easy because most of them has some sort of dialogue before, so you can simply see every enemy and position accordinly before finishing the chat. There should be some sort of proximity trigger for these kind of fights, as this makes is retardly easy to fight. This gets you the upper hand even when lower level, allowing one to sneak past enemies, place barrels at will and simply set terrain to their advantage while the whole enemy team just sits and watches while chatting.

And to note that I haven't even done that in the final fight and still found it an easy encounter. The only dificulty one might have is Alexander big health and resist pools, but if you're playing/build right that should be easy to deal with, specially if you have a marksman elf with rage+sneak+snipe+racial skill to open the fight with, which means you almost instanly oneshot him.

Last edited by vometia; 24/09/16 02:25 AM. Reason: formatting
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard