Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Fyrestorme

You're complaining about what I posted without saying that it's wrong. What's your point??

''What's your point?'' is a weird answer to my question. I just asked a question.

Originally Posted by Kadajko

You're complaining about what I posted without saying that it's wrong. What's your point??

''What's your point?'' is a weird answer to my question. I just asked a question.

Ditto.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Ditto.

- What day is it today?
- What's your point?

How do you believe the first person should respond?

addict
addict
ugh..I hate when I have to be serious. but this topic is getting majorly out of hand.Like for serious people....it's a video game.

Feminists

- They are their own worst enemy and sorry to any ladies who think they are a feminist on here all they do is preach hate . Feminists do not play video games, as most in the feminism movement still view it as a male dominated industry. Now the hipster "ya, I'ma a feminist" do..I am sure I will get tons of flame for this.. but the feminist movement is a cult logic brain washing to spread hate. There have been women who made their place and opened doors for others without man bashing or picking things apart.

humanitarian now these are more people we need. less about stupid gender tags and more about humanity as a whole. ♥

The World

We live on it, is it always fair? nope..I have seen other parts of the world brought up in here. Their culture is their culture.

2. Video games

- So, I feel weird having to explain this..as it should be common sense. Video game's are not real, nor do they express how a company might feel for any gender. Men and Women are placed in various scenarios..I mean I don't complain when I see muscled rawr god of a man on a game cover. It's visual marketing, catching the eye. Same with females on covers or in games. it's marketing...

The elves

*shakes a stick angrily* Elf, Elf, Elf....they are not human, with their lifestyle and lore the armor they wear makes sense.

Example. If you are living in the woods and running around.. do you really want to be in full armor? no..no..plus, flowers and leaf made stuff is like camouflage...also super cute to accessorize other nature treasures with...dang it! now I am jelly beans! Larian..humans need the right to wear Elf armor ;_;

this will be my last post in this topic, as this thread is a mega downer to see constantly brought up. Maybe complaints should get their own sub forum?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ellary
but the feminist movement is a cult logic brain washing to spread hate.

Nah, it's a business. Look at Anita Sarkeesian, swimming in cash, raising unreasonable amounts on bs projects that don't even deliver in the end.

A
addict
addict
A
Y'all are terrible human beings! Look at you making Ellary feel bad! frown

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by aj0413

Hahahaha

Making a move eh? smile

You know i usually dont like to write a lot or speak a lot for that matter. But after this intence disscustions i feel something different, mb cause we touched some sensetive/deep issues here, but i feel like i know some guys already for a long time... kinda team feeling... or maybe cause i read your posts a lot, and there arent many people posting.

Last edited by Testad; 04/10/16 09:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kadajko
Men and women are not equal. For one thing/person/idea to be equal to another, they have to be perfectly identical. There are no two people (regardless of gender) who are equal.

What is the point of pointing out that men and women are not equal if first and foremost no two people are equal to begin with? What practical benefit does a society gain from acknowledging that on average men and women are better in certain spheres if exceptions exist anyway and those exceptions should ideally be able to pursue whatever they feel like pursuing?

"Being equal" is not identical with "Being identical". If two people have the same rights, they are equal regarding the jurisdiction, but they are still not identical. "Equal" means being worth the same, not being the same.

The benefit of acknowledging that people are not identical is, that the society, for example at school, can try to identify their true strengths. Identifying the true strength makes it possible to find the fitting role. Forcing someone to do something he neither likes nor can do very well, will never give a good turnout. Someone who would be good a piloting a fighter jet not necessarly would be good at teaching.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
You know what, of all the terrible and dark things you can do in DOS2 (like "oh no, you can kill cute animals!"), I wonder why there is so much complaint about the elves armour (who are not even human)... Can't we get a thread about "please-don't-allow-the-players-to-kill-cute-animals" for a change? silly

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Testad

Hahahaha

Making a move eh? smile

lmao I'm already spoken for (happily going on three years <3 ) and unlike anime characters I find the idea of managing multiple lovers way too troublesome and draining @_@

Wouldn't mind trading in my sister for a better model though ;P

Ayvah Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I almost feel like I don't need to say anything. There have been plenty of colourful replies to this post that help make my point better than I ever could. There's certainly no need to create strawmen. They're living and breathing in this thread.

First, I'd like to thank SlamPow for sharing his experience. Thank you, Vometia, for clarifying your experience.

In response to Testad: those are some interesting assumptions. For the record, my family is pretty nuclear and my dad is ex-military, if that's masculine enough for you. Perhaps the defining feature of my parents is that they are both atheists who were raised in Christian families. In other words, they analysed the culture they were raised in and rejected it. That said, in matters of gender, they're certainly not much different to the rest of Australia. Both my parents work, but at home they generally take on their gendered roles.

Personally, when my wife and I have a child, I'd like to be the one taking time off work to look after the baby. Attitudes like yours make that goal less attainable.

Although melianos have pointed out flaws with the research references by Skallewag, I have taken this to heart and I will try to review the research on this further before responding. For now I'll point out that:

Regardless of any gender biases, there's still the problem of the earlier evidence I provided that demonstrate any actual differences to be cultural.

Yes, men take on more dangerous roles and are disproportionately represented in workplace fatalities. So are you going to tell me sexism isn't a problem? I never framed the issue of sexism as just a problem for women. It's a problem for everyone.

That's all I have time for right now.

You cannot have equality without creating inequality.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Ayvah
I almost feel like I don't need to say anything. There have been plenty of colourful replies to this post that help make my point better than I ever could. There's certainly no need to create strawmen. They're living and breathing in this thread.

First, I'd like to thank SlamPow for sharing his experience. Thank you, Vometia, for clarifying your experience.

In response to Testad: those are some interesting assumptions. For the record, my family is pretty nuclear and my dad is ex-military, if that's masculine enough for you. Perhaps the defining feature of my parents is that they are both atheists who were raised in Christian families. In other words, they analysed the culture they were raised in and rejected it. That said, in matters of gender, they're certainly not much different to the rest of Australia. Both my parents work, but at home they generally take on their gendered roles.

Personally, when my wife and I have a child, I'd like to be the one taking time off work to look after the baby. Attitudes like yours make that goal less attainable.

Although melianos have pointed out flaws with the research references by Skallewag, I have taken this to heart and I will try to review the research on this further before responding. For now I'll point out that:

Regardless of any gender biases, there's still the problem of the earlier evidence I provided that demonstrate any actual differences to be cultural.

Yes, men take on more dangerous roles and are disproportionately represented in workplace fatalities. So are you going to tell me sexism isn't a problem? I never framed the issue of sexism as just a problem for women. It's a problem for everyone.

That's all I have time for right now.

Hey! The OP finally got back to us! Things are about to heat up in here ;P

Good to see you going out of your way to read opposing data points.

And I recommend that you always do what you did their at the end by showing sexism as detrimental to both sides. It increases your credibility as an unbiased speaker.

I'd like to point out, whether "sexist" opinions exist are not, there's nothing legally stopping you and your wife bucking traditional gender roles in the relationship unless you really care all that much about other's opinions. I do it with mine all the time; it's a running gag that she's my boyfriend and I'm the girlfriend cause of how we normally interact.

EDIT:
Consider reading up on trends concerning stay home dads though. It's very......upsetting. Family units generally fall apart cause of the wife and then family/civil court basically drills them, the husbands, afterwards at times. There's also none of the legal support nets to help them back on their feet that women have. <- It's a growing problem. Hell, I looked it up and read about it cause I'd be the more likely one in a marriage to stay at take care of the kids. I'm neither really ambitious or very attached to a career.

EDIT_2:
There's also issues with when the father is the one taking the kid to the park alone and there's mostly just moms and so on.

Maybe you've considered this before, though. Just felt like saying something since you generally seem alright.

Last edited by aj0413; 04/10/16 11:21 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Hmmm...pretty sure i adressed someone else when i asked about the father.

i thought u are a woman....

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I do it with mine all the time; it's a running gag that she's my boyfriend and I'm the girlfriend cause of how we normally interact.

Lol i love this guy!

Dude now stop talking crazy and makes us some tea!

A
addict
addict
A
I do it with mine all the time; it's a running gag that she's my boyfriend and I'm the girlfriend cause of how we normally interact.

Lol i love this guy!

Dude now stop talking crazy and makes us some tea!

I keep 9 different brands and types in the house, along with cream, milk, honey, and different sugars...oh and cinnamon sticks :P I also make some damn fine grilled chicken sandwhiches and chicken soup.

My girlfriend would make a horrible horrible wife by traditional standards. @_@ If I left it to her she'd just eat mac and cheese and things out of cans or pre-made stuff. Oh my god, she can be perfectly fine eating nothing but Pasta Sides (just add milk and heat up) and Lipton Soup with some toast and other odds and ends.....

Nevermind, how low keeping our bedroom and shard office space cleaned and organized is for her.

Beautiful, intelligent, passionate woman.....definitely wouldn't be together if I considered traditional gender roles all that important, though.

EDIT: Would cinnamon sugar be it's own thing or just another type of sugar?? I never known if I should say it's an option explicitly or not

Last edited by aj0413; 04/10/16 11:29 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Skallewag
*sigh* No, there is not a general trend of discrimination against women in the workplace anymore, it has been made largely illegal. Yes you can find an anecdotal example of someone discriminating against your mother, and I can throw anecdotes right back abut the reverse.

Wow. Just wow.

Well, let's see, it would take me ten seconds and a single figure to disprove this, but why don't I just read the rest of your post?

Lets touch on this women in IT for a moment shall we, because not only are women not being barred from entering these fields, they are actually prefered for hire over men because there is such pressure from certain *ahem* groups to "get women into STEM"

I will however not be trying to spin an emotional argument based on some anecdote, lets instead look at some statistics.

From: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2015/04/women-preferred-21-over-men-stem-faculty-positions

"For decades, sexism in higher education has been blamed for blocking women from landing academic positions in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields.
But a new study by Cornell psychologists suggests that era has ended, finding in experiments with professors from 371 colleges and universities across the United States that science and engineering faculty preferred women two-to-one over identically qualified male candidates for assistant professor positions."

The question is, now that I can direct you to solid evidence that the situation in STEM is actually the reverse of what you were trying to argue based on some anecdotes, are you equally upset over reading about the reverse?
If we were to start extrapolating what kind of anecdotes of one gender being passed up for promotions based on specifically gender over merit, does the situation in reverse make you equally upset or do you take a neutral or even positive attitude towards it? I ask you this question more for you to honestly ask it of yourself than to present me with an answer, because if your spontaneous reaction to reading about preferential treatment of women in STEM was anything but an equal amount of disapproval you showed previouisly, why should anyone take your hypocritical indignation seriously?

Another relevant point when opting to explain the gender disparity in STEM fields as caused by sexism is the implications of this explanation. If the reason we find fewer women in these fields in the west, then what is the explanation for women earing a majority of science degrees in the following countries:

Iran
Oman
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Romania
Algeria
Bulgaria
Malaysia
Kyrgyzstan
Italy
Uzbekistan
Georgia (the country, not the state)
Panama
Lebanon
Argentina
Jordan
Palestinian Authority
Mongolia
Azerbaijan

Are we going to conclude that this list of countries is less sexist than a list of western countries? Is the explanation that Sweden has one of the most gender segregated workforces in the world that Sweden is simply more sexist than this long list topped by middle eastern countries?

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/faculty/mariacharles/documents/WhatGenderisScience.pdf

One might think that the sexism drum should start wearing out at some point considering how hard people are beating it over anything and everything.
But if Saudi Arabia is doing a much better job at curbing sexism in education, perhaps we should start taking cues from them as how to best eliminate the persistence of sexism here in the west? What do you say?

You literally quoted a source saying that sexism was so prevalent, that they have started to implement equally sexist programs to counteract it. Then quoted statistics explaining a clear disparity between women and men in the science field in other countries. I literally don't understand the basic premise of what you are trying to say - I said that sexism has been a demonstrable problem for my mother and many other women, brought up solid evidence proving such, and... now you're backing me up?? While saying the exact same thing you're very clearly proving is no longer an issue???

Let's look at another one of your posts, so I can try to further understand.

Ah, so the sexism only starts for professorships? I see. I guess we better make that call to Saudi Arabia and ask them to help us with this sexism problem. No.... actually lets look at some more possible causative factors before we continue mindlessly banging the sexism drum.

Gender differences at critical transitions in the careers of science, engineering and mathematics faculty
https://www.nap.edu/read/12062/chapter/1

Page 153
"The surveys of academic departments and faculty have yielded interesting and sometimes surprising findings. For the most part, male and female faculty in science, engineering, and mathematics have enjoyed comparable opportunities within the university, and gender does not appear to have been a factor in a number of important career transitions and outcomes."

Page 154
"Women accounted for about 17 percent of applications for both tenure-track and tenured positions in the departments surveyed. There was wide variation by field and by department in the number and percentage of female applicants for faculty positions. In general, the higher the percentage of women in the Ph.D. pool, the higher the percentage of women applying for each position in that field, although the fields with lower percentages of women in the Ph.D. pool had a higher propensity for those women to apply. The percentage of applicant pools that included at least one woman was substantially higher than would be expected by chance. However, there were no female applicants (only men applied) for 32 (6 percent) of the available tenure-track positions and 16 (16.5 percent) of the tenured positions."

Tell me, why would we expect gender pairity in these positions if women simply do not apply for them?
People and governments are bending over backwards to try to accomodate womens entry into various STEM fields, but they just don't apply in equal numbers. Could it possibly be that a full time academic career is simply less appealing to many women? No it has to somehow be sexism doesn't it?

Well then if the one true explanation for women becoming tenured professors because this just has to be something happening by design, lets have a look at the lower rungs of society. Lets tear our gaze from the top levels of academic positions and look at all the dirty and unpleasant jobs. Who works on deep sea fishing boats, oil rigs, in mines, with garbage disposal, heavy construction, and so on?
Oh whats that? Is it once more a category of job mainly held by men? Lets have a look at another gender disparity in the workplace. The work place fatality gap.

Fatal occupational injuries by worker characteristics and event or exposure, all United States, 2013
http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cftb0283.pdf

Apparantly there were a total of 4585 fatal work place injuries in the US 2013.
4265 of them were men and 319 were women. So 92.5% men and 7.5% women.
If the explanation for the number of women becoming professors in STEM fields is because this is what society wants and not the collective result of millions of peoples individual choises, does this means society want women to not be professors and wants men to die?

Shall we go have a look at the statistics for homelessness and suicide next and start drawing conclusions on how this is some sort of inentional agenda society has towards men?

How about you just put the identity politics stick down, stop mindlessly beating the sexism drum with it and stop trying to push god damn gender politics into every aspect of art and culture?

Nope. You're still backing me up. Thanks, man! One thing, though. Have you considered the "why" of why there are no women applying? I could give you my own anecdotes about what why my grandmother and my mother and my aunt (one of which, I have explained, is a degree-holding professor on this particular subject) believe that women are so heavily discouraged from applying. I have a feeling you wouldn't like that, though, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Now, onto what Testad said:

No no no, lets go back to that post and read it again:

"We have a saying "Any man is a king of his own house." What it probably means to you - Any man is free to do whatever he wants with his woman. What it really means - The man is responsible for everyone living under his roof, first of all the safety, physical mental and moral."

As I understood, I may be incorrect, that you were raised without a father figure?
Can we assume if this is true that your thought on this matter lack the (how should I say that) "a man responsible for his family and his woman" kinda vision? And overall mans vision on the issue of equality of man and woman.
If you were raised without a man to guide you to the meaning of being a "man" we will not understand each other at all. And everything I write will turn Arabic when you'll read it.
Being born a male doesn't necessarily makes one a mature man thus some understanding of what is right and what is wrong about this topic can be incorrect. I guess this, cause I wrote that very clear - about "being king of your household" but you apparently took it in a wrong way.
And I'm telling this not to offend anyone, especially you, God forbid, I'm just letting people see some other perspective on the issue. On the whole topic of being a man and a woman.
To give you some thoughts : try not to think about right now and what is right for the time we are living in, cause a lot of things that are accepted now is so wrong and was forced on us through decades. Try to think what is the natural way of things? What is the nature of man and a woman.
Someone said that man is meant to be a stupid warriors and die a lot and woman are suppose to be intelligent housekeepers.
Well one of the greatest warriors of our culture is a woman. There are a lot of great woman warriors throughout the history.
And its ok! There are no apparent stone written rules on the roles of woman in the society but there are some general differences. A woman can be anything and anyone she wants as any other human being. But lets go back to the q "what is the natural way of things". Warrior woman - is she happy being a warrior? What does she do when she comes to her tent after some battle. Is it not true that despite the circumstances that made her take arms and lead forces in her heart she wants to be a woman, she wants to care for her family in peace, shake all that responsibility from her shoulders and be loved and love? Tomorrow she can be a fierce warrior again (and even love the thrill of battle) because that's the role she took but what is her deep desires when things calm down.

As for man being a warrior for example is natural. Now keep a man at home and give him 3 babies to take care of them alone. That will be frustrating experience to a man. I mean on a deep level. Ask a man what does his child wants when he cries and he would not be able to explain, but woman senses those things, she knows exactly why the child is crying (he wants food, he wants to sleep, his stomach hearts, that kind of things). Have you ever felt frustrated when your woman will not stop asking you about what you feel or what you are thinking. They have this. They need to know whats going on in your head. They know when something is wrong, they kinda feel the air of the relationship. Man will never be able to do that.
Now that shows me (therefore its my opinion) that the whole this movements of man and woman being ABSOLUTLY the same is like some man are just looking for an excuse to not have any responsibility for a woman. An excuse to keep abusing and using a woman (sex sells).
Whereas I'm telling it again, woman should be protected, helped and cared for.

You also make literally no sense. Are you trying to say that I am not understanding the basic premise of your overtly sexist arguments because I was raised without a father figure? I was adopted by my adoptive father, and he stayed home and raised me. Because my mom couldn't stand to do so. I'm sorry, but there is literally nothing for me to debate here, as I am not understanding what point it is that you are trying to make.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Hahaha no worries man. I said it will turn all Arabic. Sorry for bringing your family up. I lost interest in the topic.

Last edited by Testad; 04/10/16 11:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hahaha no worries man. I said it will turn all Arabic. Sorry for bringing your family up. I lost interest in the topic.

Ah, it's cool man. FWIW, it makes me happy to hear that you and your wife are enjoying the dynamic that you've got going on. It's always nice to hear when it works out. =)

A
addict
addict
A
@SlamPow
I'm pretty sure the point was that sexism isn't there cause people acknowledged it was wrong at some point and are now actively going out of their way to encourage an influx of women....Thus the fields aren't sexist, but the gender disparity has carried over from the past. Thus meaning that if they want to show that their not sexist and/or fix the "perceived" sexism caused from gender population disparity, they must try to draw in new blood of the female persuasion. Which they're doing.

It's actually pretty mind boggling how much they'll bend over backwards and throw events, emails, speeches, and on and on at female members of my engineering school to support them and make doubly sure that theirs a steady influx of female freshman to enter the field. A bit here and there would've been understandable but it's so mindbogglingly even my girlfriend and her female friends and my housemate made fun of it.

It's also very illegal, not to say a touchy topic, to be sexist in the work place or even be perceived as sexist.

There are real reasons for gender disparity in engineering and STEM, but it's not cause of the people in the industry itself.....Well, at least that's what I got from all that and my own experiences and what I've seen around

^This is actually backed up from the descriptions Lady V gave of her own experiences concerning IT and sexism, it seems. Notice it was from people who didn't work with computers (per her description) and, that while the toxic environment at work effected both genders equally, the guys were more willing to stick around and thus causing gender disparity that has noting to do with sexism of those there itself.

Last edited by aj0413; 05/10/16 12:01 AM.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard