Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Q
apprentice
apprentice
Q
Originally Posted by Pyrofox
I like it personally, it lets me get into character more because I don't have to say something my character wouldn't actually say. Instead I can choose the tone or implication and fill in the blanks with my imagination.

I don't give my money to RPG developers so that I can then write the dialog for them.

I give it to them assuming they will hire professionals who will produce something beyond my skill level.

Larian went and hired one of the best in the business.

And then they turn around and give us what is to me, the worst format for dialog ever to appear in an RPG.

I hate it.

Spam 1. and hope for the best is the only option right now.

journeyman
journeyman
I think one of the worst aspects of this is the asterisks at the beginning and end of each line, it makes the sentence harder to grasp.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Plumpbiscuit
I think one of the worst aspects of this is the asterisks at the beginning and end of each line, it makes the sentence harder to grasp.

It also makes it look like some teenager facebook-rp.

Really hate the whole idea behind it.

veteran
veteran
I think one reason why they're doing vague dialogue is because there are 4 characters right now, potentially up to 10 by the final version, each of which are going to have their own history and personality. Plus there's also generic characters with no specific history and personality.

Writing each and every dialogue option in 4 different ways to match specific characters would be a lot of work, never mind 10-11 different ways.

Writing one specific generic response to try to cover all possible characters would just serve to make that character (all characters) seem more generic.

I like it much better than being given a number of pre determined lines to say.

Instead of having a choice "You drunken sod, get on your feet" - the line "You tell him in no uncertain ways to move", gives me the option to "roleplay" in my head exactly how I would phrase it given the character I have chosen to be.

So for me the sentence will be "GET ON YOUR FEET you drunken no good slob."

Much better.

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
Originally Posted by Qiox

I don't give my money to RPG developers so that I can then write the dialog for them.

I give it to them assuming they will hire professionals who will produce something beyond my skill level.

Larian went and hired one of the best in the business.

And then they turn around and give us what is to me, the worst format for dialog ever to appear in an RPG.

I hate it.

Spam 1. and hope for the best is the only option right now.

You are being a bit harsh here aren't you?

RANT 1:
Not quite in tow with all the complaints on this forum about "I want to immerse myself and customize everything to my liking. And then I want to have access to the best gear and most gold right from the start because I want to win all my fights without having to be bothered with planning or even being tactical".

(Not saying it is you who said these things. I'm only generalizing - which is probably the safest way to be flamed ...)

Great last words.

Oh no. Not again...
S
stranger
stranger
S
These are obviously placeholders, you can easily figure that out by trying to speak with a companion where you can see that the ideas themselves are missing, or notice how some of the dialogue with the Red Prince has actually written lines. Can't believe that people actually think that this is legit dialogue.

This "I like this" or "I don't like this" ordeal is pointless because these placeholders will not remain at the end.

To not even mention that this is exactly how you write properly. You write down a basic reaction to what a character said, and think of the proper writing afterwards.

I have also worked in the QA environment and this is how developers do the writing in RPGs in general as a bonus.

And then there's people who pay for an Early Access Alpha video game, and expect everything to be implemented already, in an RPG. Amazing...ly stupid if you ask me.

Last edited by Seethe; 02/10/16 04:27 PM.
veteran
veteran
I suggest you read these 4 pages of replies since, no, they're not placeholders.

EDIT: Or even better, the interview with Swen, who without any doubt confirms... These Are NOT Placeholders.

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 02/10/16 05:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

EDIT: Or even better, the interview with Swen, who without any doubt confirms... These Are NOT Placeholders.

What interview? Can you link it, or tell me what site it's on? I'd love to see it.

veteran
veteran

stranger
stranger
At first I wasn't a fan of the third person dialogue either, but I think it allows you to roleplay better. It requires a bit of getting used to, and perhaps the asterisks should be replaced, but I like the new system of dialogue.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I agree!

journeyman
journeyman
Personality from characters comes from what they say and what they do, it it difficult to create a defining personality and build a development for a character when they are being described vaguely. Actual lines being read/(voiced), to me, is more immersive and roleplay friendly than some mysterious narrator dictating who says what in what manner, it makes the world feel a little more empty when there is little to no narrative being detailed.

Even if they took out the asterisks, even then, it would be still just as difficult to distinguish 3rd from 1st person.

S
stranger
stranger
S
That is terrible then. Lots of people think that these are placeholders. That should be a clear sign for them that the dialogue is in a bad state if that's how it works.

Last edited by Seethe; 02/10/16 10:01 PM.
Q
apprentice
apprentice
Q
What I find far more telling is the fact that nearly half of all responses to this topic of discussion here and on Steam is the idea that is just has to be placeholder text.

That many people immediately jumping to the conclusion that it's not real dialog is a clear indication of just how bad it is.

Last edited by Qiox; 03/10/16 01:10 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
1. [Intimidation] *Tells the thread occupants that their arguments are all trash and bring up a perfectly curated counter-example after dousing face with water and slamming a nearby table.*

addict
addict
1. The arguments of the thread occupants are trash! (Aggressively slam the table and bring up a perfectly curated counter-example.)

R
stranger
stranger
R
2. Hold your tongue for now, relazing that arguing will only make it worse. Eventually they will come around and realize that indirect dialogue is a far better way.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I still don't get the resistance to the current dialogue setup. It lets you fill in the blanks, like you're reading a book, and it uses asterisks for third person, which was the standard fare for many years in many classic RPGs, including Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and the critically acclaimed masterpiece Planescape: Torment. The options they give you still reflect a sense of humor, from the Rogue option that saves Elodi to the Jester dialogues throughout the game, they still reflect great writing and say things I wouldn't have thought of, and as a bonus, they don't do it in a way that I could see being out of character, or weirdly worded, or any number of other complaints that I had with the previous system. I've yet to see anything bad about the new system when I compare it to the old one, and most of the opinions in this thread are things like

Originally Posted by mindw0rk
I feel they are unnecessary and just make dialogues clunky and difficult to read

which is not my experience at all,

Originally Posted by kuv
This kind of dialogue makes me feel distant from my character

although it makes it much easier for me to connect to mine,

Originally Posted by mindw0rk
there are tons of words and texts that bring no value

which I cannot find an example of,

Originally Posted by Qiox
It constantly pushes me out of immersion

which, once again, has never been the case for me, as it makes me feel more connected to my character than when they are saying something specific. As an example, when my character says something like "Clean the wax out of your ears, and I'll tell you all about it!" after killing the ghoul that guards the lighthouse. My character is a psychopath. They kill guards for the thrill of it, they loot people's houses for money, and they are constantly foiling quests such as the Mayor's quest, and Desdemona's quest. I want to tell them about it, but certainly not in a buddy-buddy way that makes my character seem eager. In a third person dialogue system, that is no longer an issue, as I can just "tell them the story in grueling detail", which is exactly what I wanted to do. I want to tell them all about it, then tell the Captain that I did all the work when they take credit. Because that is what my psychopath character would do, and did do.

Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
it feels distant, inpersonal, like you're just an impartial observator rather than that character

Well, I find myself able to get into it. I find that third person allows me to play the character from their own perspective. In real life, I don't think "I'm going to say 'My, what a fine blouse that is! Back in my grandmother's day, that style was quite popular, as the waves of Irish immigrants into the area where she lived caused it to really be the thing back in the day!' " I think to myself, "say something about her top and how it looks like my grandmother's". With third person dialogue, I feel as though I can say what they are thinking, or what they intend to say, not what specifically comes out of their mouth. Because I often don't want to do that.

The list of arguments that I feel does not apply to me or that I cannot sympathize with just goes on.

Only Lightzy's example, from Planescape Torment, is something I can get behind. Torment had amazing characters, and I really felt like I was playing one. This is probably why tag lines are specific, and not third person: because playing a specific character a specific way is the intention there. When writing lines to fit all playstyles, I find that third person dialogue just works so much better for me personally, and really hope that they keep the style the way it is.

But, as with everyone else here, this is merely my opinion. And that is all I can offer. I like that people are giving specific reasons as to why they have their opinions, though. It offers me a great deal of perspective when trying to see where they are coming from.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard