Print Thread
#575229 12/11/15 05:03 AM
D
Daelus1 Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Gotta be honest here, game has an old time D&D feel t it, but not even that save it from its ultimate flaws. Started my Honour run a couple days back; killed after a few hours first time; make it about 15 hours the next time.....no halfway decent designer, even if there were no ironman mode in the game, would make every 2nd encounter be able to 1-shot THE WHOLE PARTY.....WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??!! 1-shot a single player is unlucky, but all good games allow for it....this....this is beyond bad design....the whole party can get 1-shotted by a dozen different things on THE EASIEST MODE....without the ability to fight back (Wandering Eyes) or properly prepare as the camera angles are straight out of 2000......stick to PCs and leave real gamers alone.....end rant.

Daelus1 #575231 12/11/15 05:17 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
As fun as I find the statement "Stick to PCs and leave real gamers alone, it isn't enough to completely ignore the rest of your post.

Yes I do feel the game isn't balanced enough for the honour mode, getting one shotted from Braxxus Rex meteorstrike has probably happened to lot of people and trial and error unless using safe tactics seem to be common.

Daelus1 #575232 12/11/15 05:21 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Brilliant thread.

"Real" gamers...

Bye, kid.

Daelus1 #575236 12/11/15 05:56 AM
veteran
veteran
It sounds like you're a console gamer by the "stick to PC's comment. That strongly suggests that you never played D:OS 1 at all.

So what did you do? You jumped right into an unknown game on the ultimate difficulty, the one which has the same features as Tactical difficulty, except with permadeath. You, someone with no experience with the game at all, you, who chose to play on a mode with permadeath, are complaining that you were not able to blindly rampage through the game on the hardest-difficulty-mode-with-permadeath and beat it on your second try.

You are an idiot.

Daelus1 #575244 12/11/15 08:08 AM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Bye-bye.

Personally, I'm still having fun with the game, though. smile

Daelus1 #575245 12/11/15 08:20 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So, you played the game on the hardest difficulty and got killed at least twice? Small tipp: if it doesn't work in one region, look for another, where the enemys are weaker. You need to have some patience, but that's part of the fun of the game.

Daelus1 #575246 12/11/15 09:14 AM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Shouldn't "real gamers" be playing fallout 4 now and swallowing whatever toddler gives them?

Daelus1 #575252 12/11/15 10:54 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
As is so often the case, I'm having one of those "not sure if serious" moments, though if I were a betting girl I'd say we've been had.

Edit: I'm playing FO4 myself on and off, and have been killed to death several times already, because it's what I do.

Last edited by Vometia; 12/11/15 10:56 AM.

J'aime le fromage.
Daelus1 #575261 12/11/15 02:37 PM
stranger
stranger
Oh dear, please don't take OP as the _average_ console gamer. I'm primarily a console gamer and this thread offends me just as much.

Daelus1 #575263 12/11/15 02:42 PM
journeyman
journeyman
1. If you end up in a situation where your enemies can oneshot your whole group you decided to face a challenge which is not meant for your current power. There are many areas in the game. Try to do some questing, craft better gear and search other areas. There are a handful of special occasions which can kill your party instantly if you didn't prepare for them though. Like exploding barrels. You need to notice such things and many of the characters ingame will tell you about such traps. This game is for real gamers who actually know how to use their brains, not wannabees who wouldn't even reach gold rank playing starcraft II.
2. By your definition "real gamers" are gamers who are bad at playing games and using advanced tactics in battles. (you can combo so many things and almost every fight has some special things you can do to prepare for it, for example putting a barrel in between you and your enemy rangers to make them hit the barrel instead of you, etc.) Those console wannabee gamers are not "real gamers". If you were a real gamer you wouldn't be bad enough to have your whole party die in one hit. wink You would need to go for a REALLY squishy party for that to happen. Or run into traps which you would know about if you payed attention.

Not every console gamer is a bad player. But console games are generally not much about thinking, tactics and strategy. All major strategy games are PC only and so are most more complex RPGs like this one. -> Many console players think something like Call of Duty would require strategy while they never played any strategy game in their whole life. Hence many console gamers are neither "real gamers" nor "good players". wink

Last edited by Everfades; 12/11/15 02:46 PM.
Daelus1 #575270 12/11/15 03:33 PM
veteran
veteran
You're not good enough to beat the game on highest difficulty? That's the reason why the game is bad?

LOL

You know, maybe you should just play the game on normal difficulty like the huge majority of people out there and especially newcomers to the game who don't know its many ways of approaching and overcoming combat situations yet...

Last edited by LordCrash; 12/11/15 03:34 PM.

WOOS
Daelus1 #575272 12/11/15 03:50 PM
C
CK1 Offline
apprentice
apprentice
C
As someone who is on his 15th play of honor (not because I beat it 14 times, but because I died haha), and someone who is a fan of the Souls series... death and failure is something I am accustomed to.

To be fair, there are a LOT of cheap spots in the game and it doesn't really feel "ready" for prime time in honor mode. The tricks I'm using to survive aren't completely lame but they aren't normal at all in the cRPG circles at all (at least regarding navigating past traps). I posted some general honor tips in the Tactician - Am I Free thread so feel free to check that out if you want to.

However, the simplest way to "beat" honor mode on the "first" try is to run tactician and honor in parallel. You play tactician mode to get a general feel for the major pitfalls, get to a checkpoint. Run your honor game and get to that checkpoint. Will it take twice as long? Yes. Will it be boring? Maybe. Is it better than reloading 3 times? Most definitely! Sadly, I'm a hypocrite here since I am NOT doing that, but I have played the game before so I won't get as blindsided as you have.

Anyway, good luck my friend! If you want to go just single save honor mode, feel free to post on the forums and ask for tips and such!

Daelus1 #575277 12/11/15 05:23 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Always leave behind one of four characters in sneak mode, then send the 3 others into the new area you have no experience of. Then if you fumble and step on a mine, you still have 1 left. Leave one in town permanently, and there is no permadeath either wink

Last edited by aguds; 12/11/15 05:23 PM.
TruthBeTold #575284 12/11/15 06:20 PM
W
stranger
stranger
W
TruthBeTold, thank you for defending the image of console gamers ^^ I'm with you on that one

Daelus1 #575288 12/11/15 07:03 PM
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Honor mode is completely optional.

Super Mario Bros. has a Goomba that will one shot you if you touch it from the side. You encounter this enemy before you have a chance to get any power ups.

Daelus1 #575291 12/11/15 07:49 PM
addict
addict
Aaaah I needed that laugh. Thanks OP. Really.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
Daelus1 #589890 28/09/16 06:57 AM
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Daelus1
Gotta be honest here, game has an old time D&D feel t it, but not even that save it from its ultimate flaws. Started my Honour run a couple days back; killed after a few hours first time; make it about 15 hours the next time.....no halfway decent designer, even if there were no ironman mode in the game, would make every 2nd encounter be able to 1-shot THE WHOLE PARTY.....WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??!! 1-shot a single player is unlucky, but all good games allow for it....this....this is beyond bad design....the whole party can get 1-shotted by a dozen different things on THE EASIEST MODE....without the ability to fight back (Wandering Eyes) or properly prepare as the camera angles are straight out of 2000......stick to PCs and leave real gamers alone.....end rant.

• Honour Mode
  • Ironman
  • Dead Is Dead
  • Trial of Iron
  • No Death Ruleset

Having the entire party die in one cheap blow when everyone is at full life is ridiculous in any type of Ironman mode.

Two shots is acceptable.

In other words I agree with the OP. Honour mode is untested and was designed by someone with no experience with dead is dead rule sets.

Daelus1 #589939 28/09/16 11:15 AM
apprentice
apprentice
LOL. Gotta love the mentally challenged players (#1) that got 'owned', and then come to cry here...

Played Honour Mode 3 times, with different parties (once solo...), fantastic experience.

One thing you said is marginally OK, Larian should focus on PC. Good news though, they are. Did you try DOS 2 (#2)? (I feel I should explain #2 in light of # 1, but hey, no, Darwinian selection... see #3 as well)

Likely, you are in good company. Am I right, luzariuslive (#3)?

luzariuslive #591435 04/10/16 01:50 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by luzariuslive

• Honour Mode
  • Ironman
  • Dead Is Dead
  • Trial of Iron
  • No Death Ruleset

Having the entire party die in one cheap blow when everyone is at full life is ridiculous in any type of Ironman mode.

Two shots is acceptable.

In other words I agree with the OP. Honour mode is untested and was designed by someone with no experience with dead is dead rule sets.

Honour mode isn't untested. Honour mode is also not for casual players. It's meant for people who want a brutal challenge, and get punished for their mistakes. (Yes, most deaths in Honour mode are because you made a mistake, or didn't plan far enough ahead)

Besides, Divinity is VERY lenient in terms of death. It's why you have resurrection scrolls. Dead isn't dead in Rivellon, in more ways than one, actually.

Last edited by vometia; 04/10/16 02:00 PM. Reason: formatting

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard