Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
I enjoy the lore behind the elves, what i'm not a fan of is the armor they wear. It gives me PTSD of the Sylvari from Guild Wars after they changed them from elves to leafy green vegetables.

So as the topic title says, will they be stuck forever in tree bark throughout the game or is it possible to put them in some normal plate armor? I see NPC walking around in some cool armor that has tabards and cloaks build in to the model. It's very nice looking.

If not I might have to roll a Human instead.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
Depends. The elf design is wild, and while I dig it I also uh... don't want to play one. I've heard similar things said around here and among my friends. It's nifty, and certainly is different, but the elf armour is NUTS and not everyone's on board.

I wouldn't mind cosmetics, but all the armour is rigged up to the character models, so they'd probably have to redo it. We also haven't seen anything but the beginning designs, so they could change as you get more powerful. It's about the only hot button topic here, so I'm sure Larian's looking at it. Ya might be out of luck, though.

A
addict
addict
A
Pretty much what the guy above said.

L
stranger
stranger
L
The closest normal armor for elf I've seen in the game is only character preview for battlemage, i hope we get to see more of these armors.

veteran
veteran
Yes - once you use mods. meh

Last edited by LordCrash; 02/10/16 12:13 PM.

WOOS
S
veteran
veteran
S
Now heres an insidious one:

The other threads have worked. At the end of the day the other threads about this worked.
In almost all of those threads the majority of people said that they like the elven armors as they are.
But by making multiple threads and many 1 post accounts the message has gotten across that a significant portion of the playerbase is not happy with the elven armor design, a statement that is not true in the slightest.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Sordak
Now heres an insidious one:

The other threads have worked. At the end of the day the other threads about this worked.
In almost all of those threads the majority of people said that they like the elven armors as they are.
But by making multiple threads and many 1 post accounts the message has gotten across that a significant portion of the playerbase is not happy with the elven armor design, a statement that is not true in the slightest.

That's a mildly terrifying thought...would people really be that determined?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Yes - once you use mods.

I hope that's true. Not because I want to change the elven costumes, particularly, I think it's cool that they're different; but because I enjoy doing random 3D modding and didn't figure out how to do so in D:OS, if indeed it is even possible.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Do we seriously need another one, when already having the absolute crapthread http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=590462#Post590462 on page 1 aswell, also the stance one...

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Part of me thinks the ideas are different enough to warrant different topics, but I do wonder if it might be helpful to merge the assorted elven armour threads if the replies gravitate towards the same debate.

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
beeing more cynical i think that opening multiple threads is an attempt at astroturfing, making it appear as tho the idea is more popular than it actually is.

Due to there beeing several one post accounts about this topic i would not be surprised if this was the case.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Due to there beeing several one post accounts about this topic i would not be surprised if this was the case.

As far as I've seen this hasn't actually happened, thankfully. Hopefully the sock-puppetry that I've occasionally seen elsewhere won't be a thing but we do keep an eye out for it.

J'aime le fromage.
G
journeyman
journeyman
G
beeing more cynical i think that opening multiple threads is an attempt at astroturfing, making it appear as tho the idea is more popular than it actually is.

Yes I'm sure it's a giant conspiracy instead of the elf design being wild and not exactly what people might've been expecting.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
As you can see many people dislike this "forced aesthetic". Games today are leaning more and more towards letting you customize your character, and here Larian completely takes that away, so.. Makes sense.

I also would much prefer my elf to have chainmail on instead of leaves bullshit

A
stranger
stranger
A
I disagree. I actually really like the style of elven armour, especially cloth armour. If I were to express a desire for a change I'd like to see more details on heavier armour pieces for elves, much similar to what we saw in the concept art.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Originally Posted by Grondoth

Yes I'm sure it's a giant conspiracy instead of the elf design being wild and not exactly what people might've been expecting.

"Muh conspiracy theory"

Actually no it just takes one disgruntled user to pull that off.
Hence why im saying its astroturfing.

There is no large group in favor of this. its 3 or 4 users that keep going on about this non issue.
Its not like this hasnt happened before *cough* Wildstar.

enthusiast
enthusiast

So far, I've counted the people in this thread that disagree with the aesthetic:

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

There may be a very real concern here.

N
N
Originally Posted by SlamPow

So far, I've counted the people in this thread that disagree with the aesthetic:

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

It's also quite telling that I've seen none of this sort of posturing or angle on the steam forums at all, instead they are opting to come to these smaller, less populated forums that they know the devs also read to try and directly voice these specific view points without heavy opposition.

addict
addict

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

I don't really feel the need to add my 2 cents to every single topic on the subject. There's only so many times I can agree with something and so much energy I can put into fighting the same fight. (I don't like the elf design.)

Larian should have experience with managing these kinds of subjects/business decisions in order to move in a direction that's right for their game.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Ayvah

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

I don't really feel the need to add my 2 cents to every single topic on the subject. There's only so many times I can agree with something and so much energy I can put into fighting the same fight. (I don't like the elf design.)

Larian should have experience with managing these kinds of subjects/business decisions in order to move in a direction that's right for their game.

Ya know, many people would of been fine as long as your reasoning was simply "I don't like it"? Bringing politics into it was the real issues people had with it.

Also, while I can show patience and respect to people voicing their complaints, that patience is worn thin when we have another thread about the same topic with the same basic arguments popping up over and over again. I'd've never blown my top if all these threads would just stay merged and in one place.

Also, I've followed this "conversation" topic for a bit, and even including you and the others that come up every once in a while: *shrug* you're still the minority. Not everyone particuarly likes the armor design (*raising hand*) but we also don't necessarily think it needs to be changed. More options would also be an improvement, but I also wouldn't argue for it being a priority at this exact moment.

Edit: Also, when it's an account with almost no posts to it's name, it gives the impression of a sock puppet being made to artificially inflate numbers or that the person has no interest in anything other than pushing a very specific mindset onto others. Building up some credence and showing that your more than a one dimensional persona that only spills rhetoric goes a long way to making others listen more. Not that I'm implying anything to you specifically, mind

Last edited by aj0413; 02/10/16 10:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard