L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Originally Posted by Sordak
Now heres an insidious one:

The other threads have worked. At the end of the day the other threads about this worked.
In almost all of those threads the majority of people said that they like the elven armors as they are.
But by making multiple threads and many 1 post accounts the message has gotten across that a significant portion of the playerbase is not happy with the elven armor design, a statement that is not true in the slightest.

Or, I just made the account to ask if there was any word on Elves getting normal looking armor. Like I said, I enjoy the lore behind him (gain memories via eating the flesh of others). I just really dislike that they're one of the oldest races supposidly but haven't come up with anything more... elegant than tree bark armor, especially heavy armor for a Knight. It's full of gaps and bareskin, not very protective....

Granted it's only the starting armor, but even level 5 NPC that have tabards and cloaks on their armor to jazz it up a bit. Elves get flowers sprouting from their armor or headpieces that make them look ridiculous.

Also, i opened another one as browsing the other thread briefly it was about the skimpyness in female armor. Which is not what my problem with the armor is. My problem is it's random patches of tree bark. period. People get way too defensive when someone else has a different opinion than them. Jesus.

Is having the ability to wear different style of armor that earth shattering to some people?

Had no idea a simple question about if they'd be able to wear normal style armor at some point was taboo. Relax people.

Last edited by Luuin; 03/10/16 12:43 AM.
Support
Support

It's kind of a moot point now, but FWIW there are many more new accounts being created than new posters posting, and announcements and updates, etc, cause spikes in new forum accounts.

Kickstarter updates, Twitter replies, etc, all point to this forum as the best place to give feedback (and also FWIW, the arguments that can sometimes cause has also resulted in a couple people asking if there is an alternate way to provide feedback).

While it is possible for someone to create multiple accounts, posts about this are entirely consistent with multiple people not bothering to search before posting, or (as in this case) wanting to address something more specific or from a different angle.
As far as someone only having 1 post goes, there are many new accounts with only 1 post, on many different subjects. A few are possible spammers, some got an answer, a couple maybe didn't realize they would provoke an argument, a few probably finished the Early Access part of the game and are just not checking the forum again until there is another game update, etc.

Generally, if someone posts about something that has been discussed before, replying with links to a couple of the most relevant topics will tend to divert the discussion to those topics.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ayvah
Originally Posted by SlamPow
So far, I've counted the people in this thread that disagree with the aesthetic:

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

There may be a very real concern here.

I don't really feel the need to add my 2 cents to every single topic on the subject. There's only so many times I can agree with something and so much energy I can put into fighting the same fight. (I don't like the elf design.)

Larian should have experience with managing these kinds of subjects/business decisions in order to move in a direction that's right for their game.

I believe you misunderstand me, sir. The "very real concern" in question was that astroturfing was at play. I did not mean for that to come off as a sarcastic remark. My apologies.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Grondoth
beeing more cynical i think that opening multiple threads is an attempt at astroturfing, making it appear as tho the idea is more popular than it actually is.

Due to there beeing several one post accounts about this topic i would not be surprised if this was the case.

Yes I'm sure it's a giant conspiracy instead of the elf design being wild and not exactly what people might've been expecting.

So far, I've counted the people in this thread that disagree with the aesthetic:

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

I can see you doing the "If I close my eyes and play pretend! I can totally see that nobody ever posts about this in these forums! There haven't been many posts about this from as soon as Alpha released! NO! My bubble" dance

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lightzy
Originally Posted by Grondoth
beeing more cynical i think that opening multiple threads is an attempt at astroturfing, making it appear as tho the idea is more popular than it actually is.

Due to there beeing several one post accounts about this topic i would not be surprised if this was the case.

Yes I'm sure it's a giant conspiracy instead of the elf design being wild and not exactly what people might've been expecting.

#1 Luuin
#2 Lightzy

I can see you doing the "If I close my eyes and play pretend! I can totally see that nobody ever posts about this in these forums! There haven't been many posts about this from as soon as Alpha released! NO! My bubble" dance

Have you seen the other threads? They are full of people debating the original poster. From what I have seen, there is maybe one supporter of the notion of sexism being present in the design per page of replies. Try counting them yourself. I'm not exactly in a bubble here; two people over the course of two pages of replies hardly even constitutes an appreciable minority. Have you seen posts on the steam forums about this? On Reddit? Twitter? The facebook page? This forum is the only place I have seen people complain about it, and so far it has amounted to a whopping five people, amongst seven pages of discussion over two threads. The most you can say in defense of discussing the issue is that people are mentioning very real concerns of another nature, namely that the armor looks quite skimpy and nothing like armor at all, really. Those people constitute a vocal minority, but again, they are just that - a minority. The topic being discussed in the other thread, at this point, isn't even whether the armor is acceptable. It's whether or not certain statements are sexist, certain things are sexist, certain ways of thinking are sexist. Whether or not it's okay to be offended, and whether or not such feelings are valid. Unless you can prove to me otherwise, I am going to treat this as a non-issue, because all I am hearing a little bit of complaining and a whole lot of resistance every time this is brought up.

Edit: I just realized I am replying as if this is the other thread. My bad. Yeah, it may be an issue. But I still only see two posters in the entire thread for, versus about a page total of replies against. The fact that people get tired of voicing their opinion applies to both sides of the argument, and while I understand that the numbers aren't necessarily representative of popular opinion on the subject, this issue has not come up on Steam, Facebook, Twitter, Kickstarter, or anywhere else I browse, for that matter.

Last edited by SlamPow; 03/10/16 11:08 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N

L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Jesus christ people, my issue is not that it's sexual but that's it's impractical. I play male characters and like I've said before, their legs are covered by 1 thigh plate and the rest of their leg is exposed. Same with their stomach and arms.

I just wanted to know if they could wear normal plate armor or if they were stuck in their racial tree bark armor for the entirety of the game. It's a simple question and I know it might not be known since it's just chapter one of alpha, but I asked since maybe someone found something I didn't and it was more fitting.

Also to make awareness to the devs that you can do "Wild Elf" armor without it be completely exposed when it's plate armor supposedly: http://www.kekaiart.com/uploads/5/4/7/6/5476798/8090673_orig.jpg

I made this topic since the other one is people being triggered by women in bikinis. I'm being triggered by impracticality. They're a long lived people, you'd think they would have better designed armor that didn't have so many fleshy bits exposed that could be stabbed or slashed.

But again, it was just a simple question if they could wear non-racial armor at some point. And people went nuts.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry. Managing two seperate but very similar threads is harder to do than my brain is willing to at the moment.

S
veteran
veteran
S
I dont believe you.

dont blame me, blame tumblr, blame te people that have poisoned the well by caling anyone that disagrees with them sexist.

I dont care about your opinion.
Impractical is not an argument at all. Plenty of things in this game are impractical yet i dont see a thread about this.
i dont see anyone complaining abou tteleporting crocodiles.

Why not? because it doesnt fit some moronic agenda. An agenda you are pushing. you are merely hiding behind the pretense of realism. but your lack or participation in threads about teleporting crocodiles and burning pigs clearly shows that you are just a prude.
realism doesnt concern you. you are here for your agenda and nothing else at all.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
What the fuck dude

L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
I dont believe you.

dont blame me, blame tumblr, blame te people that have poisoned the well by caling anyone that disagrees with them sexist.

I dont care about your opinion.
Impractical is not an argument at all. Plenty of things in this game are impractical yet i dont see a thread about this.
i dont see anyone complaining abou tteleporting crocodiles.

Why not? because it doesnt fit some moronic agenda. An agenda you are pushing. you are merely hiding behind the pretense of realism. but your lack or participation in threads about teleporting crocodiles and burning pigs clearly shows that you are just a prude.
realism doesnt concern you. you are here for your agenda and nothing else at all.

IDGAF if you believe me or not.

I don't play a female character so... why the hell would I care if they're in a see through nighty if that was a thing in the game (hint, I wouldn't). It's plate armor and they have more exposed skin than covered, on a male.

P.L.A.T.E armor. I don't have an issue with the leather models because they're supposed to be lightweight and easy to move in.

I'd be happy if they put in some bulkier plate armor, yes, but i even said in my original post that worst case is I'd just roll a human character.

It was a harmless question about if they would be able to wear non-racial type armors and people flipped out so I explained why I prefered something different than the plate they have now

Calm down before you hurt yourself.

Last edited by Luuin; 03/10/16 08:42 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I dunno, Luuin. I personally like that my elf knight has impenetrable fortified areolas.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I agree with the OP. Didn't want to comment in the other threads about it since most of them delved into it being sexist and crap and I couldn't tell if people were just trolling or not. I think their armors look weird. I like that they decided to change the elves a bit, I just don't really like the art direction they have picked for them. I think maybe because they also look so outlandish compared to every other race/character in the game. It feels to me like they don't belong.
I'm sure some people like it. Larian also might decide that they like it and not change it and I'll live with it but just wanted to voice my opinion.

L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
I dunno, Luuin. I personally like that my elf knight has impenetrable fortified areolas.

https://i.redd.it/z9ckfxoc19ex.jpg

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Luuin

https://i.redd.it/z9ckfxoc19ex.jpg

Haha, perfect! I too like being able to stop a blade with nothing but a bared teat.

Have to say I also really dislike the elven "design". Lacks too much creativity imho. How to give elves a distinct yet not hilarious theme shows for example The Dark Eye RPG.

Think for yourself! Or others will do it...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Seelenernter
How to give elves a distinct yet not hilarious theme shows for example The Dark Eye RPG.

Google is failling to return me any results of elves specifically from that game, I think. I keep seeing this archer chick in a plain red/green tunic, but I can't tell if she's a pointy-ear folk or not. Could you pretty please link an example that is, in your opinion, representative of what you want to show us?

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
What I am just wondering... Why does everyone assume that elves are made of flesh and blood like humans? For me it looks rather that they are made of "wood" themselves, so more like ents from the lord of the rings. ;-)

T
stranger
stranger
T
whats wrong with more options for customization and roleplaying?

its also really weird cause,,,, sebile wears a "normal" attire in the loading screen and her origin voice-over, so at the very least we have 1 model-set for armor that looks normal on (females)elves

and while its understandable that elves that live in their secluded groups would maintain their fashion and such, its VERY weird to see elves in big cities covered in leaves, vines and twigs

i honestly have no plans to play as an elf for now, cause the way armor/robes look on them just... i just cant deal with it

Last edited by TKDancer; 28/09/17 11:00 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Woah that's an old thread.

And personaly I think you're right.
In the end, more Customization options is always good (in a single player game)

I tried to make a cool towering elf too.
Black skin, white hair, your usual "dark elf" with a dash of necro/warfare.
Imlerith 2.0 if you will.

But Imlerith would have looked silly with just some leaves and twigs covering his heavy armored ass.

And that's exactly what happened to my elf, even with a "full plate" armor.

Not really fit for a frontline melee fighter, so I deleted him and made an heavy armored lizard instead. That's cool too. biggrin

Sauce Hunter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard