Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Originally Posted by Regicide

This is incredibly untrue. Serves only hetero male titillation? Come on dude, this world is not a drab palette of black and white, it might be easier if it was, but it certainly isn't the case.

As a professional designer and illustrator, I am aware of this. I am also aware of the need to know my client's target audience, and design for the broadest appeal. Certain design philosophies cater overwhelmingly to one segment of the audience over another, and it's not really that difficult to come up with striking designs that don't revolve around T&A.

If so every girl that ever wore any sort of clothing that ... strawman strawman strawman strawman...strawman? Strawman Strawman! Strawman

Your opinion on these matters is all fine and good, but none of it really pertains to this thread. It doesn't matter that one person may or may not be bothered by it. It matters that a lot of people definitely are, and that the person who started this thread who has the same right to EA feedback as you do, was potentially bothered by it.

What someone prefers a character to be dressed like is irrelevant.

Precedent for this franchise, and the developer invitation to feedback from all EA participants, suggest you are mistaken.

I personally am someone who does prefer armour that covers all the importants and could be seen as armour that would work in real life, but if a developer doesn't want to go down that route i am not going to tell them they should be doing it my way.

You're a swell fellow for letting Larian make their own decisions, and I'm sure they appreciate it. However your preferences, like my own, are not universally representative of the entire game audience.

The fact is some people *are* going to express opinions on this subject, and the great thing is, there's nothing whatesoever you can do to stop it. Isn't that a great, liberating feeling? That that need you feel to try to shut down discussions you don't approve of is completely futile--a waste of energy better put into other endeavors?

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Rube

This is incredibly untrue. Serves only hetero male titillation? Come on dude, this world is not a drab palette of black and white, it might be easier if it was, but it certainly isn't the case.

As a professional designer and illustrator, I am aware of this. I am also aware of the need to know my client's target audience, and design for the broadest appeal. Certain design philosophies cater overwhelmingly to one segment of the audience over another, and it's not really that difficult to come up with striking designs that don't revolve around T&A.

If so every girl that ever wore any sort of clothing that ... strawman strawman strawman strawman...strawman? Strawman Strawman! Strawman

Your opinion on these matters is all fine and good, but none of it really pertains to this thread. It doesn't matter that one person may or may not be bothered by it. It matters that a lot of people definitely are, and that the person who started this thread who has the same right to EA feedback as you do, was potentially bothered by it.

What someone prefers a character to be dressed like is irrelevant.

Precedent for this franchise, and the developer invitation to feedback from all EA participants, suggest you are mistaken.

I personally am someone who does prefer armour that covers all the importants and could be seen as armour that would work in real life, but if a developer doesn't want to go down that route i am not going to tell them they should be doing it my way.

You're a swell fellow for letting Larian make their own decisions, and I'm sure they appreciate it. However your preferences, like my own, are not universally representative of the entire game audience.

The fact is some people *are* going to express opinions on this subject, and the great thing is, there's nothing whatsoever you can do to stop it. Isn't that a great, liberating feeling? That that need you feel to try to shut down discussions you don't approve of is completely futile--a waste of energy better put into other endeavors?

This has been an enjoyable and insightful conversation but i feel it's coming to a close, mostly due to your rising hostilities and i have no intention of participating in a shitfight.

As I've previously said i'm not trying in any way to shut down any conversations (the bit where i said the stuff about marshmallows and fires), people can discuss whatever they like whenever they like. If anything we two have been fanning the flames of this conversation almost exclusively. Freedom of speech and all that jazz.

Anyways thanks for the responses, its been fun smile

Last edited by Regicide; 29/09/16 10:19 AM.
addict
addict

enthusiast
enthusiast
No matter what happens, Larian can't please everyone with everything they do.
Which is precisely why they shouldn't try, especially on issues that are 'political' and not related to gameplay.

Original Sin suffered from it's attempts late in development to appease the 'That's <thing>-ist!' people.
There's a clear artistic vision for the elves, and every other race for that matter, and it should not be interfered with.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Solution: Rename Elves to Dryads.

That's what they look like, anyway.

addict
addict
That would genuinely be an improvement.

S
S
I'm sad they never look substantial. I at least want my heavy armor to look heavy and oaken or at least more than rags draping me and blowing around in imaginary winds.

O
stranger
stranger
O
Old topic necro. Just had to say Rube sounds like a prude. Some people aren't afraid of sexuality, usually because they possess it. Unfortunately because of prudes you can't show ANY skin or you are sexist. This argument can literally go on forever. Women like guys with abs (usually) and men like boobs and butts (usually, I like a toned midriff on my ladies.) Im not saying a chainmail bikini is practical (or tasteful for that matter) but if they wanna show it let them. I've seen it on both ends, overly muscular dudes and buxom ladies. The BEST option would be to give players more options on body selection and attire so we could all be happy, but that won't happen. (without the wonderful modding communities) The WORST thing you can do is cry because it doesn't match your tastes. Specially a minuscule issue as elves showing a little more skin. (It creates diversity in the style of the characters.) Seeing as how 90% of the armors in this game are tasteful and practical, I'm pretty sure there is something else going on that would cause you to QQ.

I only bring this up and necro this thread because BG3 is the polar opposite. I literally haven't seen any real style or diversity in the armor selection (I know it's EA, but the lack of style is clear). Everything looks like they took it out of LOTR. Hopefully modding tools will allow CREATIVE people to make what we want. You probably think Laezels armor is sexist too. YOU CAN SEE HER LEGS. Get over it. You wanna see the same bland crap on everyone with no sex appeal or style, go play Mount and Blade or something. The rest of us will enjoy every flavor the world has to offer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard