Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#588888 23/09/16 07:24 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A review of Divinity: Original Sin 2 mechanics. Thought it might be interesting to you. The reviewer is a well-known Russian indie game designer and game reviewer NerdCommando (the review is in English though). He is also an author of the most popular Steam guide for DOS.
(can't figure out how to properly insert the video)

Last edited by vometia; 23/09/16 07:36 PM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
This is excellent feedback. He goes into a lot of detail and you can tell he has a very good understanding of the game systems. Hope Larian watches and takes some notes.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Nice video, I agree with most of his points

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
So he basically he shits on most people on this forum, that's pretty funny.

Though he's pretty wrong about items not having memory, plenty of crap with +2 memory, hence I get hilarious distributions like +8 int/+12 memory.

His notes on Huntsman is incorrect too, while the skill says +24% it actually is just 4% per point period since you start off with 20% or something. Same with the rest of the crap in Huntsman.

Also, the game's economy is fucked; you basically need bartering and pickpocketing. A lot of the complaints people have on the forums is due to never being able to gear up properly due to lack of funding.

Last edited by Limz; 28/09/16 11:01 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Limz
Also, the game's economy is fucked; you basically need bartering and pickpocketing. A lot of the complaints people have on the forums is due to never being able to gear up properly due to lack of funding.

This one I still don't get... In my most 'serious' walkthrough I haven't used pickpocketing, bartering or killing merchants and just saved gold to buy some spells/gear that I thought were most important to upgrade. For the rest I went with what rng gave me. Furthermore, I'm tactically a mediocre player at most :p and didn't fully min/max or did one of the more 'op builds' that circulate on the forum (didn't read them beforehand and like to do my own thing). Still I had the feeling that I had geared up properly, encounters were not too hard (classic mode - lvl 7 at the end). And no, didn't stack barrels and stuff either ;-)

So, what is 'properly geared'?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
It is whatever your game plan requires; properly geared can mean that your character functions well as a hybrid; it can mean that your tank can soak up a certain amount of damage for an encounter (say 400+ magic armor or physical armor before buffs); it can mean that every party member is capable of one shotting most given encounters.

So, the question is, what is your game plan? Then you can answer what properly geared means to you. For me, it was simply to push damage, memory, bartering, and leadership as high as possible so I could be as flexible as possible in terms of buying power and deal with any given encounter.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is whatever your game plan requires; properly geared can mean that your character functions well as a hybrid; it can mean that your tank can soak up a certain amount of damage for an encounter (say 400+ magic armor or physical armor before buffs); it can mean that every party member is capable of one shotting most given encounters.

So, the question is, what is your game plan? Then you can answer what properly geared means to you. For me, it was simply to push damage, memory, bartering, and leadership as high as possible so I could be as flexible as possible in terms of buying power and deal with any given encounter.

Okay, I've seen you post a lot on these forums, and you honestly seem really knowledgeable. So how do you get these sorts of numbers? I thought I was doing good when I found a +2 memory item, and I found it on the last boss, so at that point it didn't even matter. I still can't find any good INT items past a really good staff that I stole, and my warrior has yet to see a strength item. Not to mention, the highest magic armor item I have is a necklace that gives +42 magic armor or something like that, on my 2 player game, and I've been everywhere I could find. I have thievery 4, and I've been stealing the best stuff I can find, but what's the secret?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
So, the question is, what is your game plan? Then you can answer what properly geared means to you.

Exactly. That was the point I was trying to make I guess. And not every game plan should be easily attainable. Some goals you mention are perfect examples.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
So, the Sanctuary vendors, the Undead Cart Dude, and the Perpetual Flame Circle Lady all have generous item tables; they will generally generate rings +2 memory / +1 something else at around level 7. So if you skip zones, run around in circles, you'll eventually come across those.

For magic armor to even get near 400 (300 was my best before buffs) you'll need to deck out every slot with Magic Armor and you're going to wear a robe. A robe alone is +100.

For physical armor you need a shield, that's +100 at ~8.. I'll edit this post in a bit.

http://imgur.com/a/txA6E

Everything except the warhelm is vendor loot - most of the crap is level 7-8 with one level 6 piece in there. But yeah you just have to do a bit of idling to generate those items. I make all the big purchases/steals at level 7.

Last edited by Limz; 29/09/16 07:56 AM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Cleminemi
So, the question is, what is your game plan? Then you can answer what properly geared means to you.

Exactly. That was the point I was trying to make I guess. And not every game plan should be easily attainable. Some goals you mention are perfect examples.

And my point is this; most people have game plans that require them to have foreknowledge or really good game sense because the EA system hides certain information leaving it to be discovered, as a result some of the more 'basic' things have higher gold costs. For example, building an actual tank is VERY expensive and if you do that then you won't really have enough gold for anything else. You'll be spending way over 1,000g on just the tank alone and he/she won't even be fully equipped. Hence, the economy is kind of fucked for something so basic as that whereas it's actually easier to get a murder machine out - you only need 300g-500g.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I think I understand your point now, but then it is more about game balance than economy I would say. And making different strategies viable. If building a tank takes a lot of resources, then it is no problem if it is very good - the rest of the party will be weaker, but that doesn't matter. You have probably analysed the numbers a lot deeper than me, so I believe you if you say it needs tweaking.

In the end more extreme game plans / strategies should be harder to accomplish then more basic, mixed strategies. But if it is possible and good enough to beat the game, then I see no problem.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
So he basically he shits on most people on this forum, that's pretty funny.

Limz, at what point does this happen? I'm pretty sure I listened to the whole thing, and I didn't catch what you're referring to.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Rube

Limz, at what point does this happen? I'm pretty sure I listened to the whole thing, and I didn't catch what you're referring to.

My bad. I should have written he shits on most of the arguments on this forum; a lot of the stuff some of the vocal people say run opposite of this guy's opinions of things from armor, attribute allocation, power levels, and what not.

S
S
I stopped listening when he falsely said that you need to put stats into a point to 'stay where you were before'
Within a few hours I knew that wasn't true, even if it felt odd to me.

okay maybe I didn't stop listening, but I stopped thinking he was as awesome as the OP built him up to be.

because I'm currently still listening, but it's a bit long and specific in my taste.

Last edited by Surrealialis; 29/09/16 03:49 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Surrealialis
I stopped listening when he falsely said that you need to put stats into a point to 'stay where you were before'

He is not wrong, weapons improve but the character at most stays as strong as he was or gets weaker.

Doesn't matter though the devs have already confirmed that they are changing it.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Rube

My bad. I should have written he shits on most of the arguments on this forum; a lot of the stuff some of the vocal people say run opposite of this guy's opinions of things from armor, attribute allocation, power levels, and what not.

Ah, yeah. I don't have enough insight to effectively critique his points yet, but I don't think having a different opinion from some vocal forum members really equates to "shitting on the forum".

S
S
Originally Posted by SacredDark

He is not wrong, weapons improve but the character at most stays as strong as he was or gets weaker.

Doesn't matter though the devs have already confirmed that they are changing it.

Except it is completely wrong.
In the same post the devs said they would change it they also confirmed that players skill and ability damage scaled with level. So a level 2 character with 12 points in strength will do LESS damage than a level 3 character with 12 points in strength using the same warfare skill. This is contrary to what many people believe at first blush and was where he was incorrect or ill-informed. I figured this out within an hour or two of playing and is the reason why I felt he did not deserve such a lofty status as was bestowed by the OP.
A guy with lots of time to make videos does not mean expert opinion. He does make a lot of other relevant points, but let's be honest, so do many of the trolls on the forums.

addict
addict
He does make a lot of other relevant points, but let's be honest, so do many of the trolls on the forums.

That seems like a contradiction. If they're making relevant points, don't see how they're a troll?

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S

Utterly incorrect. I wrote a post spcifically how to get a whole bunch of money in alpha. Its a method available from lv 1 and does not require investing a single point in thievery, (but will generate more if you do).

If you are interested the thread is called "how to steal fort joy". Just because you have not been able to get money does not mean its not possible to get money.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Utterly incorrect. I wrote a post spcifically how to get a whole bunch of money in alpha. Its a method available from lv 1 and does not require investing a single point in thievery, (but will generate more if you do).

If you are interested the thread is called "how to steal fort joy". Just because you have not been able to get money does not mean its not possible to get money.

Spoiler alert: Despite your thread, the economy is still fucked and needs changes. That is because it's the alpha. Balance problems are expected. Tweaks and changes are essentially guaranteed.

Last edited by Stabbey; 30/09/16 02:06 PM. Reason: alpha

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard